Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jerry305
In the past, I thought the T&C were that only "new" cardholders were eligible for the bonus points.

Is that language in these terms anywhere?
I just want to avoid applying, getting the card, and being denied points.
Based on data point from June last year, the "new" is anything 6+ months after account closure. If you want to be on safe side, waiting 12 months is advisable. The card will get you the signup points and bonus nights, but you will not get free night eCertificate for cat4 - that one is only once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Lazarev
Based on data point from June last year, the "new" is anything 6+ months after account closure. If you want to be on safe side, waiting 12 months is advisable. The card will get you the signup points and bonus nights, but you will not get free night eCertificate for cat4 - that one is only once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)
the cat4 certificate doesn't exist anymore, it's not a cat1-5 once a year every year after the first.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Smiley90
the cat4 certificate doesn't exist anymore, it's not a cat1-5 once a year every year after the first.
Silly me, I should read the wiki at the top... oh well, it was good while it lasted.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:30 pm

I closed this card August last year. Just signed up (approved). Hope I get the 50k points like many others on here. The TC says only new so I dunno how 6 or 12 months would make a real difference as after 14, 18, 36 months you are still not new.

Also I doubt the fears some others on here have that this card will vanish. The signup bonus is equiv to 20k spg, the card's only external benefit is the car-rental-drove-thru-a-soccer-goal-and-it-lit-on-fire benefit, and arguably the 2x for flights benefit (although amex gold is arguably/subjectively better value). Although a free night once we start paying for the card could be a good benefit if you're gold or above and use it in bangkok or somewhere.

My angle is converting marriott to mileage plus points as mileage plus is extremely valuable (for my needs) during that annual 25% bonus marriott:united window. And if you're really points rich some of those marriott hotel+flight offers are incredible deals. I think for the purpose of free hotel nights marriott rewards is awful, especially compared to spg, which can have some incredible sweet spots, like $250/night rooms going for 3500spg+55usd.

Originally Posted by Lazarev
but you will not get free night eCertificate for cat4 - that one is only once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)
I do not know why everyone keeps repeating this fallacy: at one point for a while there was the free night for new signups on day 0. That was then rolled back and for everyone it is only a benefit at day 365 (when you start paying the $120). Even completely virgin signups do not get the free night til year 1. FYF and a free cat1-4 night was a very sweet deal (especially for canada of all places) which probably explains why they rolled it back.

Originally Posted by jerry305
In the past, I thought the T&C were that only "new" cardholders were eligible for the bonus points.

Is that language in these terms anywhere?
I just want to avoid applying, getting the card, and being denied points.

My last card was cancelled in February, but I may try again anyway... I fear this card may soon be discontinued.
Refer to pp2, "Bonus Points"
Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after your first purchase for points to be posted to your Marriott Rewards account. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer. If your account is not kept open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account. Purchases must not be returned or otherwise offset by a credit to your account in order to qualify.

Last edited by phbl; Jun 15, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by phbl
I closed this card August last year. Just signed up (approved). Hope I get the 50k points like many others on here. The TC says only new so I dunno how 6 or 12 months would make a real difference as after 14, 18, 36 months you are still not new.
People still are reporting successful 50K welcome points and they are NOT new cardholders of this product.

Also I doubt the fears some others on here have that this card will vanish. The signup bonus is equiv to 20k spg, the card's only external benefit is the car-rental-drove-thru-a-soccer-goal-and-it-lit-on-fire benefit, and arguably the 2x for flights benefit (although amex gold is arguably/subjectively better value). Although a free night once we start paying for the card could be a good benefit if you're gold or above and use it in bangkok or somewhere.
I'm not sure how your points/reasoning have any explanation for allaying peoples fears, but I hope you're right.

I do not know why everyone keeps repeating this fallacy: at one point for a while there was the free night for new signups on day 0. That was then rolled back and for everyone it is only a benefit at day 365 (when you start paying the $120). Even completely virgin signups do not get the free night til year 1. FYF and a free cat1-4 night was a very sweet deal (especially for canada of all places) which probably explains why they rolled it back.
Again, not really sure what your discussion point is on this topic. You quoted Lazarev, and inferred that it was a fallacy about getting the Cat4 being "once in lifetime (or on some very long timeline)", and then morphed into discussion about the anniversary e-certificate. His point is valid, in a general sense, as explained in my next post-to-come.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: *void
Recent datapoints on extending legacy Cat4 e-certificates?

Has anyone successfully extended their introductory Cat4 e-certificate RECENTLY? I'm not referring to the anniversary Cat5 e-cert that you are given after a year of card ownership, but the one you get before you even received the card, if you were a new signup to the card, or if you knew about the trick to churn the card using a new Marriott Rewards number that hadn't been used in previous signups of this card.

We are on our 2nd and 3rd Cat4 ECs which were snagged during the last few days of Sep 2016, when Chase were in their final days of issuing them to new card accounts even though it was no longer a published offering. Ergo, our 2 certs will expire at end of Sep 2017, and we haven't found a need to use them, nor upcoming.

We had no problems extending these back in 2013-2016, same with the Cat5's that they issued to us even after we had cancelled our cards. Each time for a full new 365 days. Would like to know if anyone has had any success with these extensions RECENTLY, as I noticed there were a few murmurs from a few months or half year ago that Marriott were not being as lenient with granting them.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Just got a letter in the mail today stating the Chase has decided to close my card effective immediately. I am a bit dumbfounded as I have had this card since 2012, paid the annual fee every year, never late, and never tried to churn it.

Called in and all they will tell me is that Chase has been reviewing accounts and has been deciding to close certain ones. He said it had nothing to do with creditworthiness or the way I have handled the account. All he could tell me is 'Chase has decided they no longer wish to do business with you on this account.' The bank wont reveal that information for business reasons. I was told that I can appeal to the Executive Offices but would likely receive a letter with no further explanation. They also will not refund the annual fee, even a pro-rated amount as it has been over 180 days since I paid the annual fee.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening? I don't use the card much for local everyday spend, but I travel regularly and charge several thousand of dollars to this card on my trips. Was going to use for week stay at a Marriott in Thailand Maybe they didnt like to see the spending lulls and sudden spending sprees? Maybe they did make interest off of me? I have no clue!

Any insight anyone could offer would be much appreciated. I was told I could apply for the card again in 6 months (would be much easier to keep my 5 year old card open!) so I guess I am not blacklisted.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by canuck84
They also will not refund the annual fee, even a pro-rated amount as it has been over 180 days since I paid the annual fee.
This is a shocker, I would call again for a refund.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck84
They also will not refund the annual fee, even a pro-rated amount as it has been over 180 days since I paid the annual fee.

This is a shocker, I would call again for a refund.
Yeah, I'd be demanding the ENTIRE fee back - not only for the inconvenience, but for the hit on your bureau when having to reapply. Although, you will get the bonus and the first year fee waived, so that's a plus.....
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I last had the Canadian Chase Marriott Visa this Jan, is it too soon to reapply? I'm concerned Chase is leaving Canada altogether and want to hit it one last time...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
6 months / 180 days since cancellation date is usually ok in our experience.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

When does the annual free night cert post for this card?
The first annual fee for my card just posted (had the card for one year now) but I don't see the annual free night cert in my Marriott account.
Just wondering if this is normal...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by agjil
When does the annual free night cert post for this card?
The first annual fee for my card just posted (had the card for one year now) but I don't see the annual free night cert in my Marriott account.
Just wondering if this is normal...
I just got a statement in the mail today with the renewal fee, and I checked my Marriott account and the free night cert was there. So hopefully yours will post soon (I suspect at the same time the points for that statement post)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Anyone knows what to do when they gave 2x the points instead of x5 for a SPG stay ?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Anyone knows what to do when they gave 2x the points instead of x5 for a SPG stay ?
Call them. Sometimes the hotels aren't coded properly in the system. They will open a ticket, and the extra points should appear on your next statement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.