Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Old May 15, 2004, 9:59 pm
Suspended

J.W. in Bangkok is Guest Friendly

I've gotton some pvt thingos about the "guest" policy at the J.W. on Sukhumwit in Bangkok...Yes they are guest friendly w/o ID checks etc and you may bring your guest to breakfast in the Exec floor lounge even if you are reg as a single..... I trust I was politely clear! Right thru the main door and they will open the door and welcome your new found "friend" to the hotel!
Old May 16, 2004, 12:40 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Huh?...............
Old May 16, 2004, 1:19 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Red face Not a recent surprise!

They are assuming, that YOU are doing the initial screening process for
SECURITY reasons!
You are aren't you?

Old May 16, 2004, 8:56 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
I have always felt very welcome and very safe at this hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:30 am

Just returned from 2 priceline stays and was happily surprised by the quality of the service and the rooms. I had decided not to stay at the Conrad because of some loung access probs and the Pen was getting pricey and we were travelling with our daughter. We booked 2 Priceline rooms for 43 dollars each and were placed in connecting rooms- manager reception and no feeling that we were second class citizens. Kudos to Marriott.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mayfair Hotel - BKK - Marriott Executive Residences

Has any one ever stayed at The Mayfair Executive Residences?

I'm going to BKK and they've got a 3-bedroom suite for 210/night - I'll be traveling with 4 other people, so it'd be 42/person/night (in BKK for 2 nights) and it includes a full hot breakfast. Last time I was in BKK, I stayed at the Marriott Riverside, which was a very nice hotel. I'm inclined to stay there again, but as we're 5 people, we'd need 2 rooms & one person would have to sleep on a roll-away. The Mayfair has 3 bedrooms (1 King, 1 Queen, and 2 twins) and that would work out for us perfectly (3 singles & a couple - the couple would take the King room).

Anyone know how close/far this is from a Skytrain station (it says easy walking distance on the website)? Anyone ever stay here and have anything good/bad to say? If you were going to BKK with 4 other people (who have never been anywhere but Europe before), would you stay here or would you stay at the Marriott Riverside (I'm not really interested in the JW Marriott that much).

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Cool

I've only stayed at the Marriott Riverside and I too loved it. It looks like a five minute walk from the Mayfair to Chit Lom Skytrain station. It looks like you have to decide whether you want to be in a resort atmosphere or a high rise in the middle of the financial district. The downside of the Riverside is the fifth person sleeps on a cot. If it were me, I'd stay at the Riverside because I think your group will leave with a better feel for Thailand than the mad rush of "downtown" Bangkok. If you're going to be there awhile, consider seeing Phuket. Its really beautiful and much calmer than Bangkok. The JW Phuket is a real gem and you can book last minute flights cheap when you get to Bangkok. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:56 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I haven't stayed there, but I had a look at it last August when I was hunting around for a serviced apartment. Its a good ten minute walk from the Chidlom Skytrain station although the sales manager who showed me the apartments said that there was a shortcut through the back of the hotel that made it a five minute walk to the Rajadamri Skytrain station. Its located on Soi Langsuan, which has several very nice restaurants, and taxis are easy to get...the doorman can hail one for you.

I didn't see the 3 bedroom suite, but the 2 bedroom ones were very spacious. Furniture had the sharp-edged look, if you know what I mean, and it came with a large flat screen tv, dvd player, microwave, washing machine/dryer. The pool on the top floor (25?) is awesome....very spa-like atmosphere there, although you can feel the area is small.

When I looked at it last year, it was brand new - only half the floors were ready and I was told several of the facilities would be completed "by the end of 2003". Even given Thai time, I think it should be fully functional by now

IIRC, you don't get stay credit, but you get 3 Marriot points per dollar.

I haven't stayed at the Marriott Riverside, but I'm biased towards staying in an apartment/suite if I was travelling in a group of 5 who were close friends or family.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the input - we've gone ahead & booked the room. I stayed at the Marriott Riverside in January, so I figure it'll be cool to get a 3-room suite - I can't even imagine what it's like as I've only seen them in movies!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:16 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa

Greetings from a Marriott newbie... I'm a Hilton Diamond and a SPG Platinum but never stay at Marriotts.

I have an upcoming stay at the Marriott Bangkok and am reserved for a basic room.

I'd really like to make it a special stay and am wondering what options are out there. I'm unfamiliar with the Marriott program so I don't know if there are upgrade certificates available, special club passes, etc.

This is not a solicitation for trades or freebies -- I simply would like info on what possibilities there are. Once I'm a bit more educated, I'll take myself over to The Coupon Connection and see what I can set up there.

That said: what would you all suggest? Many thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Marriott has two hotels in Bangkok. Which one will you be using?

I've stayed at both, and in my opinion, you will be treated like a king with or without special coupons or status. You don't have to worry about anything.

Bruce
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Bangkok JW Marriott: Questions and Reviews

I stayed at the JW for 2 weeks in September the best service and hotel I have stayed at.

The only recommendation I would say would be upgrading to the Executive Level The lounge is great great view, drinks, and especially food. Also the rooms should be finished with their renovations.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:40 pm

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold, ROP Silver
Our first stay at the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa was in 1997 and we have returned each year. It is heaven! It's true, no matter what your status or title, you will be treated as a king. All the rooms are gorgeous and are fitted out in true Thai style. We normally buy the upgrade to executive lounge benefits - if I can remember it cost around USD 30 pax. Well worth it for afternoon tea, evening cocktails and canapes. A number of excellent restaurants to choose from including the nightly seafood bbq on the terrace. I will also be staying at JW Marriott in BKK in Nov - have not stayed there before, but have read good reviews. This is just a stopover until we get to our favourite Marriott.....JW Marriott Phuket

Suffice to say, you will not be disappointed by any Marriott in Thailand.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:23 am

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Thumbs up Marriotts in Thailand are the Great!

Bangkok Resort Marriott is my favorite of anywhere in the world!
Have been staying there since Marriott took it over about 10 years ago and watch the palms and garden grow up.

It would seem to be, that getting a room on the Exec Level would be less costly then upgrading with $$.$$!
Since they moved the Lounge to the Lobby floor it is much more comfortable then when it was on the Fifth. Nice cocktail hour with quality appetizers.
And I really enjoy the pool!

THe JW is also a fine hotel and they go out of their way to present a very comfortable Lounge with an excellent full Breakfast and cocktail hour.
They really did an outstanding job Xmas 2 years ago using a conference room, when the Lounge was getting new carpeting!

Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:48 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
I'd recommend to ask for a river view room in Marriott Resort, the view is nicer from there as if you end up with a garden view room in the main wing. You could try to get one of these corner rooms as well which are almost more like little junior suites. (They have junior suites as well, but not many of these face the river). For JW Marriott, the executive rooms are just the same as the standard rooms, but on higher floors and more quiet (because in the "smaller" upper part of the building where there are only around 10-12 rooms per floor).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.