Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Santiago, Chile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I am going to Santiago Chile this weekend. Marriott lists a hotel there, anyone have any experience? I am on a short 3 day adventure with my 2 sons (24,22). No prior experience with Chile.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 4:25 pm

I was in Santiago at the Hyatt just up the street in Oct. '99, and they were just finishing up the Marriott. Looked quite impressive, entire structure looked too large for the number of rooms (~260 or something). The area is not downtown Santiago, but is a very upscale suburb. I loved it, lots to do in the city, it is very European...wide boulevards, lovely landscaping and gardens. Make sure to take the 1/2 day tour to Valparaiso -- beautiful drive.

Have fun!
Old Jun 19, 2001, 10:44 pm

I stayed at the Santiago Marriott last November. It is a new property, has a good health club and is located next to a large shopping area. Also, my departing flight was a red-eye and they did not charge me for the extra day, even though I checked out about 9:00PM.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks or the great feedback
Old Jun 20, 2001, 10:12 pm

Great hotel in my opinion!
Old Dec 27, 2001, 3:31 am

Programs: All over the place now.
Marriott Santiago?

Anyone ever stayed at or been to the Marriott in Santiago Chile? I am going in January and thought about using Hallmark Marriott GCs to stay at a nice place and still get something back!

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2001, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've never stayed there, but I will in February, so please post your experience.

Regarding the use of Marriott Cheques, I don't use them internationally because you get such a terrible exchange rate at most places. Instead, I charge the whole bill to my Marriott VISA card, getting triple points, and pay only 2% or so for the currency exchange. You might want to do some quick calculations before deciding what to do.

Bruce
Old Dec 27, 2001, 9:13 pm

I stayed at the Santiago Marriott for a week earlier this past year.

Overall, I have a very pleasant experience. The staff was very friendly and I had no problems not being able to speak any spanish. At one point, when I asked for a cab (they promote the Alamo cabs instead of the Black and Yellow ones) and had to wait for more than 10 minutes, the hotel paid my expense to take one of the yellow and black cabs.

For tourist trips, visit the business centre. They can arrange tours. Alternately, you can book a trip using the Alamo taxi service (or rent the car). A trip to a winery runs about 45US.

Rooms were large and clean and I had a nice view of the mountains (when the smog cleared).

The restaurants were fine, service was always with a smile.

Overall, other than the fact the hotel is out of the way (with regards to tourist stuff) and far from my business meetings, I would not hesitate to return.

Old Dec 29, 2001, 1:20 am

Programs: All over the place now.
Thanks to both of you for the info!

I didn't think about the exchange rate since I was always seeing rate quotes in USD and thought that's what I would pay.

I didn't realize this was far from tourist areas. Is it far from the "downtown" section?

I also considered the Sheraton 4 points (cheap) and a few other places.
Old Dec 29, 2001, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I agree with you, Bruce. I do the same as you do when outside the USA.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
I've never stayed there, but I will in February, so please post your experience.

Regarding the use of Marriott Cheques, I don't use them internationally because you get such a terrible exchange rate at most places. Instead, I charge the whole bill to my Marriott VISA card, getting triple points, and pay only 2% or so for the currency exchange. You might want to do some quick calculations before deciding what to do.

Bruce
</font>
Old Feb 21, 2002, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thought I would revive this thread to see if anyone has stayed here in the last six months or so. I'm considering this for a possible trip later this year
Old Feb 21, 2002, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there for three nights February 15-18, 2002. It is really a terrific hotel, with a very nice Concierge Lounge and pool. My only complaint is the location; the hotel is a mile or two beyond the end of the subway line. It's really too far to walk. Taxis to and from the subway cost about $3, so it's not really a big deal in terms of cost. However, with the time involved, you aren't likely to be coming and going more than a couple of times a day.

Bruce
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:23 pm

Santiago Marriott

I tried a Search but nothing popped up. Any experiences with this property and its location? Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
My wife and I stayed at the Santiago Chile Marriott on a 2 day award stay in Oct 2001. I was in Chile on business at the Radisson and moved over for 2 more days of vacation at the end of the trip. Located in Las Condes - a busy upscale area of shops and stores and people. Nearby (walking) malls, movies, restaurants. We walked everywhere.

Gold MR member at the time - no upgrade/conc level for my award stay - but got a very nice updated room on the 14th floor. Nice restaraunt in the lower level lobby that serves upscale Chilean - had the fondue prix fix. (Wasn't offered that time of year - but did it special upon request - broth/chocolate VERY GOOD). Has a nice gift shop with chilean jewelery, good lobby bar. At the time (Oct 2001) made all guests have all bags hand checked at lobby door - before entering hotel - even guests etc. (after Terrorist attacks in US - don't think they still do that).

About a $20-25 cab ride from airport. Very nice hotel and would recommend it.

For my wife and I - we didn't need a car and walked a lot around there.

If you are going to Chile and have some time - be sure to setup some winery trips (day trips from hotel) or go to Vina del Mar. Also, there is a artist/farmers market that is very cool - tons to buy. You can walk to it - or it is a short cab ride away. I can't remember the name but a great way to spend 1/2 day and get some great copper items and clothes. Mrs. MSP Flyer got a great Chilean/Peruvian sweater - great price.

** Also - the hotel and airport currency exchange - better $ than ordering foreign currency in advance. Change at the malls, airport, or hotels - better rates and less hassle. Also, US citizens have to pay a $60 entry fee in USD upon arrival - reciept stapled into passport - good for life of passport. **

MSP Flyer
Old Jun 2, 2003, 4:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Oreck:
I tried a Search but nothing popped up. Any experiences with this property and its location? Thanks</font>

Thanks MSP. Good advice and good to know about entry fee beidng good for life of passport. It is even more for Canucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.