Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:20 am

I have to admit that the bfast at this prop is nice and the discount to $17 does make it worth it.

Dan
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs down Resort Fees

Anyone notice that Marriott "resorts" are tacking on a resort fee much more often now? In fact, I had a reservation that had no fee when I originally booked it, and now when I look at the res there is a 30/day resort fee tacked on, even on a points stay.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
This is only from memory, but I thought reward stays didn't incur resort fees.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always been able to opt out if the original reservation didn't state the fees.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I hate these "add-on" resort fees that usually give me "access" to things I don't want or need.

In the past, the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale would just automatically waive their resort fee for platinum members (I was told they assumed that platinum elites were likely there for business and not partaking in the stuff that the resort fee covered anyway). It's been 2 years since we stayed there, though...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
In fact, I had a reservation that had no fee when I originally booked it, and now when I look at the res there is a 30/day resort fee tacked on, even on a points stay.
I would print a copy of your original reservation showing there is no resort fee and take that with you on your trip. I thought that hotels are supposed to show all fees at the time the reservation is made. Therefore, if not resort fee is mentioned, they are supposed to be able to charge it to you later.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by 9809JD
I hate these "add-on" resort fees that usually give me "access" to things I don't want or need.

In the past, the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale would just automatically waive their resort fee for platinum members (I was told they assumed that platinum elites were likely there for business and not partaking in the stuff that the resort fee covered anyway). It's been 2 years since we stayed there, though...
Camelback still waives this for Platinums. Was there not too long ago.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
A number of years ago Harbor Beach had a class action suit that resulted in a settlement based upon "resort fees" failing to be properly disclosed if I remember correctly.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Resort fees waived at RC resorts?

I've had success as a plat getting Marriott resorts to waive resort fees. We have a stay planned at Dove Mountain later this year and I wondered if I could expect Ritz to do the same. Doesn't make much sense to get free internet as a gold/plat elite if you still need to pay the resort fee that includes internet.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I paid the $45 resort fee at the Ritz Grand Cayman last weekend.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
The resort fee at Dove Mtn includes valet parking, among other things. I was able to get out of it but they don't actual make figuring out where you are really allowed to self-park very easy. The signs are totally confusing (there is a huge parking lot and every sign seems to indicate that every space is for valet or employees; we couldn't figure it out but parked in where we thought was okay, only to realize each time afterwards that there was yet another little sign saying it was for something else). However, in reality, the parking lot is really a very convenient short walk from the building.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by melroseman

1. I've had success as a plat getting Marriott resorts to waive resort fees.

2. We have a stay planned at Dove Mountain later this year and I wondered if I could expect Ritz to do the same.
1. You were lucky.
2. No.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:39 am

Resort Fee?

My daughter is staying at the Eden Roc Renaissance Miami Beach using a 5 night points certificate and was told the reservation was subject to a $25/day resort fee. What does this 'surcharge' cover?

The reservation states - Additional service charges or resort fees may apply where applicable. When is it and when is it not applicable?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Unfortunately, it's common for resorts to charge daily fees that can cover a myriad of things (usually basic items) such as internet, health club, water in room, etc. Each property comes up with their own list of items included in the fee, so it's impossible to know what is included w/o asking the individual property... and it can change as they modify it from time to time.

This practice is very frustrating but has become commonplace in the industry... just another way to increase the room rate.

Since your daughter is staying at the hotel now... just ask her to have the front desk explain what's included.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Most resort fees are simply revenue enhancement charges so the property does not have to raise their rates and look unfavorable when compared to lower rate properties. It's just like the junk fees the airlines have been doing and should be abolished the same way. If the properties won't do it on their own, then government regulation should be brought into play to protect consumers. One property, I read, had the audacity to charge a CCF (Common Cleaning Fee) on a folio!

There may also be an issue of avoiding certain taxes if "resort fees" do qualify for occupancy taxes most hotels must collect. So maybe there is incentives for the local taxing authorities to get in the game here! I was at one property where the booked rate included breakfast, but instead of billing the room at the full rate, they reduced the room rate by their charge for breakfast, added breakfast as a separate line item and charged sales tax on that. Very clear some game playing was going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.