Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SFO Marriott or San Mateo Marriott?

Old Nov 9, 01, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture

will be on biz in the bay area for a few days next week. Anyone stay at either of these and if so, which one would you recommend? fyi, they're both showing a heckuva $79 weekend rate.

Old Nov 9, 01, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I stay at the San Mateo Marriott for location to work. I have never stayed at the SFO Marriott so I can't compare the two hotels.

But here is some info on the SM Marriott. The SM Marriott has an awesome lounge, so awesome it is the next largest influence for me after location to stay there. I don't get great upgrades as I usually get a corner room which is a bit larger and nicer though. Parking is $13 which sucks but you can beat that by parking on the street that runs behind the building. I do that all the time. They do nickel and dime you after 20 minutes on phone calls even toll free. Toll free also has a charge I believe. I would check to see if the lounge is open on the weekend, I have never stayed on a weekend.

Old Nov 9, 01, 10:21 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The SFO Marriott had a nice (though regular sized to small, depending on your POV) lounge with a lot of options, and very nice staff the two times I've stayed there. I've heard here that the lounge is no longer open almost all the time (which it used to be).

Never stayed at the other one.
Old Nov 9, 01, 2:33 pm

Stayed over 20 weeks at the SMM ... 1-800 calls are free ... the lounge is not open on the weekend ... but it is my choice in the bay area .... a nice place ...
Old Nov 9, 01, 9:08 pm
BIM

SFO Marriott is also very convenient to the Moscone Convention Center, should that be your destination...
Old Nov 9, 01, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks folks for the advice - instead of choosing, i'm splitting time (2 days each)between both!
Old Nov 10, 01, 5:35 am

The SFO Marriott is a very nice Marriott. In fact, the top two properties in that hotel ghetto near SFO are the SFO Marriott and the SFO Hyatt Regency .. both very comparable. If you want to do some plane spotting, you can ask for a room facing the runways at the Marriott.

These properties almost always have great weekend rates, but $79 is cheap even for them.

If the 49ers are playing at home, some of players stay at the SFO Marriott on the weekend of the game.

I haven't stayed at the SMM, but it's located at the 92-101 interchange. It's a newer property, further from the city, but closer to the valley. As echoed here, most reports have been very favorable for this property.

-David
Old Nov 10, 01, 1:38 pm

San Mateo wins hands down. Thought the SFO location was incredibly generic, was not impressed. SM has interesting California Mission style, nice restaurant...

Have fun!
Old Nov 10, 01, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam

SFO Marriott has $24.00 a day Parking and city convention tax...

Before you committ to splitting the stay, I would call and find out the total room taxes and parking per night.....
Old Nov 13, 01, 5:37 am

I think several people are confusing the SFO Marriott in Burlingame (near the airport) with the downtown San Francisco Marriott near the Moscone Center.

I may be wrong, but I thought the submitter was asking about the Burlingame (SFO) and San Mateo properties.

Parking at the SFO Marriott in Burlingame was around $13 for self-parking and $18 for valet the last time I was there. I suppose it may have gone up, but $24 sounds about right for the downtown property.

-David
Old Nov 13, 01, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

yup, SFO as in SFO airport (Burlingame). I checked with Marriott and they said a $13/day parking charge and tax was 10%. I'm still sticking with the split since i'm intrigued by the San Mateo Marriott - looks very nice from the webpage!
Old Nov 15, 01, 9:35 pm

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
Stayed in both and the San Mateo Marriott is definitely better. Newer rooms especially on the club level. SFO felt old, dark and worn out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: