Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question approved!

Just completed an online application and was approved automatically! Nice.

What I don't get is why/how this offer is so much better than the AMEX Starwood Platinum card? It provides 15,000 SPG points and the same annual fee.

Why would any SPG member opt for the AMEX versus this card?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

What I don't get is why/how this offer is so much better than the AMEX Starwood Platinum card? It provides 15,000 SPG points and the same annual fee.

Or they just get both, or all of them
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

AmEx can generate referrals, and every dollar effectively earns 3x Marriott
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:27 am

Cancelled this card 6.5 months ago - i'd like to wait at least another month to be safe to reapply

Only thing is I am applying for an Amex and possibly CIBC Aventura today.....the other rule of thumb for Marriott Visa seems to be no other apps for 90 days. Does Amex Gold, CIBC and Marriott Visa pull from same bureau?

Last edited by thedude99; Mar 25, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by thedude99
Cancelled this card 6.5 months ago - i'd like to wait at least another month to be safe to reapply

Only thing is I am applying for an Amex and possibly CIBC Aventura today.....the other rule of thumb for Marriott Visa seems to be no other apps for 90 days. Does Amex Gold, CIBC and Marriott Visa pull from same bureau?
14 x CIBC, all pulled Equifax
18x Amex, all pulled Transunion
8 x Chase, 7 Equifax, 1 Transunion.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eyeball1
I just completed some Starwood stays in Europe paid for with this card and they all posted with 2X points.
Some properties may be mis-coded.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
So what's the current consensus on this: Is it possible to get the free night deposited into one's Marriott account, and then cancel the card and get the AF refunded? In the past it seems like if the AF gets charged Chase wont refund it. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:05 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Preacher7
So what's the current consensus on this: Is it possible to get the free night deposited into one's Marriott account, and then cancel the card and get the AF refunded? In the past it seems like if the AF gets charged Chase wont refund it. Thanks for your help!
For all 3 cards we have in our family, we always cancel the few days after the annual fee posted and get the fee refund and still get the free night cert a few weeks after. I am on 4th card and will do the same this summer

You can search this threads for posted made by me to get my experience on this.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by alc
For all 3 cards we have in our family, we always cancel the few days after the annual fee posted and get the fee refund and still get the free night cert a few weeks after. I am on 4th card and will do the same this summer

You can search this threads for posted made by me to get my experience on this.
Thx so much for this!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
14 x CIBC, all pulled Equifax
18x Amex, all pulled Transunion
8 x Chase, 7 Equifax, 1 Transunion.
JJJ - this is an impressive list! I always wonder what the reps in the credit department are thinking when they see our long lists of pulls...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:29 am

I received 20k last week after completing my first spend and first statement generating. Anyone else have this happen? Did the remaining 30k show up automatically, or did you have to call? I had the card last year, and cancelled in December.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:29 am

Canadian Chase Marriott Visa - Bonus Points with Starwood?

I have the Canadian Chase Marriott Visa, which gives 5x points on charges at Marriott properties. Now that Marriott and Starwood have merged, does any know if Starwood properties give 5x points for charges on this card?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Per email received on 11/15/16:

EARN 5X POINTS

You'll earn 5x points at both Marriott Rewards® and SPG® participating hotels.

Announcing an exclusive new cardmember benefit: you can now earn Marriott Rewards® points across the new Marriott portfolio of 5,700 properties in 110 countries.

Beginning on 12/1, use your Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa Card at any participating hotel in the SPG program and you'll now earn 5 points per $1 – just like you do at participating Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards® hotels.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:25 pm

Thanks. Lazy me!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
In the past, I thought the T&C were that only "new" cardholders were eligible for the bonus points.

Is that language in these terms anywhere?
I just want to avoid applying, getting the card, and being denied points.

My last card was cancelled in February, but I may try again anyway... I fear this card may soon be discontinued.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.