Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by yerffej201
BUMP: Anyone have any experience with applying with link earlier in the thread from the email and 50k points?
I already had the Marriott Visa card and applied for the new one because of the perks added. I also have plat status. I requested the 50,000 points for my new application though their position was that they were only giving 30,000 MR points. My position was that they were not clear because some people indicated that they were receiving the extra 20,000 points. After some back and forth on this, they said that there was no promo code for 50K points. They agreed to give the extra points. I received the card about a month ago. Did a few weeks worth of spending. A few weeks later, 30K points showed up with an additional 20K bonus points. Don't know whether this had anything to do with my status or the fact that I already had the Marriott Visa card for several years. Have to say.... I'm happy with the ending!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Safti
I already had the Marriott Visa card and applied for the new one because of the perks added. I also have plat status. I requested the 50,000 points for my new application though their position was that they were only giving 30,000 MR points. My position was that they were not clear because some people indicated that they were receiving the extra 20,000 points. After some back and forth on this, they said that there was no promo code for 50K points. They agreed to give the extra points. I received the card about a month ago. Did a few weeks worth of spending. A few weeks later, 30K points showed up with an additional 20K bonus points. Don't know whether this had anything to do with my status or the fact that I already had the Marriott Visa card for several years. Have to say.... I'm happy with the ending!
I also had the old Marriott Visa card and applied and received the new card about a month ago. I noticed that I had not received the 'free night' cert. which was part of the offer after approval of the new card. I called yesterday only to find out that since I had an old card, my application was considered to be an 'upgrade' so I will only get a free night on the anniversary of my original card which was August.
Did you experience the same thing ?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Retired FF
I also had the old Marriott Visa card and applied and received the new card about a month ago. I noticed that I had not received the 'free night' cert. which was part of the offer after approval of the new card. I called yesterday only to find out that since I had an old card, my application was considered to be an 'upgrade' so I will only get a free night on the anniversary of my original card which was August.
No, I received the free night but it was a cat 1-4. Next year and every year thereafter will be a cat 1-5.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by Retired FF
I called in to find out why the free Cat 4 night has not posted to my account. Sure enough this was the explanation I received. I had a Marriott Visa card in the past however I cancelled it over 2 years ago. So even if you had a card previously over 2 years ago they will not give you the free Cat 4 night.

I also didn't receive the extra 20K on top of the 30K points. I wonder if it's worth calling in and trying to get that instead.

It seems like so much frustration every time I have to deal with Marriott, perhaps it's time to consider moving on to one of the other major hotel chains.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
I called in to find out why the free Cat 4 night has not posted to my account. Sure enough this was the explanation I received. I had a Marriott Visa card in the past however I cancelled it over 2 years ago. So even if you had a card previously over 2 years ago they will not give you the free Cat 4 night.

I also didn't receive the extra 20K on top of the 30K points. I wonder if it's worth calling in and trying to get that instead.

It seems like so much frustration every time I have to deal with Marriott, perhaps it's time to consider moving on to one of the other major hotel chains.
I wouldn't call Marriott. I would call Chase. I was on the phone with them for quite some time explaining that there was some discrepancy over the number of points available for signing up for the card. After much discussion, they finally agreed to give the extra 20K points. It took a month to post but finally did. Why don't you try?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by Safti
I wouldn't call Marriott. I would call Chase. I was on the phone with them for quite some time explaining that there was some discrepancy over the number of points available for signing up for the card. After much discussion, they finally agreed to give the extra 20K points. It took a month to post but finally did. Why don't you try?
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually called Chase shortly after you posted that and they indicated they were aware of the problem and had a team looking into it. Someone from that team was supposed to call me back and nobody did.

I followed up again and they were pretty quick to want to transfer me to Marriott rewards. I had to explain how I called in last week and was expecting a follow-up from them and not Marriott.

The agent at Chase really didn't know what was going on and was confused about the free Cat 4 night and the points thinking they were the same thing. They had me on hold a few times and ended suggesting that something should be done about this but it could take 8-10 weeks to post.

Last edited by turbov6; Oct 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually called Chase shortly after you posted that and they indicated they were aware of the problem and had a team looking into it. Someone from that team was supposed to call me back and nobody did.

I followed up again and they were pretty quick to want to transfer me to Marriott rewards. I had to explain how I called in last week and was expecting a follow-up from them and not Marriott.

The agent at Chase really didn't know what was going on and was confused about the free Cat 4 night and the points thinking they were the same thing. They had me on hold a few times and ended suggesting that something should be done about this but it could take 8-10 weeks to post.
Call Chase back again and ask to be transferred to a supervisor. Don't let them off the hook. Let them know how much time and energy you have wasted on this and request the 20K points. Don't let them off the phone until they promise you the points. It may take 4 weeks to post and you may have to follow up on this.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:19 pm
alc

Finally got my offical mail offer

so, finally got my offical mail offer.... thought to post the last paragraph in my letter:

To request your card, visit MarriottRewards.com/cdnelitedm, mail in your application, fax your application to 1-800-851-9961 or call 1-888-530-2938 using your Promotion Code X2FF.
(All the bold words are bolded in the letter)

When I visit the website, it state the 50K offer and the form that link to is just a blank form. The Promo Code "X2FF" is populated automatically for me already.

Since the URL is so generate, I do not think this is a targetted URL like the AMEX mail offer. For those that still waiting for your offer, this might be something you want want to try. In my case, I do have the physical letter which I will be keeping in case I do not get my 50K bonus.

Goodluck.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
This is great!

Thanks for the post. I also see exactly what you are indicating.

Originally Posted by alc
so, finally got my offical mail offer.... thought to post the last paragraph in my letter:

When I visit the website, it state the 50K offer and the form that link to is just a blank form. The Promo Code "X2FF" is populated automatically for me already.

Since the URL is so generate, I do not think this is a targetted URL like the AMEX mail offer. For those that still waiting for your offer, this might be something you want want to try. In my case, I do have the physical letter which I will be keeping in case I do not get my 50K bonus.

Goodluck.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by alc

Goodluck.

Did anyone tried it? To apply without the letter and get the 50k points?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:17 am

Just a heads up on my timeline with this card:

I applied for the card around Aug 31st, received/activated it Sept 11, made the first purchase that day, received the targeted email for the 50k points and after 3 phone calls was assured that they would be credited to my account. Statement closed yesterday and still haven't received the 30k, nevermind the extra 20k. I've heard from someone else that received their points almost immediately.

My husband used my targeted email link to apply and received/activated the card yesterday, so at this rate I'm assuming we might see those points by Christmas?

I know the fine print says 8-10 weeks from first purchase; but the inconsistency with this new card is a bit frustrating.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:23 am

Found a link with 50k points:
https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by superpico
It's the same link posted here really
and seems like it went to RFD as well now, hopefully that doesn't kill it
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:38 pm

Anyone have a currently working 50K link? I wish I had jumped on this.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:41 pm

I rec'd, applied and now have the card based on the 30,000 pt offer but subsequently have rec'd the 50,000 offer. No pts actually rec'd. Amazing how quickly the free night posted.
Extra 20,000 pts is worth about $100 and I never have a problem with something for nothing.
Is it worth my time to chase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.