Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
As I read it, you're getting overflow nights from your end-of-year status level towards the next year's accumulation.

So if you're gold and make Plat this year, your rollover is any additional nights after you make Plat.
That's the interpretation that makes sense.

But then there is this language smack in the middle of the email (in bold, no less):

Every night you stay above the 50 nights needed to maintain your current Gold level in 2009 is yours to keep and count toward your 2010 Elite status.

Confusing? Perhaps.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I have to say that there must be more details on this promo that will come out or it definitely makes no sense.

Example:
If I am a Gold and have 67 stays or so in November and have (let's say) 10 more nights to stay until the end of the year, my options could be:

* Stay all 10 at Marriott, become Platinum and have 2 nights roll over to 2010.
* Stay 7 nights at Marriott, stay Gold but have 24 nights roll over to 2010 and be almost halfway to Gold again.

Something is off with that. There is almost a dis-incentive to reach Platinum when you are that far ahead on Gold already.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I have to say that there must be more details on this promo that will come out or it definitely makes no sense.

Example:
If I am a Gold and have 67 stays or so in November and have (let's say) 10 more nights to stay until the end of the year, my options could be:

* Stay 7 nights at Marriott, stay Gold but have 24 nights roll over to 2010 and be almost halfway to Gold again.

Something is off with that. There is almost a dis-incentive to reach Platinum when you are that far ahead on Gold already.
if you place little or no value in the extra benefits of being a Plat, then you might interpret this as a disincentive.

My interpretation is - if you reach a new level this year on your own, like always, congratulations - they're adding the extra benefit of allowing you to roll over any excess nights above your highest level achieved so you can start out "ahead" in your quest for next year.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik
Every night you stay above the 50 nights needed to maintain your current Gold level in 2009 is yours to keep and count toward your 2010 Elite status.
I underlined the operative part to help you out.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reddirt14
However from my basic understanding of marketing and business, I don't really understand how giving me the oportunity to tryout the competition will help them. This is interesting. Must be one of those newly minted MBAs who came up with this idea. But I thought no one was hiring the freshly minted MBAs in this down economy. Not sure what's going on at Marriott HQ. But why should I worry about their mistakes - I'll just take advantage of it.
If you attain Plat status and then never use it, how is that a benefit for you? Take your cynic filter off for just a minute or two - maybe it's just a new innovative promotion. Might work for them; might not.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I genuinely believe Marriott is trying to give us a real enhancement here. (I grumble about other things related to Plat status, but not this particular enhancement... )

We FT'ers are likely to find specific cases where the enhancement yields an odd result. The notion that one might purposely get their total EQN number to 74 (regardless of how many "real" nights it takes to get there) and then purposely stop isn't a user scenario that statistically affects their overall demographic.

I don't believe Marriott is eliminating the other semi-related feature that they don't advertise much: the fact that they will bump you up a level if your EQN counter hits the magic number in any rolling 12-month period.

In the previous "down" business cycle during which I was a Marriott frequent guest, I did not recall any of these types of promotions....but I do recall that Marriott was lenient on requalification for the same status. I had two years where I did not fully requal Gold, but they left my status alone. (This was before the credit card give 15 EQN...you really needed 50 nights in the beds to officially reach Gold.)

In this down cycle, I think Marriott is trying to wrap a bit more structure around requalification: they recognize that we aren't traveling as much and want to keep their elites, but I don't expect arbitrary comps into future years without meeting one of the qualifications.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
As I read it...
So if you're gold and make Plat this year, your rollover is any additional nights after you make Plat.
As I read it...

If you're Silver for 2009, any nights over 10 get credited to next year.
If you're Gold for 2009, any nights over 50 get credited to next year.
If you're PLT for 2009, any nights over 75 get credited to next year.
If you're PP for 2009, any nights over 100 get credited to next year.

Advancing a level doesn't "reset" your rollover counter.

Example:

Or the right answer, stay 10 more nights, qualify for PLT, and carry over 27 nights to next year.

Which is why it's not the case. People are really trying to over complicate this. It's not rocket surgery.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11670942-post132.html

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
As I read it...

If you're Silver for 2009, any nights over 10 get credited to next year.
If you're Gold for 2009, any nights over 50 get credited to next year.
If you're PLT for 2009, any nights over 75 get credited to next year.
If you're PP for 2009, any nights over 100 get credited to next year.

Advancing a level doesn't "reset" your rollover counter.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11670942-post132.html
Taking a look at the info provided by Marriott Concierge - in the post you link to - is in direct contradiction to what you say!

This is correct-at the end of the year, before we do the end of year update we take a look at the elite status currently held. The amount of nights over the amount needed for the Elite status you hold will rollover into 2010 to be counted towards renewal and achievement during 2010.
By my read of this, advancing a level in the current year DOES reset your "rollover count."

You can't start at Silver this year, advance to Gold then Plat all in 2009, and then have all nights over 25 roll over. You'll only roll over those excess nights past your highest elite level reached. That's my interpretation of the promo and what Chris says.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Hi CPRich,

I readily admit that I am probably an idiot with this. However, I tried the link you provided and don't see where it contradicts anything I mentioned above.

Essentially, if I am Platinum and stay 76 nights, I get a 1 night carryover towards elite in 2010.

If I am Gold and stay 74 nights, I get a 24 night carryover towards elite in 2010.

To take it a step further, if I am Silver and stay 49 nights, I have a whopping 34 nights carryover towards elite in 2010. What am I missing?

Please show me where I am wrong and I will be glad to admit my incorrect reading. I just don't understand it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I actually like this deal, I'm currently at 55 nights, so by next month I should be platinum for 2010. And then by Jan I should most def have platinum locked in for 2011.

Now I can try to rack up some SPG points and see what HH is all about.
Old May 3, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This is almost perfect timing for me. I switch jobs in June and don't think that I'll get nearly as much travel.
Prior to switching jobs, I'll have ~100 nights with Marriott this year. I'll take a couple of personal trips with the wife during the second half of 2009, putting me at 115 or so for the year. It'll be nice to get 40 nights toward 2010 Plat status in case I end up with very little 2010 travel. Add in the 15 nights from Visa and I'll only 20 actual nights in 2010 to maintain plat through 2011 - that'll be easy since I'll make sure to take enough vacations to hit that mark.
Old May 3, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
I will easily requal plat for 2010so the double nights are not a huge deal. The roll over will be nice but what I could really use is double LIFETIME nights. Do the double nights count toward lifetime status?
Old May 3, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
I will easily requal plat for 2010so the double nights are not a huge deal. The roll over will be nice but what I could really use is double LIFETIME nights. Do the double nights count toward lifetime status?
According to THIS post by Marriott Concierge, yes.
Old May 3, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
YES all nights and points, earned or through promotions count as lifetime status!
Old May 3, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Excellent!

Thanks for the quick responses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.