Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by carauline
My points were posted this morning. Those 15 nights help me for the gold status so I do hope we will get them for this year!
Today is my 1 year anniversary. The 15 nights are posted but not points from Jan. 11 Visa statement
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by alc
For those didn't get the email that beanie72 referring to:
Thank you posting it

I wasn't able to post it.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Jono
I sent a message on FB asking what new card they might be offering to Canadian cardholders, got this response:

It appears they will be sharing a URL with those eligible to allow them to apply.
I already have 2 Amex cards (Plat and Cobalt), which I thought was the limit. I haven't had an SPG Amex in ages, but it is mainly the 0% FX fee and the free night cert that I liked on the Marriott card. The 0% was even good for getting foreign currency abroad from an ATM - just prepay the card and withdraw - the one time fee was always much less than any FX charges. Thanks to the suggestions below for new cards. I'll take a look.

I never got a letter from Chase, though. I see now on logging in that there is a message, but that's pretty new. I also didn't see anything about a partial refund of the annual fee that was mentioned up-thread.

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Jan 19, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFan
Today is my 1 year anniversary. The 15 nights are posted but not points from Jan. 11 Visa statement
Well, that's good to hear about the 15 nights.

My anniversary is next month and I'm counting on those 15 nights to get to Lifetime Platinum!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:54 pm

Yeah, so quite unimpressed with the way Marriott and Chase are handling this. For any major loyalty program like this, a credit card program is a cornerstone feature. I only got this card a year ago and now they plan to eliminate it with two months notice and no information on what, if anything, they might replace it with. " WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER DOOR OPENS NEW OPPORTUNITIES" What is that??? And the phone number to call at the end of that email is a typo.

I spoke with representatives of both Chase and Marriott Rewards and they have zilch by way of additional information.

This isn't the way to treat customers you'd like to continue to be loyal to you.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drgmobile
Yeah, so quite unimpressed with the way Marriott and Chase are handling this. For any major loyalty program like this, a credit card program is a cornerstone feature. I only got this card a year ago and now they plan to eliminate it with two months notice and no information on what, if anything, they might replace it with. " WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER DOOR OPENS NEW OPPORTUNITIES" What is that??? And the phone number to call at the end of that email is a typo.

I spoke with representatives of both Chase and Marriott Rewards and they have zilch by way of additional information.

This isn't the way to treat customers you'd like to continue to be loyal to you.
Although Marriott might have been able to handle it better, I will put most of the blame on Chase on this one. Chase has two offerings in Canada, the other one being the Amazon.ca visa card. Same announcement was made for that card. In essence, this is much more about Chase leaving Canada and terminating their agreement with their partners than anything else
imverge likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I never got a letter from Chase, though. I see now on logging in that there is a message, but that's pretty new. I also didn't see anything about a partial refund of the annual fee that was mentioned up-thread.

Dr. PITUK
I see the same thing. No letter and no statement for January. I wonder if folks above received the letter with the statement.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I see the same thing. No letter and no statement for January. I wonder if folks above received the letter with the statement.
Both MamaTwick and I have the card. She received a letter a couple of days before her statement (which arrived today), plus the email. I've gotten zilch.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Letter came separately from the statement. Wife did get letter, but I did not. She actively uses the card, I do not. Sibling received Amazon letter the same day. Perhaps that's the difference?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I got my statement today and there is no mention of it. As someone else mentioned, my credit card points have always credited to my Marriott account on the 18th, but still nothing this month. Maybe it is always back-dated - I don't check that often!

I first got an SPG Visa or Mastercard - I don't remember. They kept getting discontinued, but I ended up with a brilliant MBNA Mastercard with (effectively) unlimited, easy to get 2% cash back, no fee. Everything was always done with lots of notice and with better cards as replacement. SPG Amex doesn't meet that (except for the signup bonus, perhaps).

Dr. PITUK.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Rewards Canada says we are getting another free night.

Rewards Canada: January 19 Update: All Chase Marriott Visa cardholders to receive free night award, 20x Shoppers Optimum points tomorrow and a trio of Aeroplan hotel bonuses

I'd like to cancel my card ASAP to maximize my refund (I have other no forex fee cards I can use), but I don't want to miss out on the free night!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Rewards Canada: January 19 Update: All Chase Marriott Visa cardholders to receive free night award, 20x Shoppers Optimum points tomorrow and a trio of Aeroplan hotel bonuses

I'd like to cancel my card ASAP to maximize my refund (I have other no forex fee cards I can use), but I don't want to miss out on the free night!
I wouldn't chance it. The free night will be added after the shutdown.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Fingers crossed for a free night, but I'd rather see a replacement card with 0%FX. I get Gold via SPG (for now!) so I don't need the nights, but I admit that I've enjoyed it a lot, but now that I'n not back in China regularly, it will be a challenge to find anywhere within a few hundred miles under Cat 5!

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I use mine at the Toronto Airport Marriott before those 6 am flights to HNL.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by briantoronto
Yes, but there is a 29$/yr fee that is only waived if you pre-auth your services on Rogers/Fido. I don't plan on staying w. Rogers/Fido long term for my internet, so didn't want to go that route.
Even if you're not a Rogers customer, if you spend more than $11,600 per year on the card, 1.75% with $29 annual fee is better than 1.5% without fee.

Update: After writing the above (which is true), I realized that the reason for getting this card is for the foreign exchange benefit, which is 4% in either case. I wouldn't put any Canadian purchases on it because there are better card options for that. However, I expect to be with Rogers for the foreseeable future, so the $29 fee is irrelevant to me.

Last edited by CP@YOW; Jan 20, 2018 at 6:29 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.