Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:55 am

Question

Regarding churnability,

I understand many FTs were successful in churning this card, however, did they had these T&C in the footnotes at that time, or is it new? :

Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer. If your account is not kept open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account.
This one-time annual fee waiver is only valid for first-time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers who apply through this offer. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this annual fee waiver.
Only one Card Account per Rewards member (Rewards member must be the primary cardmember on that account) is eligible for the 15 Elite Credits award.
Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
Regarding churnability,

I understand many FTs were successful in churning this card, however, did they had these T&C in the footnotes at that time, or is it new? :

Thanks
I think it's always been there, but still people had luck (good news) although free night may not be there again nor the 15-night credit (I personally don't care about this one)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think it's always been there, but still people had luck (good news) although free night may not be there again nor the 15-night credit (I personally don't care about this one)
Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:47 am

How long does it take to get the card after application?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Hmmm just checked my Marriott account and I am now showing Gold Status...

I definitely didn't have enough stays, I was Silver Elite from the Chase Card.

How can you tell when your status ends? Is it just until Dec 31?

Also, received my anniversary 1 nt stay certificate, but I recently cancelled my Chase Visa Card.... I assume this e-cert will be removed???
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:55 am

Marriott status ends last weekend of Feb (not always Feb 28)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
Hmmm just checked my Marriott account and I am now showing Gold Status...

I definitely didn't have enough stays, I was Silver Elite from the Chase Card.

How can you tell when your status ends? Is it just until Dec 31?

Also, received my anniversary 1 nt stay certificate, but I recently cancelled my Chase Visa Card.... I assume this e-cert will be removed???
Interesting...perhaps you completed a Gold challenge you weren't even aware of? They don't usually go giving out Gold for no reason...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by pokee
Interesting...perhaps you completed a Gold challenge you weren't even aware of? They don't usually go giving out Gold for no reason...
I have received gold status too. I don't remember registering for any challenge and I only stayed two nights in Marriott this year and those are on points.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:07 pm

still SILVER status here, ha, boo
not that I really stay at Marriott nowadays
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Figured out how I got Gold Status. It has to do with the merger of Delta Hotels and Marriott, apparently I had some sort of Delta Status that enabled me to get Gold with Marriott:

"We have combined your records earned with both programs to give you an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through February 2017.

If you are an Aeroplan® Member, you will receive 500 Aeroplan® Miles per stay at Delta Hotels and Resorts from June 18, 2015 until the brand’s full integration into the Marriott Rewards program in 2016. To earn, you will need to provide your Aeroplan® Number at the front desk.

If you have any earned hotel credit or room upgrades at Delta Hotels and Resorts, you have until February 28, 2016 to use them."
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:33 pm

Anyone have any luck finding a Canadian Corporate Marriott Rewards Card? Seems its only US based. If thats the case any suggestions on how to get a US credit rating which would then allow access to the US card with a US address.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:59 am

Hi All - I have called Chase Canada 6 times and got 5 answers. I want to know when I will be charged my annual fee for my card. The only consistent answer I got is my anniversary date is September 8. That seems very consistent.

However when I call - this is what they tell me about the annual fee each time.

1) I will be charged the annual fee on September 8, 2015.
2) I will be charged the annual fee on August 11, 2015.
3) I will be charged the annual fee on September 11, 2015.
4) I will be charged the annual fee on October 8, 2015.
5) I will be charged the annual fee on August 8, 2015.

Does anyone have any REAL experience with what is correct here? The only one that seems logical to me is either 1 or 3 - some agents swear by 2.

Can't get any consistency - so looking to anyone who has kept the card to tell me. I want to cancel right before the annual fee is charged by Chase Canada.

Thanks a bunch !

Last edited by Trivial; Jun 14, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by golfer727272
Anyone have any luck finding a Canadian Corporate Marriott Rewards Card? Seems its only US based. If thats the case any suggestions on how to get a US credit rating which would then allow access to the US card with a US address.
A friend of mine just figured this out. What they did is go to TD Canada Trust and open 2 accounts. 1 account is in US$ and with TD Canada Trust. The other account is in US$ and is with TD Bank in the USA.

You can open both of these accounts through a TD Canada Trust branch.

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc.../usaccount.jsp

http://www.tdbank.com/personal/Check...TD+Convenience

The first account is done right by the branch in Canada. It is opened and done immediately.

The second one is done over the phone with you sitting at the branch in Canada and you talking to a TD Bank employee over the phone. The advantage is that your identification is certified by the TD Canada Trust employee and saves you hassles later. You can do the second one online or at your house over the phone, but it is way easier to do it over the phone once the TD Canada Trust employee guarantees your identity.

Now you have 2 accounts, one in each country.

You can then transfer money in US$ for free between the accounts.

That part is the lengthy part.

You can then also apply for this in US$ :

http://www.tdbank.com/personal/credit-cards.html

These are real US$ credit cards from a USA bank, not a Canadian bank.

This will allow you to establish a US credit rating.

Anyhow - my friend is at the point where he got the TD Bank Credit Card and will use it for a few months to build up credit.

Good luck !
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Trivial
You can then also apply for this in US$ :

http://www.tdbank.com/personal/credit-cards.html

These are real US$ credit cards from a USA bank, not a Canadian bank.

This will allow you to establish a US credit rating.

Anyhow - my friend is at the point where he got the TD Bank Credit Card and will use it for a few months to build up credit.

Good luck !
What about this on applications....
*Social Security Number
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
What about this on applications....
*Social Security Number
You need to ensure when you click "Apply Now" - you click Canadian resident.

Then you will get a manual form to fill in or you can just go here:

http://www.tdbank.com/exc/pdf/aeropl...pplication.pdf

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.