Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 3:06 am

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Calling it BKK MARRIOTT RESORT is a recent idea. It goes with the increased rates for the rooms. You can think of it as marketing.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:24 am
R&R

The Lounge was in the center of the main building on the 3rd floor with the rooms around it and visible up through the open floors above. It was visible to all the guests, even if they didn't have use of it.

On the first floor lobby level, it is NOT so visible or accessable to ANY guest NOT qualified to use it. It is easily converted back to NON-lounge, when it is not used as a lounge! The floors above can not look down on it. Probably easier access to the kitchens as well.

[This message has been edited by R&R (edited 08-28-2002).]

Old Sep 1, 2002, 6:54 am

The rooms are dark and old.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 4:51 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Rooms "dark and old?" I have stayed at this property some six times in the past six years and never found that so. Most recently, in August, we stayed in a newly renovated wing, in a bright and beautiful corner room with a balcony and a magnificent view of the river.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:07 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I just came back from a i night w14 stay at JW Marriot. It's a fine hotel, but I had just stayed in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for 3 days and I must say that JW Marriot doesn't compare.

Would be interested in hearing specifics as to why JW Marriot is a great hotel. My experience on the 15th floor was that the room was very small. After the huge room (not a suite) that I got in SGS, the Marriot felt claustrophobic! SGS was also very generous with bottles of drinking water, 4 in the AM, and 4 in the evening turn=down service. For Marriot, I didn't even get a turn down svc :-( Okay, I did get a gift of 3 big soft cookies which was nice.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 7:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fimo:
Would be interested in hearing specifics as to why JW Marriot is a great hotel.</font>
My guess would be the bias that one sees in various hotel forums to the hotel chain of their choice.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fimo:
I just came back from a i night w14 stay at JW Marriot. It's a fine hotel, but I had just stayed in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for 3 days and I must say that JW Marriot doesn't compare.

Would be interested in hearing specifics as to why JW Marriot is a great hotel. My experience on the 15th floor was that the room was very small. After the huge room (not a suite) that I got in SGS, the Marriot felt claustrophobic! SGS was also very generous with bottles of drinking water, 4 in the AM, and 4 in the evening turn=down service. For Marriot, I didn't even get a turn down svc :-( Okay, I did get a gift of 3 big soft cookies which was nice.
</font>
See my previous post on the attributes of the JW Marriott. Stay with Sheraton. If you can't at least spell Marriott right, you shouldn't stay there.

Old Sep 4, 2002, 3:40 am

Well srk123, what you praise of the MarriotT is surpassed by Sheraton Sukhumvit, and in fact most of the other hotel properties I've stayed at, so I guess I just don't see what the fuss is about.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Well srk123, what you praise of the MarriotT is surpassed by Sheraton Sukhumvit, and in fact most of the other hotel properties I've stayed at, so I guess I just don't see what the fuss is about.</font>
Fimo:
I stayed at the JW 2˝ years ago for 6 nights. I was (and still am) Silver status. Even though I paid a very cheap government rate, they put me on the 15th floor (with a large picture window so I had a great view of the smog) in what I considered a large room with all the amenities (the hotel was built in 1995, so it is modern) including 2-line phone (with extensions on the nightstand, desk, and bathroom), turn down service each night, daily English-language newspaper at the door(Bangkok Post), excellent maid service, excellent concierge service when needed, welcome fruit basket w/ wine waiting in my room for me, 25" TV w/ several English language cable/satellite channels, large bathroom with separate bathtub and large shower, huge pool off the 6th floor, huge gym/spa with no charge. Restaurants were great, but a little pricey. Location was good at Sukhumvit at Soi 2. A very pleasant stay.
So how about the Sheraton, Fimo?

Old Sep 4, 2002, 6:04 pm

Sheraton was fabu, thanks for asking.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 7:12 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
In case somebody plans to go to the Marriott Resort & Spa in September: the property runs a special family arrangement for 129EUR until 30-Sep-02.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:01 pm

I wonder if the special rates go longer. I just tried to reserve two of the W14 awards for weekend nights at the resort in mid october and found them unavailable. Ending up at jw marriott
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
JW BKK best health club?

I've just gotta say that the JW Marriott in BKK has the best health club of any "business class" hotel I can think of. Nothing else noteworthy about the hotel.

Well maybe the Sheraton in MEL could be tied for the best...

Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:50 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I kinda' think so, as noted earlier here!

"And truly, if there is a better gym in the area, heck in BKK, than the JW, I have yet to find it!"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/005272.html

I think it's one of the best in Asia surely!

Overall, despite a few "issues", I like the hotel in general very much as well.

-Mark
Old Oct 17, 2002, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.