Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Avios,Alaska
Ok, so now the card does not work anymore at the Japan Post Office ATM for cash advance? I used it successfully 2 years ago several times. What happens now is that the ATM just spits out the card without asking for a pin and says you cannot use this card, and to ask the staff to learn about the problem. I did ask and they don't know, we tried together with a different machine, in english and in japanese. I tried an AMEX and it worked. A lady next to me tried her Visa and it worked. So there is something with Chase and the Post Office. There is no problem making several purchases at merchants. What I did to get cash was to find an SMBC Prestia (ex-Citi Bank) ATM. I will try the 7-11 convenience store ATM and see if that an option in the future.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Avios,Alaska
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
If you've reset your PIN now, make sure you use it at least once at a merchant's chip/PIN device (I recommend Timmies or Shoppers), so that you ensure the new PIN is stored onto the card before you leave the country. You won't be able to set it if you're not in Canada (or USA), and may not be able to complete those purchases and/or cash advances.

Take note of crimsona's post above as well. You may get two "Invalid PIN" statuses, but then it should work on the third try.
When I called before departure, the agent said, it was not a reset but an unblock. I tried the card to make sure, and everything was working fine. I am sad to see this card go. Got a great redemption at a super nice hotel and enjoyed Gold status passed from SPG. Thanks for your helpful posts.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:23 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
The Amazon.ca card from Chase is discontinued after March 15, 2018.
(https://www.chase.com/online/canada/...CN_ada-eng.pdf)

Anyone have news on this card? This is really a kick in the nuts for me if the card goes away.

Do I need to be a US resident to get a US card? Does that mean US address?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Handcake
(https://www.chase.com/online/canada/...CN_ada-eng.pdf)

Anyone have news on this card? This is really a kick in the nuts for me if the card goes away.

Bummer...but this was predicted by many. The Marrott card is next... I'm so sad!!!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since this letter is dated in the future, how did you manage to get it? I hate to see what this will do to my credit rating since this is my oldest Canadian card.

You need a U.S. address and a Social Security number.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since this letter is dated in the future, how did you manage to get it? I hate to see what this will do to my credit rating since this is my oldest Canadian card.
Chase posted it on their website yesterday, despite the date.

Marriott card can't be far behind - Amazon card lasted approximately a year after they stopped accepting applications.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CorSter
Chase posted it on their website yesterday, despite the date.

Marriott card can't be far behind - Amazon card lasted approximately a year after they stopped accepting applications.
If you read the second comment on the blog posting here:
Chase Canada Closing All Amazon.ca Credit Cards March 15 - Don't Call the Airline!

"Jim B" claims a phone agent told him that the Marriott card will also be ending Mar. 15. Any corroborating evidence from FTers?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

Any thoughts what will happen to the free night certificate?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Any thoughts what will happen to the free night certificate?
It will still be honoured.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
This card was great because of the free night cert which I use in Asia at a JW Marriott, so it more than pays for the $120 a year fee the card hard.

The 5x points on Marriott stays is also really great. Lastly the 15 nights credit if you are going for gold/plat wasn't bad either.

The no ForEX fee was the icing for this card. Canadian banks love to charge that 2-3% fee and it sucks that chase is now leaving.

I am just curious WHEN this card will be no good, as I use it for all my Marriott stays and all my non Canadian dollar transactions.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
This card was great because of the free night cert which I use in Asia at a JW Marriott, so it more than pays for the $120 a year fee the card hard.

The 5x points on Marriott stays is also really great. Lastly the 15 nights credit if you are going for gold/plat wasn't bad either.

The no ForEX fee was the icing for this card. Canadian banks love to charge that 2-3% fee and it sucks that chase is now leaving.

I am just curious WHEN this card will be no good, as I use it for all my Marriott stays and all my non Canadian dollar transactions.
I hope it sticks around, it's by far the best no-FOREX card in Canada. I use it for nearly all my foreign hotel-stays and other purchases, it's a double-whammy of awesome to get 2X/5X points AND no FOREX. :/
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:22 am

This is my go to travel card so it’s a big disappointment for sure. I will miss the 15 status nights and the other perks. I think It’s a bit trickier for Chase to pull the plug on this one as I imagine they would have to prorate the annual fee refund based on anniversary date.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Iguana0
This is my go to travel card so it’s a big disappointment for sure. I will miss the 15 status nights and the other perks. I think It’s a bit trickier for Chase to pull the plug on this one as I imagine they would have to prorate the annual fee refund based on anniversary date.
Are you sure there isn't some escape clause in their 20 - 30 pages of terms and conditions that would allow pulling the plug without refunding a portion of the annual fee?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:33 am

Possible, but if they're paying out cents for leftover Amazon statement credits, I think they'll be fair with annual fees.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I got a notice today that the card is being terminated March 15 2018.

Account fees are prorated to March 15 and will be refunded, and it says upon closure of your account you will be warded your anniversary Free night cert. not sure if everyone gets that as a parting gift...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.