Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Any comments, suggestions regarding JW Marriot, Bangkok?

Hello all,

Am heading to Bangkok on the 2nd of April (will be staying there for about 4 nights after KL where I am staying at the MO) and have got rooms via PL at the JW Marriott. I noticed there are tips on what to ask for at the MO in KL. I have looked but dont see a lot of comments on the hotel on tripadvisor or elsewhere. Has anyone from this board stayed there? Any things to look out for, or any chance I can upgrade to something nicer at the hotel itself? Any comments would be much much appreciated. ( I posted this on the luxury hotels forum but thought this one would be appropriate too)

Thanks,

D.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I'd say the Marriott Rewards forum would have the most people who would have stayed at the JW BKK and would be able to offer opinions.

I used to stay there in 2001-2002. It is not a luxury hotel by any means - its targetted for business travellers. Free wifi in the lobby. The staff was one of the best I have experienced in BKK business hotels. The breakfast buffet is excellent and while the New York Steakhouse has the best steaks in BKK, I'm sure you want to be getting in local food while you're here. Walk across to Ploenchit Center and you'll find a great Thai restaurant on Level 2.

The thing to look out for - literally - was the legs of the easy chair in the rooms. They went outwards near the base and I know half-a-dozen people who've stubbed their toes on it. Oh, and there was a little trick to changing the temperature on the airconditioning, but I can't remember it now - my memory is like swiss cheese
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:51 pm

Any comments, suggestions regarding JW Marriot, Bangkok?

Hello all,

Am heading to Bangkok on the 2nd of April (will be staying there for about 4 nights after KL where I am staying at the MO) and have got rooms via PL at the JW Marriott. I noticed there are tips on what to ask for at the MO in KL. I have looked but dont see a lot of comments on the hotel on tripadvisor or elsewhere. Has anyone from this board stayed there? Any things to look out for, or any chance I can upgrade to something nicer at the hotel itself? Any comments would be much much appreciated. ( I posted this on the luxury hotels forum and the Asia forum but someone suggested I post it here as well)

Thanks,
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:58 pm

Thanks, savage25, for the tips. Will definitely look out for the legs...

D.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
I've stayed at the JW Marriott in BKK a number of times. It's quite a good hotel. (I wouldn't say "It's not a luxury hotel by any means," but maybe my standards aren't quite as high as Savage25's ) I would have no problem staying there again or recommending it. The location is quite good because it's right on Sukhumvit and near the entrance to the expressway to the airport. Ploenchit Center across the street also offers some pretty good (and inexpensive!) shopping, IIRC.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:11 am

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Thumbs up Bkk Jw Marriott

IF you are an Gold Elite or better, they will take GQQD care of you.
The Concierge Lounge serves a full beakfast cooked to order with additional choices on the Buffet.

If you are not Elite, you can upgrade to Executive floor and Lounge for a few dollars. I found the service very attentive and gracious.

My favorite is the BKK Marriott Resort for relaxation and the same attentive service without the cooked to order breakfast in the Lounge, but available in the Market Cafe with a very extensive Buffet.

:-: :-: :-:
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:56 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Many postings already on this hotel in this Marriot forum. Search is down but you can still google it. You may not want to search at the luxury hotels section because the JW does not fit into that category.

You can also choose to eat breakfast at the cafe on the ground floor instead of the executive lounge. The lounge serves a limited subset of breakfast and the this, the cafe is a much better choice. Not sure if this is only a Platinum level benefit (I was Plat for several years until a month ago) but I don't think so - should apply to all on the Executive floor.

The JW however, as a hotel, is not as nice as several others in BKK. Rooms are small, furnishings and toiletries are a little dated. But service is very good.

If you got a PL rate, then this is a good hotel for the price.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
There is a terrific tailor just a block away called Raja's Fashions.

Raja's Fashions
1/6 Sukhumvit Soi 4,
Opp Nana Hotel
Bangkok 10110

Tel:0 2253 8379
Fax:0 2254 2181
Email: [email protected]
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Desirees
Hello all,

Am heading to Bangkok on the 2nd of April (will be staying there for about 4 nights after KL where I am staying at the MO) and have got rooms via PL at the JW Marriott. I noticed there are tips on what to ask for at the MO in KL. I have looked but dont see a lot of comments on the hotel on tripadvisor or elsewhere. Has anyone from this board stayed there? Any things to look out for, or any chance I can upgrade to something nicer at the hotel itself? Any comments would be much much appreciated. ( I posted this on the luxury hotels forum but thought this one would be appropriate too)

Thanks,

D.
How much did you pay for the hotel? If you dont mind me asking?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
How much did you pay for the hotel? If you dont mind me asking?
Hi lallyr,

have to admit i completely goofed up even after reading the biddingfortravel website and paid $95 per night...so am upset about it but cant help it. oh well!!!
just hope the stay will be good,

D.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Desirees
Hi lallyr,

have to admit i completely goofed up even after reading the biddingfortravel website and paid $95 per night...so am upset about it but cant help it. oh well!!!
just hope the stay will be good,

D.
Why are you upset? Should you have got it cheaper?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:31 am

Back to the original post, there are limited upgrade options at this hotel. There is a concierge floor, but the rooms are identical to non-concierge floor rooms. Marriott Gold and Plat members get lounge access on the Concierge floor which is quite nice ... free breakfast in the AM, drinks and snacks in the evening.

They do have some suites, but they are VERY stingy about upgrading to a suite, even for Plat members.

Even in a basic room, without lounge access, this is a very nice hotel. I prefer it over some other BKK properties becuase of the the great health club on site.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / AA Concierge Key
Platinum - upgrade at JW Marriott BKK

To those Platinum members who have stayed at the JW Marriott in Bangkok: what has been your experience in getting upgraded? I've been getting the same type of rooms at the Concierge level since I was Gold - Platinum doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has anyone tried to request for a better upgrade? Perhaps to a mini-suite? Advises appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:18 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I was there twice last year in Sept. 1st stay as a Gold then as a Plat.

I had a better room as a Gold (on the lounge floor), but never anything better then an exec room.

But their lounge makes up for any bad room -- IMO the best there is.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Been there several times, no suite upgrades. I don't think they have many suites anyway. The suites they do have are all king rooms, and I usually need two beds, so all I ever get is two twins.

But, the other benifits, outstrip a simple room upgrade. The lounge is amazing, now you can eat at the breakfast buffet downstairs instead and free wireless in the lounge and on the 17th floor.

My favorite Marriott.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.