Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Actually, in terms of room upgrade, I would'nt expect too much. As a Silver, I got upgraded once to Executive floor, but the rooms there are just the same as the normal Deluxe rooms, only on higher floor and with less neighbours (only one side of the floor is fitted with guest rooms as the tower there is more narrow). Personally, I prefer the Marriott resort too, but the JW is fine as well.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Marriott Bangkok Resort & Spa - which rate to pick?

I am planning to spend a 2-night weekend in Bangkok with my wife and thinking about the Marriott Bangkok Resort & Spa...and there's 2 rate plans that I am thinking about right now:

USD 129++ (~USD 300 total for 2 nights)
Standard Room (38 sq m)

USD 220++ (~USD 520 total for 2 nights; 2 nights minimum)
Junior Suite (46 sq m, just slightly bigger)
Room service breakfast
Club lounge access/benefits
Airport transfer roundtrip
A 60-minute spa (I assume it would be for each person? or really only one?)
A dinner for 2 at Manohra Cruise

- I assume as a Platinum I would get access to the club lounge anyway (am I right in this? do I get access in this resort, especially on weekends?) and can have breakfast there (the package allows room service too, but I don't think it's that important)
- Airport transfer, maybe cost USD 15 x 2 = USD 30 otherwise?
- Spa, assuming it's for two, maybe cost USD 50 x 2 = USD 100?
- Dinner for two, maybe cost USD 100 at most?
- Junior suite vs. standard room, but just slightly bigger. Or maybe by booking a junior suite I would have a greater chance getting upgraded to an even bigger suite (based on my Platinum status)?

I know it's very much a personal choice question...but just wanna see if people think it's worth it doing the package? Or am I better off just booking the standard room and paying everything else out of pocket (and assuming I can get free club access / breakfast) ? Or would people recommend the JW Marriott instead? (I picked the Marriott Resort & Spa because it gives me a more resort feel / a more relaxing weekend, instead of the JWM which I think may be more business-oriented?)

Thanks for any comments you might have !!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:20 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Having stayed at this property several times as a previous Platinum, a couple of notes:

1) You will have access to open-air lobby lounge as Platinum - count on it.

2) You will probably not want to have breakfast at the lounge but instead at the cafe downstairs - more choice. As Platinum, they will extend to you this benefit.

3) I've been on the Manohra cruise - delightful experience. I think I paid 1000B/person a year ago (hosted a party of 4)

I would not book the US$220 suite = $100 (x 2 nights) could buy you plenty in BKK. You would get upgraded anyway to a nicer room besides the standard room - IME this property treats Platinums very well

Whether you stay at this property depends entirely on whether you like serenity (the lush gardens are very nice at the Resort esp. when it rains at night - gorgeous) or easy transport access (JW is a 5 minute walk from the trains while the Resort is a boat ride away from mass transit) and in rush hour, quite a feat to get to by taxi. Also the bathrooms of the Resort is a let-down because there is no separate shower and the half-length shower pane in the bath tub results in wet floors (at least for me).
Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:02 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
I stayed at the property a few weeks ago ... a few comments.

As a platinum you will be treated exceptionally well. As mentioned you will have automatic access to the lounge (which is open on weekends). You will also have the option of using the Market Cafe downstairs for breakfast - complimentary. Both are excellent. The lounge is pretty much open continuously for snacks, drinks or a place to chill for a few minutes.

The property is beautiful - and well worth the 'inconvenience' of the 10 minute ferry shuttle to the Saphan Taksin pier and the BTS. Very relaxing and away from the crazyness and bustle of BKK.

Be careful of the 'upgraded room' option as I have heard it mentioned in other threads that the upgraded rooms (could be the Junior Suite you refer to - better check) do not have a great view of the river - some are garden facing. Getting a room with a great view of the river is most important in my opinion as the city revolves around it. Try and get a corner room facing the river and you will have a wonderful view of the Chao Phraya.

The round trip taxi from BKK airport was not expensive - aroiund 300 - 400 Baht if I remember correctly.

The Manohra cruise is to be recommended - if nothing else it is a good way to get oriented with BKK when your first arrive.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
I agree that the package is probably somewhat more expensive than doiing the things that you want to do seperately. But taxi fares are only $10 from the airport and spa treatments are much less expensive off site although they may be in less elegant surroundings. Two-hour traditional Thai massages or 90 minute oil massages typically cost under $20. I was referred to a hotel across the river -- $3 taxi fare) by a member of the staff where there is an onsite spa and it was excellent. The tour desk at the Marriott has a number of excellent tours. I took a full-day tour of the floating market that included stops at a cultural center with an excellent show and a temple. Price was $25, including an excellent lunch buffet. Enjoy Bankok. While it has many unsightly areas, it has enormous beautiful spots and the Thai people are extremly gentle, pleasant, and hospitable.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with everyone else - I've had two stays there in the past 2 years (no status) and I doubt the suites are worth extra money as the standard rooms are great. Definitely put a top-level floor request in your reservation and try to get a room in the main building or the building on the left when you're facing the river. Jonathan Wigley is the GM there & the e-mail address is [email protected] (I had to contact them when I was there in November since I had some special requests - I just held onto the e-mail addy) - he doesn't answer it personally, but his secretary does & she made sure our rooms met our special requests.

Airport transfer isn't expensive at all, but if you take your own cab from the airport, make sure you print out a copy of the property page from Marriott.com - some cabbies think only of the JW Marriott when you tell them Marriott resort - by showing them the printout with the road name on it, they'll know where to go.

In the shopping plaza accross from the front entrance of the Marriott, you can get a pretty decent massage for just a few bucks - not the "spa" experience necessarily, but the foot rub will put you sleep. Also, there's a tailor called Alex's Fashion's across the street too - I recommend going there if you want a suit made while in BKK - it only takes about 2 days - go as soon as you check in to get measured. If you want, you can bring a magazine cut-out & they'll make the suite based off the picture.

As for the dinner cruise - not sure what the total cost is per person because I've never done it, yet I completely regeret not doing it since everyone who has been on it has had a great time.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: Everyone!
I'm not going for awhile, but thanks for all the good tips.

If the 1,000 THB rate is right, that makes it about $24.00 per person. What made it so great?

Thanks for the tip on the room location to request too.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I did the sunset cruise which included a cocktail or 2 and some appetizers. It was included in my rate, so not sure how much they charge, but if the quality of the munchies is matched with dinner -- should be a good meal as well.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
tedhl,
Per all previous posts, as a platinum I suggust taking the lower fare. We recentely stayed at the resort and where treated very well. The Monohra is a must if this is your first trip. We took another couple on the Monohra (their first trip to BKK)this year and all they talk about is the dinner on the Monohra. Must add that two days will be too short.
Miflyer
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:50 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
After several stays in the Marriott Resort, I would also say that you shouldn't pick this junior suite package.... as far as I know there are no Junior Suites with immediate river view in the Marriott Resort.

I would book the standard room package and maybe in the same time politely ask the hotel via email if they can offer you an upgrade to a Deluxe River View room (either because of your status or a slight upgrade charge - very probably they will give it to a Plat for free). And you could ask in this case to get a corner room... I think room number 463 or 464 or 466 (not sure anymore.. maybe someone can help) in the South wing is a very nice corner room. I had the room next door once and had a quick look into the corner room when the cleaning woman was busy. Looked really nice.

A taxi from the hotel to the airport costs 400Bt. ("hotel rate"), but you can also demand the taxi driver to go on meter which makes ist more cheaper (probably 250-270bt. something).
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:01 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Chris26WI
..... And you could ask in this case to get a corner room... I think room number 463 or 464 or 466 (not sure anymore.. maybe someone can help) in the South wing is a very nice corner room. .....
Yes, I think it's 463 - if memory serves me correctly this is the room we stayed in - north/east facing corner room in the south wing with a wrap around balcony. It's kind of a mini-suite with a separate dining/work desk area and a large bedroom.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that most taxis, from the airport, will turn on the meter - take the expressway to get to the hotel as it will be faster & overall cheaper. Note that if you do this, there is a toll (not sure what it is off the top of my head) that you will have to pay - so make sure you pull some baht notes out at the ATM at the airport - smaller bills are better. Any taxi that you get from the hotel will also use its meter - the ones that you pick up of the street won't use their meters & you will have to negotiate the prices.

Also, if your stay coincides with a Saturday, take the free Marriott water taxi to the metro station & take the metro to Mo Chit station and enjoy the weekend market there (it's frickin' huge & everything is negotiable!).
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jkzahn
If the 1,000 THB rate is right, that makes it about $24.00 per person. What made it so great?
You can email them to find out the current prevailing rate.
Manohra Cruises

I liked it because
1) atmospheric -the boat was small - there were maybe at most 6 tables. The food is served in courses over Thai classical music (albeit piped-in not live).

2) BKK riverside at night with the temples, bridges and the King's barge musuem lighted up

3) BKK riverside, with an evening cool breeze, is a remarkable contrast to the hot and humid city.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Vasbyte
north/east facing corner room in the south wing with a wrap around balcony. It's kind of a mini-suite with a separate dining/work desk area and a large bedroom.
I scored this room on one stay. The wrap-around balcony is accessible through glass sliding doors and with the doors open, curtains billowing from an afternoon breeze - this is perfection on earth.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Note that most taxis, ...there is a toll (not sure what it is off the top of my head) that you will have to pay - so make sure you pull some baht notes out at the ATM at the airport - smaller bills are better.
One good tip I picked up from somebody else is the tollbooths are a great way to make change from large bills! Say you get 1000B notes from the ATM - you'd be in a quandary to pay the taxi driver at the end because they won't have change. So when you get to the tollbooth, hand over the 1000B note (don't let the taxi driver pay for it) to the taxi driver, he gives it to the toll booth operator and returns the (now) small change to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.