Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Jono
It worked for me.

I previously had the SPG Amex but cancelled it in Feb 2017 when I got the Marriott Visa. I reapplied for the Amex back in January as soon as they announced the 25K sign up bonus, and received the full 25K points last month.
I cancelled my SPG AMEX in Feb 2018. so if I reapply, they probably would just re-open my recently cancelled card, and I may not get the 25K sign up bonus
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pokee
Anyone applied for the SPG Amex for the 25K sign up bonus? I was waiting to hear back if anyone was successful that had held that card before (and recently)...

I was thinking of it, but may just wait longer and just get the same amount of points with a 5K family referral, and the 20K bonus...
Yes, me. I had the SPG Amex and canceled it in early 2017. Applied again in Jan. via the Marriott link, met the spend and got the 25k bonus on my March statement.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
It's here.

My bonus annual night arrived and the bonus 15 nights also arrived today. My parents account did not get anything yet.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Apr 7, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
My bonus annual night arrived and the bonus 15 nights also arrived today. My parents account did get anything yet.
Is your anniversary in April?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've been churning this card for past couple of years, I don't recall this last time.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
People can go to the Home Trust visa
I applied for the Home Trust Visa back in January and finally received it in March. For those contemplating it to avoid the annual fee with other no-forex cards, be aware that this is a rinky-dink card. Home Trust has outsourced all of its customer service to a third party, and the service is awful. You cannot change the pre-assigned PIN (despite what the first representative told me after a half-hour wait on hold to get through), but I was told that this "feature" may be available sometime in the next year. Their online website keeps kicking me out when I try to opt for paperless statements, and the wait to call and speak to customer service has been between 30-60 minutes in the three times I have tried. I have applied now for the new Scotia Visa with no forex fee and will be cancelling the Home Trust Visa (if I ever manage to get through to customer service!).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Jono
I applied for the Home Trust Visa back in January and finally received it in March. For those contemplating it to avoid the annual fee with other no-forex cards, be aware that this is a rinky-dink card. Home Trust has outsourced all of its customer service to a third party, and the service is awful. You cannot change the pre-assigned PIN (despite what the first representative told me after a half-hour wait on hold to get through), but I was told that this "feature" may be available sometime in the next year. Their online website keeps kicking me out when I try to opt for paperless statements, and the wait to call and speak to customer service has been between 30-60 minutes in the three times I have tried. I have applied now for the new Scotia Visa with no forex fee and will be cancelling the Home Trust Visa (if I ever manage to get through to customer service!).
I applied for the Home Trust Visa in late January. Got an email confirmation February 5 that I'd hear back in 3-4 weeks.
Not much point in following up with them at this point... I'll either get the card or I won't.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
My bonus annual night arrived and the bonus 15 nights also arrived today. My parents account did not get anything yet.
Anyone else get the bonus free night yet? I could use it in May so hoping it arrives soon.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:43 am

The loss of this card is even more sad now that the new merged Marriott SPG announcement has been made (since SPG card earning is now devalued).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
The loss of this card is even more sad now that the new merged Marriott SPG announcement has been made (since SPG card earning is now devalued).
How so ?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Earning 1 SPG point per dollar is equivalent to 3 Marriott points (per dollar) if converted today or once Marriott does mass-migration in August.
Tomorow, SPG card will earn 2 points per dollar in the combined program, resulting in 2 "Marriott" points going forward (as opposed to 3).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by Finkface
Anyone else get the bonus free night yet? I could use it in May so hoping it arrives soon.
Still waiting here for the free night and 15 night stay credit towards status. Chase Marriott points were posting on the 18th. Maybe tomorrow?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
How so ?
What Lazarev said....

In addition, no more 5K referral bonuses, or 20K sign-up bonuses! Stupid statement credits instead...

Apply for your SPG Amex with the Marriott referral link if you were holding off - only one day left!!!

https://canadiankilometers.boardinga...s-last-chance/

Last edited by pokee; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lazarev
Earning 1 SPG point per dollar is equivalent to 3 Marriott points (per dollar) if converted today or once Marriott does mass-migration in August.
Tomorow, SPG card will earn 2 points per dollar in the combined program, resulting in 2 "Marriott" points going forward (as opposed to 3).
Well, we don't know yet what will be the earning ration of the Canadian Amex in the new Starriott program. Granted, we could suspect that it's going to be reduced from 3 "marriott" points to 2 like the US one. In which case, I am not sure I will keep the card without any new benefit and/or free forex. Also it remains to be seen what is going to be the earning ratio at Marriott hotels and for F&B and/or travel expense...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Well, we don't know yet what will be the earning ration of the Canadian Amex in the new Starriott program. Granted, we could suspect that it's going to be reduced from 3 "marriott" points to 2 like the US one. In which case, I am not sure I will keep the card without any new benefit and/or free forex. Also it remains to be seen what is going to be the earning ratio at Marriott hotels and for F&B and/or travel expense...
It already has been reduced for new applicants, so I would assume that will be the same for all other SPG Amex cardholders as of August 1st.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.