Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland

Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nissan motor
I am not sure what you are talking about but there is a direct tram (pink color, number 10) from the airport to downtown which stops near the Renaissance (about 200 metres from the hotel). Isn't that convenient enough?
you are funny

Yes, in 2004 tram No. 10 neither connected to the Ren nor to ZRH
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Can anyone comment on their experience at the Renaissance Airport Hotel?

Thanks.

RANT: The lounge is closed for winter

Compensation: Softdrinks in the minibar and breakfast

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is the free wifi available for everyone on the club floor even when the lounge is closed?
Do they do coupons for drinks/snacks in the lobby for the evening cocktail hour? They really should make it clear on their web site that the club lounge is closed on weekends.
No free Internet, not even for Platinums. GRRRRR!

Complimentary Internet in the lounge only. GRRRR !

For what reason being a Platinum member with Marriott !?

Stay away from that dump! There is the Novotel next to the Renaissance at much lower rates.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by JC5280
There was also a movie being filmed in the hotel during part of the time I was there. I heard them speaking French, as well as German, so I am not sure what country the movie is from.
Switzerland, perhaps?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:14 pm

How far is the marriott from the lake? is it in the 'old part' of the city, or is Zurich pretty much all a modern city?

For 2 people, is the train from the airport, then taxi to marriott - is this really much less expensive than a taxi all the way?

Thanks for any info
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
How far is the marriott from the lake? is it in the 'old part' of the city, or is Zurich pretty much all a modern city?

For 2 people, is the train from the airport, then taxi to marriott - is this really much less expensive than a taxi all the way?

Thanks for any info
As has already been mentioned, the Marriott is close to the main railway station (Zurich HBf) and is a nice walk along the river to the lake. When me and Mrs Baker stayed there a couple of years ago, we walked from the hotel through some of the modern areas down to the lake and then back along the other side of the river via the old town.

Have a look at Google Maps and then use the Street View facility to get a feel of the place.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by jerseygirl

Thanks for any info
Its about a 15minute stroll from the Marriot to the lake, and you walk along the riverbank so its nice - even nicer if the weather is good. The Marriott is in a kind of modern area but there are older buildings around as well - I suspect by 'older' you mean the very pleasant buildings right on the lake front (for the most part, though they are scattered all over the city) - the Marriott itself is a modern building, though looking across the river you can see the Swiss national museum (old building)

I think the train is still likely to be cheaper, its been a while ago but it cost me ~50CHF in a taxi to get from the airport to city centre (in 2008), the train is about 10CHF per person - you might also find it easier to get a Zurichcard (24/72 hours of free public transport plus some museum entries) which I think was 38CHF for 72 hours (This was in January this year). I'd recommend the train as its easy, quick, clean, efficient and means you get to see the train station - and the walk from the train station to the Marriott is only 5-10mins and along the riverbank so that means its also a pleasant walk. Plus, Switzerland is all about the punctual public transport - see how the pros do it (I'm British, we officially class our trains as 'on time' if they arrive within about 10-15minutes of their specified arrival time, the Swiss appear to do it based on arriving within about 30seconds of their specified time).
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Stayed at the Zurich Marriott without status. The room was upgraded and was given Lounge access. Liked the lounge. ^
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sweets61250
Stayed at the Zurich Marriott without status. The room was upgraded and was given Lounge access. Liked the lounge. ^
Wow, good for you. ZRH must be running low Exec. floor occupancy while the rest of the hotel is full. Good for you, but ran into an overcrowded lounge in ZRH more than once and I think they should be more careful with their upgrades.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There isn't too much information on this hotel. I'll be staying there in November on a mileage run. I wanted to link to FLYGVA's post here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10492294-post7.html and his review of the hotel (with pictures) here - http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/hote...rh_cy_nord.htm

Does anyone have any info on the surrounding area? I'm going to be there for 2 nights & from the reviews on TripAdvisor, there's not a heck of a lot going on in the area (it's a business travelers hotel, not a leisure one). It seems that the best options for things to do in the area is to hop on the train & either go to Zurich downtown or go to Lucerne for a day trip (though November will be cold!)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I stayed there last year. It's a 3-minute walk to the Oerlikon train station. Pretty much industrial/commercial right around the hotel, looks like some residential on the other side of the rail tracks.

Best thing to do is to get a city transit day pass. The local trains (S-bahn), streetcars, and buses are all included on the pass. It's about twice the cost of a one-ride ticket into the city, so it pays for itself very quickly. Ask at the rail/transit ticket counter at ZRH.

http://www.zvv.ch/export/sites/defau...s/TxP_E_09.pdf

It's about a 10 minute ride from the train station into town, so pretty easy to see the city and sights. I went down around the lake and wandered around town. Took in a couple of decent meals and that pretty much did it for a day.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - that's sort of the impression I got - I'll check out the pass. Appreciate the info!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Thanks - that's sort of the impression I got - I'll check out the pass. Appreciate the info!
You should be able to get a pass that covers the trip from the airport to the hotel (and into town) as well as Zone 10 (which is city center). Ask at the airport train station. Most speak excellent English. The hotel can also answer the question but by then it'll already cost you for the train ride airport-hotel.

I liked the hotel, even though I was there on a Sunday night. Some things (including a couple of restaurants I wanted to return to) in town were closed, but there was still a lot open.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm finishing up on the last night of a four night stay and I'm very, very happy with my treatment.

It was not easy to get the upgrade I wanted (to a larger room, not just deluxe (i.e. view room), but my inquiry on how much it would cost to upgrade to a junior suite produced a complimentary upgrade to a business deluxe, very nice large room.

Well furnished, great condition, the lounge is superb! Breakfast and evening snacks, 24 hour beverage (including beer). Internet is very expensive (35 CSH), wish I know about the lobby access earlier (I asked about wifi, should have asked more broadly).

Service (concierge, front desk, etc.) very good except one afternoon they didn't heed the do not disturb sign and disturbed my wife.

Location is awesome, two minutes from the 11/14 tram (go out the second floor, left to the corner, cross the street, see and climb the stairs or better yet, take the lift). Literally 9 minutes today to downtown door to door.

I will return (and I'm a SPG platinum, but in this town, I think Marriott rules).

PS My delight is somehow enhanced by the booking pre point increase. Otherwise four nights would hurt, and it's not a five night town.
Is the alcohol in the lounge complimentary, or honor bar (been spending a lot of time in APAC Marriotts, so I've been spoiled recently).
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flying_q
Is the alcohol in the lounge complimentary, or honor bar (been spending a lot of time in APAC Marriotts, so I've been spoiled recently).
Adult beverages like wine and beer are complimentary, hard stuff comes with a price tag. Wine is drinkable, beer does the trick.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Quick trip review

Hi,

Just wanted to give a quick review of this property.

Checked in on New year's eve and departed on the 2nd day of the new year.

Location it is very convenient both to downtown and airport with the tramlines running outside of the hotel [2-5 mins walk depending with/without baggage]. The trams run very frequently even late in the evening/weekends.

Was greeted by a very friendly yet professional front desk staff and helped with checked in. In general all the other staff that I encountered throughout my stay were very friendly. Since it was a check-in around noon, I was given 2 options, to wait and go downtown first for a better room or take a room facing the main road. I decided to wait and upon return from downtown was given a room on the Club floor.

Rooms are ok and comfortable. They had on the first night a turndown service. Bed was comfortable and lighting was sufficient. The TV was still the old CRT tube tv with a sufficient choice.

Internet is free for elite members and breakfast even in the weekends. The lounge is open, but only self-service for softdrinks, tea/coffee and snacks.
Breakfast buffet was sufficient. Not sure if it is only in the weekends, but it was the special German/Swiss Champagne breakfast.

Used the in-house bar which was also very good and friendly staff. Price was just maybe 1-2 CHF more expensive than a normal bar in the city.

In general I was very very satisfied with the property, especially the staff and treatment of Elite members [Gold + Plat]. This is now my #1 Marriott property within Europe.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.