Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Upgrade with New Marriott Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2001, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

In today's mail I got an offer for a Marriott Visa. I've gotten them in the past and usually throw them in the trash immediately because I'm satisfied with my current credit card assortment.

But this solicitation offered to upgrade my Marriott Rewards account from Silver to Gold... except it didn't list a timeframe for the upgrade. Is it three months? A year? Until my current card runs out?

Has anyone received/taken advantage of this offer?

I doubt I'd keep the card longer than a year and typically I don't like to sign up for additional cards. But this one has me intrigued...

Any thoughts, comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Nov 20, 2001, 9:28 pm
Original Member

They got to be kidding. 50-night status for opening a credit card account!!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2001, 10:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
GregL, I have had the card for many years. It just comps me to silver, as I am a leisure traveler primarily. The comp lasts all year long and then each year I renew the card.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the card for gold status if you stay at Marriott a lot.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 11:42 pm
R&R

Verrrry interesting. Must be tough times for the chain.

Old Nov 21, 2001, 7:50 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GregL:

In today's mail I got an offer for a Marriott Visa. I've gotten them in the past and usually throw them in the trash immediately because I'm satisfied with my current credit card assortment.

But this solicitation offered to upgrade my Marriott Rewards account from Silver to Gold... except it didn't list a timeframe for the upgrade. Is it three months? A year? Until my current card runs out?

I doubt I'd keep the card longer than a year and typically I don't like to sign up for additional cards. But this one has me intrigued...

Thanks,
Greg
</font>
---

If I got it, and I surely should have ( ), I'd take it for sure!

All the best to you! You are sooo VERY "lucky!"
Old Nov 21, 2001, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
If this is true, MR Gold is just becoming another Hilton Honors Gold. That is another commodity that anyone can have without having to earn it. Put another way, another hotel elite program selling itself out. The one thing that keeps me a MR loyal customer is that they don't give away the house. I don't have to compete with a bunch of travelers who stay at a marriott a few times a year for upgrades like happens at Hilton

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GregL:

Thanks,
Greg
</font>
Old Nov 21, 2001, 12:51 pm

Location: Fairfax, VA Delta Silver, UAL 2P, USAIR Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond.
Its true, I got one too.
Offer to upgrade from Silver to Gold. No annual fee for one year ($30 a year after). 5,000 Bonus points with first purchase.

I assume Gold Status is for member year 2002.

Usually I throw Credit Card Offers out as well, but Gold gives me continental breakfast and chance of Upgrade. I'm pretty sure I'll sign up since I do enjoy the perks of Hilton Gold.

Offer expires Dec 17.

[This message has been edited by cperks (edited 11-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cperks (edited 11-21-2001).]
Old Nov 21, 2001, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Was there an offer code associated with this?
Old Nov 21, 2001, 10:47 pm

Location: Fairfax, VA Delta Silver, UAL 2P, USAIR Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond.
It came as a direct mail piece (no web site) which I need to fill out and return via mail.

However, I think I figured out the offer code from the form. I'll try to sign up by calling and offering the code. If it works, I'll post by Saturday.
Old Nov 23, 2001, 5:39 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
I made Gold for the first time this year and got my package yesterday. I thought it would mean something when I next attend a Marriott but I guess it won't anymore. The room upgrades will all be taken by people who had the good sense to take out yet another credit card. Good thing I don't use the Concierge lounge as it will be very crowded!
Old Nov 23, 2001, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
It is Silver to Gold, and it is some effort to get to Silver. I think the double points/Q nights through March will have a bigger impact than the credit card will.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 2:09 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I had been thinking about getting the MR card for a while now, and this offer pushed me over the edge. I am currently Silver because I had barely 15 nights in 2000, and I had only three nights this year because I switched to Hilton to collect 175,000+ bonus points from about 25 nights of stays this year. I'm HHonors Gold, which is sort of a cheap status, but most Hiltons do treat you pretty well. I will be staying in Marriotts for about 8-10 days in 2002 (vacation), and I will be planning a good-sized party at a Marriott in mid-02, and if nothing else, the Gold status will be nice for those stays.

You guys who got MR Gold the hard way - are they offering Platinum to you with the Visa card? I hope so, because the Gold level just got a bit cheaper...
Old Nov 28, 2001, 7:12 pm
Original Member

I called First USA today and inquired about the upgrade status.I currently have the Marriott Visa.The rep did not know a thing about the offer, but after checking with the promo department came back with"it is available, but it is a targeted promotion". I mentioned that if I was not given the same offer, I would have no other recourse but to cancel the accounts I have with First USA(Marriott Silver is hardly worth the yearly card fee). I figured the $30.00 I paid for Silver status was worth just as much as the person who pays $30.00 for Gold. When he told me that he could not honor my request after checking to see if he could make me the offer,I asked to cancel my accounts, which forwarded my call to the person who tries to keep someone from cancelling an account. After explaining what I was looking for, he took down the particulars and forwarded my request to an appeals department and I should have my answer within 7-10 days, hopefully not of the generic reply sort. I would try this approach if you currently have the Marriott card. I will post the First USA reply if and when I receive it.
I am currently Hilton Gold( I did it the hard way), and have not seen the deterioration of the Honors program that many here are worried about when they started offering Gold for 4 stays. Judging by the comments in the Hilton Forum, these upgrades have generally received positive comments.In fact, Hilton,in my opinion,has improved the way they treat their elites since I started as an HHonors member and I have not had any problems redeeming points for stays, upgrading to better rooms, and receiving breakfast vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.