Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: Everyone!
I think the Manohra river boat cruise is connected to this hotel, right? Does anyone know if you can reserve tickets through the hotel and charge them to your room?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:52 am
Community Director Emerita

Thumbs up Bangkok Marriott is fantastic

We have just returned from the Bangkok Marriott. This is a fantastic property. It is beautifully landscaped, very relaxing, and away from the craziness and bustle of Bangkok. You have little sense of being in a large resort due to its good design, with lots of intimate areas for sitting, relaxing, or eating.

Request a top-level, river facing floor.. Getting a room with a great view of the river is important as the city revolves around it. We had a room looking over the garden and pool area across the Chao Praya River. You can email Jonathan Wigley, the GM, in advance. The e-mail address is [email protected]. His secretary answers it and attempts to block the requested room type, at least for those with status.

If you are platinum you will be treated exceptionally well. You will have automatic access to the lounge (which is open until midnight). You will also have the option of using the Market Cafe on the riverfront for breakfast. Both are excellent. The lounge has no view; it is a spacious area near the lobby. Afternoon tea is served from 2 to 4, and appetizers from 4 to 8. (Hot food tends to vanish earlier.) There is attentive staff who will make any bookings you want. You get one free hour of internet use a day on your own laptop, that you can use either in the lounge (wireless) or in your room (wired). You get 5 pieces of laundry cleaned for free per stay.

It is a 10 to 15 minute ferry shuttle to the Saphan Taksin pier and the BTS. Consider the boat ride to Taksin Pier as part of your sightseeing., It’s great to see the river traffic including the small boats towing long heavy barges. On the return to the hotel, there is a person who gives you chilled towels and water. Divine after a hot day out. The boat leaves every 15 minutes.

The Manohra cruise is to great, and leaves from the Marriott pier. http://www.manohracruises.com/ We took the dinner cruise; it went all the way north to the Royal Barge Museum. It was a lovely, lazy way to spend an evening with a good Thai meal. You can take the sunset cruise at 6pm for less. You are given a handful of coupons when you arrive; be sure to use the one that gives a discount on the cruise.

We booked the hotel van one day to go to Kanchaburi (Bridge over the River Kwai) and Tiger Temple. I’m sure there are more affordable ways to do it, but this was surely convenient and luxurious. It cost 8000 baht, and spacious seats with foot rests for the captain’s seats in the first row. (There were four of us, so really not a bad price.) The driver chose a pleasant place on the River Kwai for our lunch.

The staff booked a long tailed boat for us to take a two hour ride thru the klongs. The boat came to the Marriott pier at the time requested. It cost 1000 baht ($25).

Two of our four nights, cookies were delivered to our room.

In the shopping plaza across from the front entrance of the Marriott, there are about 5 places that offer body treatments. On the second level, there is a foot reflexology place with 5 seats; a divine foot massage is 250 baht ($6). There are several places that offer Thai or oil massage; not luxurious settings but great value.

If you are attempting to use Bonus Bucks, be sure to have Marriott Reservations add that to your reservation. Even then, the hotel meticulously checks your rate to be sure that it qualifies.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 21, 2006 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
taxis and boat

The resort does have a dinner boat. I do not know the name, but the conceirge can book it for you.

In respect to taxiis, our latest stay in November, 2005 resulted in an attempt to do the 400 baht to the airport. Fortunately, MrsO noticed that the meter was not on as we left the hotel. We insisted that the driver turn on the meter (BTW, it was one of the blue ones with "farang spoken" signs). He very reluctantly turned it on, stopped at the security guard's station and had the discussion that the guard would not get his this trip. The trip was 250 baht including tolls, stopping for lpg and a ride along wireless road prior to the toll road. When I handed the taxi mafia driver his fare, he smiled and waied.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:39 pm

The Marriott Bangkok Resort and Spa does operate at least two dinner cruises and also soon two over night cruises to the old capital of Ayudhaya. Both are great experiences. They can be booked through the hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jkzahn
I think the Manohra river boat cruise is connected to this hotel, right? Does anyone know if you can reserve tickets through the hotel and charge them to your room?
Yes, the hotel staff can book the boat for you. Yes, you can charge it to your room. You get a set of discount coupons at checkin for the restaurants, spa, and boat - be sure to use them.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Bangkok

I've stayed at both properties numerous times as a Plat Premier. In my opinion, the Marriott Resort is a nicer property - more acreage, on the river, etc. What I don't like about it is that I find the standard rooms a bit small. This hotel, in my experience, is stingy with room upgrades to suites. I was upgraded once (in about 3 stays) to something like a Jr Suite which was maybe 20 square feet bigger than a standard room. The JW Bangkok does a much better job at upgrading me to suites. In fact, as best I can recall, they've upgraded me to a suite every one of the 8 times I've stayed there. A suite at the JW is actually a suite - one room with a couch, chairs and a small dining table, a second room with a bed and two bathrooms. The downside is that its not a resort property like the Marriott. The service at all Thailand Marriotts is exceptional. As for taxis, don't accept a set price. Insist on the meter being used. The driver will ask if you want to use the Motorway which is a toll road. This will be quicker and less traffic so say yes but understand that YOU have to pay the tolls, they are not included in the meter price. Also, when you take a trip from the airport TO the hotel, there is a 50 baht airport fee that is not on the meter. Now that I think about it, with tolls you will probably spend close to 400 baht getting to the airport from either hotel.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:11 am

Bkk Marriotts

I've also stayed in both hotels, the JW Marriott most often. The staff in both hotels are great. Marriott Riverside Resort is ... well ... a vacation type hotel. While the JW Marriott is great for the business traveler.

As a Gold member the JW Marriott upgrades me to Exec floor and exec lounge access every stay. I like the restaurants in the JW Marriott while the MRR restaurants are just mediocre in my opinion. The exec lounge at the JW beats the Marriott Riverside hands down. While the Marriott Riverside Resort gives me access to exec lounge their room upgrades are weak. I agree with the previous poster in that the rooms at the MRR are quite small especially the bathrooms.

The grounds of the Marriott Resort are really nice and the pool at the MRR beats the JW Marriott although it can be quite crowded.

If you are on vacation and want a relaxing hotel experience, the MRR is probably the better choice. But the JW wins for downtown location, the room quality, restaurants, and exec floor.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
The taxi to/from the BKK Resort and Spa

I was at the resort 2 weeks ago.

The 400B rate was quoted to me at the airport [go outside the arrivals area and go about 60 paces to the right to the dispatch booth] and from the hotel.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:13 pm

Problem with the rates being honored and points awarded

I am newly registered in Marriott Rewards. From my experience on this trip, I must refuse to take the program seriously. In short, I believe that they cheated me.

The posted reward rate is supposed to be $10 for each USD spent - so says the website. I got a senior discount deluxe room with river view for $140/night for 4 nights.

Upon arrival, they pointed out that although the website quotes the rate in USD, they must by law quote THEIR rates in Thai baht. As they do not adjust their rate to fluctuations in the USD, my $140 X 4 = $560 became $607 due to the weakness of the USD vs the baht.

When my statement came, it didn't say 5600 points or 6070 points, but 5383 points. Upon phoning Marriott in SLC, they blamed the hotel for it and would do nothing for me, not even verify the figures; it is this attitude that irks me.

Too bad. In March, I could have made Silver on 6 nights in Berlin.

I had them change the points given to my frequent flyer number and will keep my business with Marriott to return visits to this wonderful hotel which I had visited when it was called the Royal Garden Riverside.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Just stayed at the JW Marriott Bangkok this past weeekend which I chose over the Marriott Resort to be closer to the "center of action". Both were about $140/night.

JW is well located close to major shopping--both retail and street vendors. I was upgraded to an extended room while my kids had a standard--both beautiful, fabulous bathroom. Excellent buffet breakfast--same area has really good buffet lunch and dinner for about $25 pp. Bakery has phenomenal deserts.

Executive lounge is large and nicely furnished--really good snacks 6-8 pm. High tea is also worthwhile.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by thefareguru
Upon arrival, they pointed out that although the website quotes the rate in USD, they must by law quote THEIR rates in Thai baht. As they do not adjust their rate to fluctuations in the USD, my $140 X 4 = $560 became $607 due to the weakness of the USD vs the baht.

When my statement came, it didn't say 5600 points or 6070 points, but 5383 points. Upon phoning Marriott in SLC, they blamed the hotel for it and would do nothing for me, not even verify the figures; it is this attitude that irks me.
I've had this problem three different times with the JW BKK. I just fax in a copy of my bill to SLC and they add the missing points. Of course it usually takes 3 weeks to see the additional points...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:03 pm

Thank you, ak333. Maybe I got someone who didn't have the experience to suggest this. It's too bad that this is the only way, but at least, it's a way.

I'd better talk to them again.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: Everyone!
I am a GOLD member and had a stay in March 2006. I usually post my reviews (and pictures) on tripadvisor.com, but I thought I would also copy it here.

Wonderful and relaxing. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else when I visit Bangkok.

GOOD
- Leaving it all behind and escaping. Looking at this hotel, it is a little concerning that it is downriver from the main city and tourist attractions, but after going on the trip, I would have it no other way. There is no better way to start and end the day than to take a peaceful (and free) 15 minute boat ride to and from the crowded, busy, and dirty city. In the evening, it is nice to leave it all behind and welcome your evening in the river breeze while the boat concierge gives you free cold bottled war and a cool scented towel to wipe off your face and hands.
- Beautiful landscaping and atmosphere. This hotel is one of the nicest landscaped and laid out that I have seen. It almost feels like Hawaii or a tropical beach getaway. The hotel is surrounded by nicely landscaped gardens, palm trees, and tropical vegetation. The pool is surrounded by tropical trees, and every day flowers were falling into the pool while we were swimming. It is right on the river and you get a great view of the boats and downtown. It is also connected to a mall and shopping center if you need something quick (and want to save a little on hotel prices).
- Excellent elite MR recognition. As a Gold MR member, I received a free upgrade to an executive room overlooking the pool, river, and Bangkok. The room was very nice and has a private outdoor deck to enjoy. MR privileges here are even more than normal – includes free local calls, 1 hour of high-speed Internet per day, access to the lounge, free laundry for 5 pieces, nightly turn-down service, daily newspaper, discounts to the spa, and more. For breakfast, you can choose the lounge or the restaurant buffet.
- As with most Thai people that we met, everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. Any questions or concerns were promptly answered and addressed.
- Water is questionable in Thailand, so you receive 2 bottles of water in the bedroom each day and 2 in the bathroom each day.
- All guests receive coupons for resort type activities. The one I used and would recommend again is the Mahora dinner cruise. This is a restored rice barge and you can take a 2.5 hour cruise with a very nicely served Thai dinner for around $35 each after the coupon. (They do charge you extra for beverages).

BAD
- The only thing of note for this property is that the pool is rather small for the number of guests that can be accommodated here, and the number of chairs for the pool are even less than that. If you are not there early in the day, it is very difficult to find 2 or more pool chairs together, if you can find any at all.
- As with all hotels, the food is pretty expensive in the hotel restaurants. Why would you want to eat American/Hotel food when you are in such a great place for eating as Bangkok anyhow? You can get a plate of noodles, some vegetables, and a fruit smoothie in the city for less than $4.00 total.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...a-Bangkok.html
Old May 15, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Experience @ Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa

My wife and I will be vacationing in Bangkok in July and staying at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. I originally booked the Luxury Collection, but wifey doesn't want to stay at a hotel filled with business travelers. Pictures on Marriott's web site look good, but experiences?
Old May 15, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Excellent hotel and as a MR Plat you will be upgraded to a river view room or junior suite. The concierge lounge is great too. The hotel is on the opposite side of the river from most places you will be going, but they have shuttle boats that take you over to the skytrain station every 15 minutes until about 11:00 or midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.