Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
How do these 2 cards compare? I have both and they are not complementary.
I used to have the SPG Amex, but switched to Marriott Visa mainly because Visa can be used in so many more places than Amex in Canada, and the lack of forex fee. Also once Costco stopped accepting Amex, I didn't see a reason to have one.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by echino
I have a refundable prepaid hotel booking on this card for July. What happens if they close the card in March, but I cancel the booking in June or July and the refund automatically goes to the closed card? Hotel can only refund the original card, they cannot make a refund in any other method. Will I get the cheque from Chase? Or is the money lost in the black hole?
I am going to call Chase to see what they say. If I don't like their answer, I'll call my hotel to see if they can charge the deposits for the rooms on a new card.

I think I will have to stop using this card completely (and my Amazon card, too) by next month, too - just in case there's any sort of refund situation coming. I've NEVER had a situation where the bank was terminating their service in Canada - and this is a scary prospect when it comes to money owed to you for refunds/chargebacks.

And this brings up a point that affects all of us: most of us are probably going to be owed money for a pro-rated annual fee refund - so I suspect they'll be sending cheques in the mail for those - since that refund isn't likely to happen until they close down all the cards on March 15th. This is why cancelling the card previous to the March 15th shutdown could be preferable, since you can still nag them for the refund on the phone until March 15th, or have them apply it to your current balance. Who knows what type of 'support' there will be post-March 15th. If you don't see your prorated refund, or don't get your cheque, after March 15th - who yah gonna call when they've shut down their operations? Could end up being like a bankruptcy where customers get screwed over after they've filed...

Last edited by pokee; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
alc

The letter specific state no annual fee will be charge beyond Jan 1st, 2018. Hence, anyone having their annual fee to be charge this year (2018) will not be charge for anything. I would not be worry about stop using the card nor cancel it before March 15. In fact if you use it, it will actually help offset the annual fee credit. Also, the wording does sound like anyone holding the card will get a free night cert upon card termination beyond March 15th. About refund and stuff, it is not like Chase Canada went under, so, any refund will go back to the card and they will send you a cheque. It will like any other card that you cancel and then having a refund afterward.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by alc
The letter specific state no annual fee will be charge beyond Jan 1st, 2018. Hence, anyone having their annual fee to be charge this year (2018) will not be charge for anything. I would not be worry about stop using the card nor cancel it before March 15. In fact if you use it, it will actually help offset the annual fee credit. Also, the wording does sound like anyone holding the card will get a free night cert upon card termination beyond March 15th. About refund and stuff, it is not like Chase Canada went under, so, any refund will go back to the card and they will send you a cheque. It will like any other card that you cancel and then having a refund afterward.
This is my thinking as well, and glad to see someone else articulate it. As it so happens, I'm leaving Feb. 7 for 6 weeks in Europe, so I'll also be using it right up to the 15th.

The loss of this card is a big blow - it's my main card, and while I'd love to be able to switch over to AMEX as my primary card, it's accepted so few places here I need to think about getting another (will probably apply for a TD Aeroplan Visa to tide me over for now...)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Well for the first time in my adult life I'll no longer have a Visa card and with the gutting of the Canadian Amex Plat card with no more Fairmont benefits it is looking pretty grim for that card as well. I might just be left with my good old Costco Mastercard! I'm sure glad Costco in the US is now accepting their Mastercard instead of requiring Visa.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:49 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Just got my official letter in the mail; while it is disappointing, I think many of us saw this writing on the wall. Even if it wasn't for Chase Canada, the merger always had a question mark over this and the SPG AMEX. I'm actually lamenting that I didn't know SPG stays now earned 5 miles per dollar on this card... serves me for not following this thread!

Any good non-FX cards left in Canada?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Absolute
Just got my official letter in the mail; while it is disappointing, I think many of us saw this writing on the wall. Even if it wasn't for Chase Canada, the merger always had a question mark over this and the SPG AMEX. I'm actually lamenting that I didn't know SPG stays now earned 5 miles per dollar on this card... serves me for not following this thread!

Page 78
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by Absolute
I would also like to know if any non-FX cards exist in Canada??? Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:05 am

I'm disappointed that we are losing the Amazon card. It was my no-fee card that got used outside of Canada.

One card I'm looking at is the HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard. $149 annual fee, but you get a $100 travel credit. 3% return on travel purchases, 1.5% on everything else. I am trying to find out information on transfer options for those points, as I believe they can be converted to airline programs.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mitsou_jpn
I would also like to know if any non-FX cards exist in Canada??? Thanks.
0% foreign currency conversion charge
No annual fee
1% cash back
Free roadside assistance

Preferred Visa
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
I'm sure glad Costco in the US is now accepting their Mastercard instead of requiring Visa.
Can you confirm that you can use a Mastercard at US Costco locations? I don't see anything on the Costco's US website that they will accept mastercard in their warehouses. Just Visa.
Shopping at Costco in the US is practically the only reason I still need a Visa card. I'd be happy to know if that isn't the case anymore.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:50 am

Hi Insiders,

Thanks for tagging us in your comments regarding the new credit card change. There will be more information available to you on January 19th. Please be sure to look out for updates and news this Friday.

Best,
Whitney
According to the other people calling in, they are reporting that a new card will be launched Jan 19th.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:21 am

I sent a message on FB asking what new card they might be offering to Canadian cardholders, got this response:

We have partnered with American Express on an exclusive to apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card. The offer is for existing Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Cardholders who do not already have the SPG Amex credit card.
It appears they will be sharing a URL with those eligible to allow them to apply.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:36 am

What Will Happen After March 15th?

I called Chase this morning to discuss to ask some questions about what will happen after March 15th when the Marriott card closes, since I was concerned that I may need to have some hotel charges refunded after March 15th. Very informative - and relieving:

1. What will happen if a merchant attempts to post a refund to your card post March 15th? The refund will be posted fine. You will need to call in to get a refund cheque issued.
2. How will I get my pro-rated refund for my annual fee I paid back in November? The pro-rated refund will be posted to your account. You'll need to call in to get a refund cheque issued.
3. How will a refund cheque get issued if Chase bank is closed in Canada? Scotiabank has taken over Chase, so they will be handling all customer service.
4. How long will the 1-800 number/customer service continue to operate post-March 15th? According to a supervisor, there is no 'end date' for phone service availability.
5. How long will the website continue to operate, so you can check if refunds/pro-rated annual fee has posted? According to a supervisor, there is no 'end date' for the website to shut down.
6. If I choose to close my account prior to March 15 (because of the card shutting down, anyway) will I still get the pro-rated annual fee and get to keep my e-cert? Yes - and according to a supervisor, there will be no detrimental verbiage or negative affect on your credit bureau when the card closes, so there is no need to close the account yourself prior to March 15th. (I am not sure if I trust the rep as much as I believe what Jerry mentioned here, but perhaps someone else can confirm this). Personally I'd like to use the card as long as possible, so I'll likely ride the train to the end of the line! I'm happy to get an $80 AF credit and keep my e-cert!

Regarding a new card - the rep did hint that there's a possibility that another bank still has time to pick up the Marriott branded card, but this sounds unlikely. If Chase is offering a 'deal' for Marriott cardholders to get the SPG Amex, that's likely what she was referring to. Besides, I'm skeptical that any other bank would pick up a hotel card, considering what happened to Hilton and IHG. I am actually surprised that the Marriott card lasted as long as it did! And surprised that the MBNA BW MC is still alive and kicking!

Anyway, hope this info helps - I am hoping more people will call in to see if they get answers consistent to mine. Let's hope so!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Jono
Can you confirm that you can use a Mastercard at US Costco locations? I don't see anything on the Costco's US website that they will accept mastercard in their warehouses. Just Visa.
Shopping at Costco in the US is practically the only reason I still need a Visa card. I'd be happy to know if that isn't the case anymore.
Visa is exclusive to Costco in the US, however, from what I've read online, Capital One Costco MasterCard will work in the US, because it's tied to your membership in Canada. This is not mentioned anywhere on their website, and I would suspect not many staff would know about it. But Costco MC users from Canada claim it works at the the Costcos in the US they've tried...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.