Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I don't know............this seems too good to be true.

My 2017 anniversary date was November 11th. So I paid my $120 AF, got my free night cert, and my 15 days.

So - post March 15th, they're going to give me an ~$80 pro-rated refund, ANOTHER free night cert, and ANOTHER 15 days for 2018? Hmmmm.....

Something tells me I'll have to scratch and crawl to get all that....they're not just going to dish it out on a silver platter...
You're telling me. I opened this card in Jan 2017. First year free (and now waived for 2018), so I got 50K points, and a free night cert (potentially 2) for $0? Nice.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:26 pm

I called chase and the first agent said that they transferred the points as usual on the 11th and it must be the Marriott rewards that have problems. After several more calls to both ends, finally the rep said there is an issue with the transfer process and to be patient. It will all work out. As far as I know it might have been the same agent recognizing my voice in order and to pacify my concern stated the obvious.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:48 pm

The Amex signup page is now up. 120$ annual fee is enforced and 50$ for Supp. card applicants. The rest is as advertised previously on this thread.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by thatsthatmattressman
The Amex signup page is now up. 120$ annual fee is enforced and 50$ for Supp. card applicants. The rest is as advertised previously on this thread.
Thanks for reporting that.

(Link:
https://www.americanexpress.ca/spgrewards
)

Is there a good reason for a Marriott Visa cardholder to sign up for this offer, versus the standard referral offer for SPG Amex or SPG Business Amex?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AC50K, Bonvoy LT/Plat
I don't know............this seems too good to be true.

My 2017 anniversary date was November 11th. So I paid my $120 AF, got my free night cert, and my 15 days.

So - post March 15th, they're going to give me an ~$80 pro-rated refund, ANOTHER free night cert, and ANOTHER 15 days for 2018? Hmmmm.....

Something tells me I'll have to scratch and crawl to get all that....they're not just going to dish it out on a silver platter...
----

I paid my fee in December and got my letter yesterday, does look like we are getting the additional cert and the pro-rated fee back. I read this in a rush, I didn't see that we were getting the 15 days, would be nice. I'll have trouble reaching Plat this year without the night credits.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
" Offer for new Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Cardmembers only. "

If you are applying for this and have been a previous SPG customer, please report back if you get the bonus points or not.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
any other options for the 15 elite night credits

The annual 15 elite night credits through the Marriott Visa card was most helpful in maintaining my platinum status. My renewal date is Oct. and I did get 15 nights last year. Any idea if I will get 15 nights again when the CC is closed in March?
Also, any one found any other CC which might offer elite night credits!!
I guess another option would be hold a meeting under 'rewarding events' to get 10-20 nights but there are no reasonable options for this in my home town of Ottawa, Canada.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Retired FF
Any idea if I will get 15 nights again when the CC is closed in March?
Also, any one found any other CC which might offer elite night credits!!
From what I've been reading you'll be getting both the 15 nights this year and the anniversary certificate.
Only credit card with night credits for Marriott going forward is probably the US version. Unless they release a new card in Canada, we're out of luck.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by viracocha
From what I've been reading you'll be getting both the 15 nights this year and the anniversary certificate.
Only credit card with night credits for Marriott going forward is probably the US version. Unless they release a new card in Canada, we're out of luck.
Hope you are right, that would be great. Will keep fingers crossed.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: JGC
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...cpid=100162466

So... I guess there is nothing for those who already have an SPG AMEX...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:54 am

It appears that the Amex SPG card will have the FX conversion fee. This will be a feature that I shall miss on the old JPMC Canadian Marriott Visa.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by mitsou_jpn
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...cpid=100162466

So... I guess there is nothing for those who already have an SPG AMEX...
Same. Nothing for me either. Not happy but what can you do.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Amex Canada will be coming out with a new Marriott Rewards card (once the programs merge) and the SPG Amex will also go away.

In the US both Chase and Amex will issue the new cards.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Amex Canada will be coming out with a new Marriott Rewards card (once the programs merge) and the SPG Amex will also go away.

In the US both Chase and Amex will issue the new cards.
When are the programs going to merge? Isn't that likely a few years out?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:36 pm

When are the programs going to merge? Isn't that likely a few years out?
The new credit cards will be introduced this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.