FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Renaissance Harborside Vancouver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/137113-renaissance-harborside-vancouver.html)

camachinist Jun 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by mjharad
debating between harbourside and residence inn. is it worth the price difference? which is a better location?

We've stayed at the Pinnacle, which is across the street from the RH, and the RI, both for cruises. I personally liked the RI better for our use, but the Pinnacle is a lovely hotel and we had a great view. Both were safe to walk, at least when we were there. The RI seemed closer to Robson shopping, and the Pinnacle was closer to Gastown and Canada Place.

If the RH can still be had occasionally on Priceline, it would be worth it. Otherwise, I don't know. Guess you'll just have to try it :)

Pat

Idranet Sep 21, 2005 6:37 am

Vancouver Renaissance - room recommendation?

Will be staying at the Renaissance Harbourside in Vancouver for 10 nights in a marina-view club level room. With the construction going on, do some marina view rooms have a restricted view? Does anyone know which rooms/side of building, etc. we should ask for when checking in?

Thanks for any help you can give - a search didn't provide any recent information about any restricted view.

bdschobel Sep 21, 2005 7:06 am

When I was there in August, I don't believe that any rooms had restricted views.

Bruce

Idranet Sep 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks!!

We're looking forward to a fantastic view and a great stay in Vancouver!

tcook052 Apr 14, 2007 2:15 pm

FTer feedback on Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside

I have a bit of time there in Aug. and have read some tripadvisor reviews but just wondered if any fellow FTers had been recently and wanted to share their impressions of the property. I did a search but failed to find anything in this forum on that hotel. Most of the reviews seem fairly positive but some say this location could use an update/renovation.

This is just a leisure stop and am not on any kind of business trip or seminar so won't have quite the same needs in terms of the business centre, etc. I'm a lapsed silver :( who strictly travels on leisure trips a few times a year, so elite perks not at play either.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

cyberdad Apr 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I stayed across the street at the Marriott Pinnacle in January, but decided to stroll over and check out the Ren. I'm sure someone else here can give a better and more detailed report than me, but my impressions were all positive...save for the fact that the main restaurant was closed. I found this a bit odd....even though it was a Sunday night during the "off season".

(As for the Marriott Pinnacle, its one of the better FS properties in the system IMHO).

ohmark Apr 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by cyberdad (Post 7583048)
I stayed across the street at the Marriott Pinnacle in January, but decided to stroll over and check out the Ren.

So did I (last fall). Thought the Pinnacle was very nice; the Ren getting a bit tired.

tmorse6570 Apr 15, 2007 2:01 am

delete

matchbox20_is Apr 17, 2007 5:56 am

I've stayed at this property on two separate occasions in the last four months. The previous posters are correct, the hotel is a little dated, but there are some nice touches here. The bathrooms have heated floors, which are a wonderful surprise in the morning, especially with the typically dreary Vancouver weather. The tile in the bathroom is definitely of the 1970's vintage, and there are a few things that have that 'old' feeling to them. The beds are great, usual Renaissance fare. The rooms are quite spacious near the ends as when they walled off the balconies, that extra space became part of the room. I am a MR Gold, so that may be part of why I got one of those corner rooms. The million dollar view of the harbor is slowly being eroded by a development across the street, which will be literally right on the water. You can hear the construction in the daytime but it never disturbed my sleep. There is a nice glass-doored business center in the lobby with free high-speed internet access on two computers. We didn't eat in the revolving restaurant, but the one on the lobby level was great for breakfast.

If you're considering the Renaissance or Marriott Pinnacle Vancouver Downtown (right across the street), I'd go for the Pinnacle if you can get a rate within $50. That's a very sleek property with a nice restaurant, separate stand-up showers, windows in the bathrooms(!), and breathtaking views if you're lucky enough to get on one of the higher floors. The elevators are extremely fast and quiet in this hotel.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

oldtirednbusy Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm

Hmmmmm. I had the Ren booked for a trip in May. So should I change to the Pinnacle?

IrieDame Apr 17, 2007 6:52 pm

Yes you should change to the Pinnacle...I really like that hotel, nice rooms, lovely bar/restaurant, modern feel, service incredible and breathtaking views...very little to criticize at this property.

matchbox20_is Apr 17, 2007 7:31 pm

If you can get a decent rate at the Pinnacle (within $30-$50 of your Renaissance rate), then I'd advise you to go for it.

oldtirednbusy Apr 17, 2007 8:37 pm

I got a Sr. rate $10 more than at the Ren so I changed.

ohmark Apr 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by oldtirednbusy (Post 7598891)
I got a Sr. rate $10 more than at the Ren so I changed.

There is a huge difference between the various rooms and floors at the Pinnacle, particularly as to view, which range from virtually no view, to spectacular view of the harbor and seaplanes. Be sure to check the room recommendations at Tripadvisor, and then request the suggested rooms.

matchbox20_is Apr 18, 2007 2:26 am

You could be right, but I've never had a bad room there. The room layouts aren't the standard shapes either, there are several interesting ones.