Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:55 pm

BTS stop for REN is Chit Lom and for JW would be Phloen Chit. BKKLEE was incorrect about REN (Phloen Chit) from a previous post. Thanks to BKKLEE for an update on Marriott Sukhumvit 57.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I stand corrected........for the Ren it is Chitlom and not Ploenchit station..............
THXs for pointing it out (senility after living here for 15-yrs!!!)

Originally Posted by YYZ7464
BTS stop for REN is Chit Lom and for JW would be Phloen Chit. BKKLEE was incorrect about REN (Phloen Chit) from a previous post. Thanks to BKKLEE for an update on Marriott Sukhumvit 57.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:03 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Checked in at Marriott Sukhumvit now, big disappointment..... staff not really welcoming. .. totally different level compared to the other marriott properties. Paint smell everywhere but that was expected. .. construction noise I wasn't expecting. .... most tv channels arent clear except the thai channela..... happy it's only a one night stay....

Club lounge is not impressive. .. food offering is really limited. . Less choice then at courtyard.

Breakfast only offered in lounge but it's not that bad...

Will not return here....

Last edited by cln; Aug 14, 2013 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I appreciate the reviews on the Marriott Sukhumvit 57. I am planning my next trip and think I will stick with the CY.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:17 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Just finished up a short stay at the CY this past Wednesday. Still highly recommended. I cancelled Suk 57 based on previous stay and some not so good recent reviews.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH D, MR Plat, SPG G
Originally Posted by cln
Checked in at Marriott Sukhumvit now, big disappointment..... staff not really welcoming. .. totally different level compared to the other marriott properties. Paint smell everywhere but that was expected. .. construction noise I wasn't expecting. .... most tv channels arent clear except the thai channela..... happy it's only a one night stay....

Club lounge is not impressive. .. food offering is really limited. . Less choice then at courtyard.

Breakfast only offered in lounge but it's not that bad...

Will not return here....
I stayed a couple of nights here two weeks ago just to check it out and have to agree with your assessment except that I found the staff both at check-in and in the lounge to be very welcoming and nice. One bright spot is the District Steakhouse, I did have a fantastic meal there. The views from the Octave lounge are great with the open air bar. I probably won't return though as the other properties far outshine the experience here.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Marriott Sukhumvit 57 showing the nightly rate of THB 2,800++ ... great deal especially if you are a Platinum.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:52 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
At the courtyard now for some nights and I dont see any improvements at CL.

Caesar Salad is great though

Nothing to complain about. Really like the location and value for money....
Renaissance is great yes but usually I just cant justify the price difference..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Marriott Sukhumvit 57 showing the nightly rate of THB 2,800++ ... great deal especially if you are a Platinum.
hmm checked for december, but found only 3.500,-- :-/

tempted however to try the exec apartments sukh 57. good price for stays over 6 nights of around 3.300 thb++ for dec/jan. i wonder if they'd admit people from the exec apts to the lounge as they don't really seem to seperate the two "properties" as much yet seems.. but I strongly guess I'd be wrong :-/
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:17 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cln
At the courtyard now for some nights and I dont see any improvements at CL.

Caesar Salad is great though

Nothing to complain about. Really like the location and value for money....
Renaissance is great yes but usually I just cant justify the price difference..
Well after all it is a Court Yard. They have absolutely no obligation to even provide a lounge; and while not the Ren but while modest it is decent; nor do they have any obligation to offer a comp buffet breakfast to elites. And the staff is super great.

For a real authentic CY experience try the one in Memphis with no lounge of course and absolutely nothing comp, and experience the new "Bistro" walk up counter with overpriced mediocre food--that by the way they did not even have any raw onions for a burger. "We don't have any fresh onions in house" to quote the surly server.

The BKK CY is a gem and a great value. Be thankful.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:27 am
dfe
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Chris26WI

tempted however to try the exec apartments sukh 57. good price for stays over 6 nights of around 3.300 thb++ for dec/jan. i wonder if they'd admit people from the exec apts to the lounge as they don't really seem to seperate the two "properties" as much yet seems.. but I strongly guess I'd be wrong :-/
I was there during the first month of opening earlier this year and the Exec. Lounge on 44 was not yet open. I was directed the Exec. Apt Lounge on 2. Terribly weak in my opinion. In fact for two out of three nights I was the only guest there at prime cocktail hour. I think everyone else had figured it out--not worth the effort.

So just a guess, I expect they restrict the Apt. guests to the Lounge on 2 and no reciprocity for Apt. guests to get into the Exec. Lounge on 44.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dfe
I was there during the first month of opening earlier this year and the Exec. Lounge on 44 was not yet open. I was directed the Exec. Apt Lounge on 2. Terribly weak in my opinion. In fact for two out of three nights I was the only guest there at prime cocktail hour. I think everyone else had figured it out--not worth the effort.

So just a guess, I expect they restrict the Apt. guests to the Lounge on 2 and no reciprocity for Apt. guests to get into the Exec. Lounge on 44.
yep, as discussed previously, been there in May too.. [maybe I was the other guest there in the lounge during your 3d night ;-) ] - well anyway if the "resident's lounge" was originally for the exec apts guests' (I guess only for the elite members?!)..- didn't realize that at that time - that would be a nice treat anyway.. (even if inferior to a FS club lounge).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:04 am
dfe
In memoriam

yep, as discussed previously, been there in May too.. [maybe I was the other guest there in the lounge during your 3d night ;-) ] - well anyway if the "resident's lounge" was originally for the exec apts guests' (I guess only for the elite members?!)..- didn't realize that at that time - that would be a nice treat anyway.. (even if inferior to a FS club lounge).
Well maybe they have picked up their act but to palm off such a weak effort as a Exec Lounge even if temporary during opening, they did not even come close. No staff available (or were hiding somewhere in the background); so no greeting; pour your own drinks with limited selection; and nothing great in terms of food offerings, even though they had a kitchen. I sure did not think that it was a nice treat. They should have been way upscale to prove their worth during the opening month, and to encourage return visits from elites. Instead it was like a lame side show with no management oversight.

As I said maybe they have improved, but otherwise forget the Apt lounge as a treat

But based on this experience and a few other things -- like no upgrade and miserable service at the Octave, and according to reviews (not my own actual experience) now being forced into a not so great breakfast in the Lounge instead of having the buffet option and not so great evening offerings in the Lounge--and not a very convenient location in terms of Central I decided to cancel a recent reservation.

On the other hand the staff was outstanding, with the desk clerk immediately recognizing me from previous stays at the Pattaya Marriott, to the dining room manager who continued to re-fill my orange juice glass; and a really engaging front door attendant.

The Ren and CY are much better options in my opinion. But for low price and apt amenities maybe OK, but even the CY is less in December.

I will await further reviews before making a return visit. But that is just me--your mileage (and points) may vary.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by dfe
No staff available (or were hiding somewhere in the background); so no greeting; pour your own drinks with limited selection; and nothing great in terms of food offerings, even though they had a kitchen. I sure did not think that it was a nice treat. They should have been way upscale to prove their worth during the opening month, and to encourage return visits from elites. Instead it was like a lame side show with no management oversight.

As I said maybe they have improved, but otherwise forget the Apt lounge as a treat
hmmmmm well.... maybe we weren't there at the exactly same time anway.. I thought it was still OK, the offerings... inferior to the Ren/JW of course, but STRONGLY superior to the CY's lounge..
(also at my time always staff on duty in the residents lounge)

apart from that, I just like their pool at Sukh 57. And - in contrary to most other posters here - I'm not really a big fan of the CY.. (don't like their rooms as much).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I was looking at rates in September

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.