Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pewpew
Any thoughts on whether you'll get nights rolled over if you're a plat through SPG? In my case, I have 15 nights from the Chase card (which I got in August 2017, so it presumably won't give me more nights until August 2018) and 0 nights otherwise, but I'm an SPG plat which I've matched to Marriott platinum. I'm going to be getting 60 Marriott nights pretty quickly in the year, but then I won't have many more stays afterwards--will I be fine for platinum, or will I have to wait until August?
Your status is matched between the two programs so if you are Plat with one, you are Plat for both. Only MR nights will be considered for rollovers and not SPG nights. So you will need to earn over 75 nights in MR to get any rollover nights in 2018.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
One year, I had 23 rollover nights as a silver. The way the math worked, I figured out that I could rollover 23 nights if I stopped staying at Marriott when I hit 48 nights for the year. If I had continued to stay at Marriott, I would have barely made gold. At the time, I mainly stayed at Springhill Suites and Courtyards where there isn't much difference between silver and gold anyway. The next year, those 23 rollover nights helped me reach platinum for the first time. I stopped at 48 nights because I was concerned that Marriott might comp me gold status at 49 nights since I was so close. I specifically wanted the rollover nights to help me get to the next lifetime status, too.

So the big gap in nights between silver and gold can generate some good rollover potential as well.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

That's interesting... If you stay exactly 75 nights for Platinum, you get 75 lifetime nights added to your account. However if you stay 48 nights to earn Silver, you get 48 + 38 rollover nights = 86 lifetime nights to account.

Is that how it works??? I'm at 135 nights anyway for the year so in for a nice rollover anyway. But just thinking out of the box.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
That's interesting... If you stay exactly 75 nights for Platinum, you get 75 lifetime nights added to your account. However if you stay 48 nights to earn Silver, you get 48 + 38 rollover nights = 86 lifetime nights to account.

Is that how it works??? I'm at 135 nights anyway for the year so in for a nice rollover anyway. But just thinking out of the box.
No, you have to exceed your highest status this year. So if you ARE Plat you must earn over 75 nights, regardless what you will be next year. If you ARE Silver this year and you stay 48 nights, then yes, you will get 48 nights added to your LT count for this year's activity and when they post the rollover nights (38) they will also be added to your LT nights. Those 38 rollover nights will count towards your status when posted. Only 12 nights needed to make Gold.

The 2018 posting will be the last if they stay to plan.

Last edited by RogerD408; Dec 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by JCrew7384

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, you have to exceed your highest status this year. So if you ARE Plat you must earn over 75 nights, regardless what you will be next year. If you ARE Silver this year and you stay 48 nights, then yes, you will get 48 nights added to your LT count for this year's activity and when they post the rollover nights (38) they will also be added to your LT nights. Those 38 rollover nights will count towards your status when posted. Only 12 nights needed to make Gold.

The 2018 posting will be the last if they stay to plan.
In my case, I was silver with 15 rollover nights from the year before. So I had 48 nights for the year, and 23 of them rolled over. But if the silver member is starting from zero and had 48 nights for the year, there would be 38 rollover nights.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Rollover nights

Hi, any help appreciated. I did search. I'm a UK member if it makes difference.
In 2017 I had plat status and in 2018 my plat status became gold. I did 30 nights in 2017.
I assume my 2018 gold status is due to a soft landing - is it? If that is the case then should those 30 nights have rolled over from 2017 to 2018?
Old May 27, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CityRules
In 2017 I had plat status and in 2018 my plat status became gold. I did 30 nights in 2017.
I assume my 2018 gold status is due to a soft landing - is it? If that is the case then should those 30 nights have rolled over from 2017 to 2018?
It certainly appears that you got a soft landing. You didn't get rollover nights because your 30 nights were less than the nights required for Gold qualification. If, for example, you had done 60 nights you would have qualified for gold and rolled 10 nights into 2018.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CityRules
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
It certainly appears that you got a soft landing. You didn't get rollover nights because your 30 nights were less than the nights required for Gold qualification. If, for example, you had done 60 nights you would have qualified for gold and rolled 10 nights into 2018.
Actually, since you had Plat status in 2017, you needed over 75 nights EARNED (not counting any previous rollover nights) before any rollover nights would have been issued this year. Although a moot point now, you need to earn more nights that your tier at the end of the year to get rollovers. But that's all history now. No more rollover nights (until they reinstate the program).
Old May 28, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Thanks PHL and Roger. I was just checking to see if it was worth pursuing with MR but clearly not. (I was thinking that if I had stayed 0 nights in 2017 while plat then I would still have been gold in 2018 due to soft landing. Therefore the 30 nights I did stay in 2017 would be rolled over because they were not "used").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.