Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott reservations with cash + points (now live)

Old Jul 26, 12, 4:22 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
Original Poster

You’ve been asking for the ability to combine redemption nights and cash nights within a single reservation – and the wait is almost over. Get ready for Marriott Rewards Cash + Points coming soon.

Along with this new flexibility, you’ll still earn points and Elite night credits for your nights paid with cash.

Check out www.marriottrewards.com/cashpoints for additional details and watch for the arrival of Cash + Points soon.

Safe travels,
Andy

Marriott Rewards Insiders
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Great news! Have to start booking some more Marriott stays. Thanks for offering this!
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
reading the small blurb suggested, doesn't look like this C&P will be like SPG or HH, but only for combining redemption nights with paid nights, but if so, can't see any difference in making current reservations.............now, if Marriott would institute an SPG/HH C&P program that might be a benefit............. we'll see............

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge View Post
You’ve been asking for the ability to combine redemption nights and cash nights within a single reservation – and the wait is almost over. Get ready for Marriott Rewards Cash + Points coming soon.

Along with this new flexibility, you’ll still earn points and Elite night credits for your nights paid with cash.

Check out www.marriottrewards.com/cashpoints for additional details and watch for the arrival of Cash + Points soon.

Safe travels,
Andy

Marriott Rewards Insiders

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jul 26, 12 at 4:56 pm
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
reading the small blurb suggested, doesn't look like this C&P will be like SPG or HH, but only for combining redemption nights with paid nights, but if so, can't see any difference in making current reservations.............now, if Marriott would institute an SPG/HH C&P program that might be a benefit............. we'll see............
That's how I interpreted it too. It's not really a cash&points ala the other chains where you can use points & a small amount of cash to reserve a room (vs paying full rate for the room), which is originally what I thought it would be.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
If all this does is allow you to combine reward reservations with cash reservations, then big deal. The general benefit of a cash plus points reservation is to allow you to pay the difference in cash (generally based on a lower price per point than buying the points outright) if you don't have enough points for a reservation (and yes, it works with one night reservations).

Thanks for another worthless benefit Marriott.
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence
Thumbs down

Functionally, this seems no different than me booking a cash stay, booking a points stay and then telling the front desk to just keep me in the same room when I check out/check in.

I see absolutely no value from this program. As others have stated, if this was a true cash+points option, like SPG, it would be very interesting. As it stands, it seems like nothing more than an IT enhancement to their reservation system being passed off as a new "benefit"

And what benefit is it that I get elite night credit for the nights I pay for in cash? Perhaps I'm missing something but this seems no different than today.

I'm not shooting the messenger, Andy, but this doesn't seem well thought through by whoever came up with this program. At one level, it's confusing - when compared to SPG - at another, it's mildly insulting to our intelligence.

Last edited by TommyC80; Jul 26, 12 at 5:10 pm
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Sorry guys, but I see it differently, perhaps because I am invested in 2 additional programs that does have this feature.

The first thing to notice is that to use this new option, whatever form it takes, requires a 2 night, presumably consecutive reservation.

Now there are 2 chains that also have a cash and points option:

1). IHG -- You actually buy the points in advance from IHG and the entire reservation then appears as a points reservation. Thus, there are no foreign exchange fees (at least with respect to US members, I have no idea howIHG's other foreign websites administer this). IHG points stays do not earn stay or night credit, but if you cancel the reservation, the points that you bought for the cash and points reservation go back into your account. I do not expect Marriott to follow this model.

2). Radisson -- Radisson does allow you to book with points and cash or straight points or straigh cash, although you could book a 1 night stay with any of these options.

So, too, Radisson considers a points and cash stay as earning stay and nights credit for their promotions, as well as earning points on the cash spend outlay. From the little that I have read, Marriott appears to be adopting this model, albeit requiring a 2 night stay with cash and points.

Whether the stay can be interrupted with a pure cash or pure points night remains to be seen, but the Radisson model is a very good model. Essentially, it works as allowing your points to give you a % discount off of the advance payment rate and it permits you a cancel with refund option -- at least with respect to Radisson.

Therefore, if you are points rich but don't have a good rate from whatever organization you belong to, the cash and points option from Radisson permits you to obtain roughly a 20% discount on the Advance Purchase rate with a cancellation option.

As the date of your stay draws nearer, you can see if the daily rate goes down, or if another online website has that date at a less expensive rate -- as Radisson essentially has adopted the Marriott BRG with a 25% discount, if one is sucessful.

I look forward to further information as this develops.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jul 26, 12 at 5:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:29 pm
Suspended

suggest you re-read the "new" program.............. it isn't going to be like others............. if it were it would get a +1 from me, but the way the program is being announced, it will get a -1 as really useless..............

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Sorry guys, but I see it differently, perhaps because I am invested in 2 additional programs that does have this feature.

The first thing to notice is that to use this new option, whatever form it takes, requires a 2 night, presumably consecutive reservation.

Now there are 2 chains that also have a cash and points option:

1). IHG -- You actually buy the points in advance from IHG and the entire reservation then appears as a points reservation. Thus, there are no foreign exchange fees (at least with respect to US members, I have no idea howIHG's other foreign websites administer this). IHG points stays do not earn stay or night credit, but if you cancel the reservation, the points that you bought for the cash and points reservation go back into your account. I do not expect Marriott to follow this model.

2). Radisson -- Radisson does allow you to book with points and cash or straight points or straigh cash, although you could book a 1 night stay with any of these options.

So, too, Radisson considers a points and cash stay as earning stay and nights credit for their promotions, as well as earning points on the cash spend outlay. From the little that I have read, Marriott appears to be adopting this model, albeit requiring a 2 night stay with cash and points. Whether the stay can be interrupted with a pure cash or pure points night remains to be seen, but the Radisson model is a very good model. Essentially, it works as having your points giving you a % discount off of the advance payment rate - at least with respect to Radisson - but it permits you the cancel option. Therefore, if you are points rich but don't have a good rate from whatever organizations you belong to, the cash and points option at Radisson permits you to obtain roughly a 20% discount on the Advance Purchase rate with a cancellation option. As the date of your stay draws nearer, you can see if the rates go down, or if another online website has a less expensive option -- as Radisson essentially has adopted the Marriott BRG with a 25% discount, if sucessful.
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge View Post
You’ve been asking for the ability to combine redemption nights and cash nights within a single reservation
I think Marriott misunderstood what customers were REALLY asking for!!!!

But that would not be anything new.

Heck--I can already combine cash stays with free!!!! Have done so for may years....

Please tell me that I am the idiot here and just not understanding what is being said.

Cash and points means "part cash, part points", for any given night or nights.
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Ahh...

I see what you mean:

redemption nights and cash nights within a single reservation of two nights or more
But, this is not new. You can do this now. Moreover, with the 7 night travel package, I believe that one can use the nights in a non-consecutive manner, so long as they are linked by paid nights.

Therefore, what is new about this announcement?
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:42 pm
Suspended

that's what "we" have been saying in the above posts.............. nothing new yields useless............ PLEASE Marriott, try again to do a real C&P program that would be of interest and use to alot of us........ (I'll even waive free parking for elites!)

Ahh...

I see what you mean:

But, this is not new. You can do this now. Moreover, with the 7 night travel package, I believe that one can use the nights in a non-consecutive manner, so long as they are linked by paid nights.

Therefore, what is new about this announcement?
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
that's what "we" have been saying in the above posts.............. nothing new yields useless............ PLEASE Marriott, try again to do a real C&P program that would be of interest and use to alot of us........ (I'll even waive free parking for elites!)
If this is, indeed, the case, then the "roll-out" of this "new" option is quite misleading, as it does nothing more than quantify something that has existed for years, but uses a moniker that others use to mean something else, thereby misleading the reader to think that this is somehting new and exciting.

As others have said, I don't blame the Marriott Concierge, rather his bosses who required him to make such a misleading non-announcement.
Old Jul 26, 12, 6:06 pm

Are they seriously telling us that we can pay for some nights and then use an award for others in the same trip???? Did they think no one knew this??? Call me stupid but I see absolutely NOTHING that constitutes an announcement here.

Unbelievable.

And yet, somehow, I envision Marriott thinking of this as the replacement for BOGO that we've been waiting a year for.

Marriott Concierge, please clarify.
Old Jul 26, 12, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I started a thread on Insiders to say how stoo-pid it is. I also pointed out that we're not blaming the messenger.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10837

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 12, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is, indeed, the case, then the "roll-out" of this "new" option is quite misleading, as it does nothing more than quantify something that has existed for years, but uses a moniker that others use to mean something else, thereby misleading the reader to think that this is somehting new and exciting.

As others have said, I don't blame the Marriott Concierge, rather his bosses who required him to make such a misleading non-announcement.
Let me guess they just hired their marketing genius away from COdbaUA, SPIN that till now I only expected from the likes of COdbaUA

If its not set up as SPG or the others have it and that it counts as well even as a 1 nighter for Night Credit its a non starter

Search this Thread
Search Engine: