Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by robin13
I will be in Zurich in the middle of October for 2 nights. I want to use my Marriott points and I see there are numerous locations in Zurich to stay. I want to be near the shopping area and dining places so is this the best Marriott to stay? BTW, I am a Plat. reward member if that helps the situation.
For a central location the Marriott is your only choice. Public transportation is great in ZRH and if you don't mind a little tram ride you can sometimes get some discount award stays at the 'old' Ren.
On weekends the lounge at the Ren is closed, but the Marriott is open ... if this makes a difference.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
For a central location the Marriott is your only choice. Public transportation is great in ZRH and if you don't mind a little tram ride you can sometimes get some discount award stays at the 'old' Ren.
On weekends the lounge at the Ren is closed, but the Marriott is open ... if this makes a difference.
The lounge may be closed at the Renaissance but they do offer a free breakfast buffet. They also leave the lounge open for soft drinks and snacks. As a plat I was given an upgrade to a junior suite which was quite nice. The tram stop to downtown is literally directly in front of the hotel, and the ride takes 20 minutes (no transfers needed). Information current as of last weekend (4 June 2011).
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Just finished a two night reward stay as a Gold. Vicki's review above is still current with the details. Great stay, wife & I traveling with our 11 year old daughter, upgraded to what I assume was a junior suite - corner room with a bedroom and sitting room, one full bath and a powder room. Very nice hotel, great service, fantastic lounge and super location. With the dollar so far off the Swiss franc now we put the lounge to good use. Overall an excellent stay.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum
Zurich Renaissance questions

Hello,

I booked a "three night pay for two" promotion at the ZRH renaissance in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if they accept US$ gift cards as payment. I'm sure I will get a lousy conversion but they were gifts so I guess I should not complain!

Also, since I am staying as part of a 3 for 2 promotional rate, is this stay also eligible for the promotion of double nights credit?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
They accept GCs and you will get a good conversion rate since they changed the GC processing from Visa to a direct processing in April.
3for2 is a hotel promo and your stay will count for any other Marriott promo you might have. I like the Ren in ZRH.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum
thanks!

I was hoping those were the answers I would get
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Renaissance Zurich Hotel trip report

Renaissance Zurich Hotel
Thurgauerstrasse 101
Zurich-Glattpark Switzerland 8152

Note: there are 2 Renaissance Hotels in Zurich. This one is the closest to Zurich Airport (10 minutes)

The other one (Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel) is 30 minutes from the Airport.

My wife and I arrived from FRA (LH) and our bags were the first off (tagged HON/Priority). No need for passport control since we had cleared in FRA.

We went down the escalator and stopped at the Information booth to get a Zurich City Card (20 CHF each). Very simple (they speak English and take credit cards) and they gave us directions to the Tram.

You walk through the shopping mall, then down the escalator, then outside. Follow the signs for the Tram (there is also a Train station but you want the Tram.)

Once outside you walk about 100 feet or so, past some busses, cross a driveway, to the Tram stop (just some benches and ticket machines) You want the side closest to the terminal building. Put your City Card in the ticket machine to time validate. If you did not buy the City Card, then just buy your ticket here.

The trams are roomy, comfortable, clean, and safe, and they have plenty of space for luggage (we had 3 large bags plus 2 carry-ons.)
Take the # 10 or # 12 (comes every 7 minutes or so), and exit Glattpark. The Tram will say Zurich/Banhofplatz (#10) or Zurich/Bahnhof Stettbach (#12) on the front. It is the 6th stop, and takes 9 minutes.

When you get off the Tram, the Renaissance is across the street, behind the Renault Dealership. Walk to the left of the Renault lot, and turn right into the first driveway past the lot. It is a 2 minute walk from the Tram station to the front door of the hotel (my wife complains that I walk too fast!)

The lobby is very pretty, and check-in was quick and simple. I used my annual Cat 5 (Credit Card free night certificate) for a room that would have been about $400. We were upgraded to a junior suite, and the room was very nice, with a separate bedroom and very nice bathtub, according to my wife. Very comfortable bed with lots of pillows.

We used the Concierge Lounge for both evening reception and breakfast. It is right off the elevator (need your key card). They had a nice spread for both, and complimentary beer, wine, and liquor (evenings). This comes in handy because Zurich is a very expensive city.

Internet was free (for Gold/Plat) and fast. The front desk clerk had told us to sign in for the internet (shows a fee), but the charges would be removed (they were).

I used the fitness center in the morning. It had a couple of treadmills and ellipticals and plenty of weight machines and some free weights. There is also a spa and sauna but we did not use it. To get to the fitness center, you use an elevator on the opposite end of the hallways from the main elevator (follow the signs.)

Check out was quick and easy, and best of all, free!

To get back to the Airport, just do the opposite of getting to the hotel – look for the Tram that says Zurich/Flughafen and get off at the airport terminal. There are computer screens in each tram car that announce the upcoming stop, and show the next 4 stops, along with the ETA to each, plus the ETA to the “end of the line”.

We also took the Tram to the lake (32 minutes) and walked around – very pretty! The front desk can give you a map and instructions on which Tram to take. Long story short, it is very easy (no changing Trams).

The Zurich City card also gives free admission to many museums and free boat ride on the lake.

Here is the link to the Zurich Tram website (English):
http://www.zvv.ch/en/

Here is the link to the Zurich City Card:
http://www.zuerich.com/en/Visitor/In...rich-card.html

We really liked this hotel and would absolutely stay here again.

Good luck and enjoy Zurich!

Last edited by nachosdelux; Sep 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the airport - much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
New Zurich Renaissance Tower Hotel?

Thinking about a trip to Zurich next year. I'm guessing the Renaissance Tower hotel that recently opened is the nicest Marriott property there. Anyone have experience with this hotel? Concierge Lounge, hotel location, etc?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Can't help with hotel amenities, but that location is industrial.

I recently stayed at the Zurich Marriott on points and it has a wonderful 24/7 executive lounge. Was upgraded to a suite overlooking the Limmat River and the hotel itself is on the river, on the fringe of Old Town and a short walk to the Main Train Station.

It depends on how important hotel location is to you. The excellent transportation system will easily get you anywhere you need to go from either hotel. If pricing is similar, I would take the Marriott.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed that loooking just at location, the Marriott is superior and we found the lounge to be excellent, no complaints there. The trams will get you anywhere, but sometimes you want to go for a stroll without having to get on a tram.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Thanks for the responses but I think you are talking about the older Renaissance Hotel in Zurich. Does anyone have information on the new Renaissance Tower Hotel that just opened a couple of months ago?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am looking at a map of downtown Zurich, there are only two hotels in the MR family- the Marriott and the Ren Tower (the older airport Ren is way, way out of town). Comparing the two "downtown" hotels the Marriott has a much better location.

Google maps puts the walking time/distance to the main train station at 650 meters/ 8 mins for the Marriott (we did it easily with suitcases there and back even in winter) It puts the Renaissance Zürich Tower Hotel at 2.2 km and 28 mins from the main train station. Also looking at the map, the Marriott looks out over the river, the Ren over a train yard.

Note that the main tourist area is just beyond the train station so another 5 minute further walk from both hotels.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I am looking at a map of downtown Zurich, there are only two hotels in the MR family- the Marriott and the Ren Tower (the older airport Ren is way, way out of town). Comparing the two "downtown" hotels the Marriott has a much better location.

Google maps puts the walking time/distance to the main train station at 650 meters/ 8 mins for the Marriott (we did it easily with suitcases there and back even in winter) It puts the Renaissance Zürich Tower Hotel at 2.2 km and 28 mins from the main train station. Also looking at the map, the Marriott looks out over the river, the Ren over a train yard.

Note that the main tourist area is just beyond the train station so another 5 minute further walk from both hotels.
Thanks for the follow up. Sound's like the Marriott is the better choice.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:33 am
Suspended

No more free breakfast for gold members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.