Rewarding for Stays vs. Nights

Old Jun 5, 01, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rewarding for Stays vs. Nights

I am a member for both Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred. It seems to me Starwood's promotions tend to be better for those of us who tend to have fewer long term stays (i.e. based on nights instead of stays). Marriott's promotions seems to be mostly stay focused.

Is anyone else feeling the same way? Does this show the different strategies of the chains? Any way around these rules for the Marriott (other than checking out, going somewhere for a night and checking back in)?

Thanks,

Steven

Old Jun 6, 01, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, US Air Silver
It is a strategy that doesn't make sense. I am platinum, but recently have been picking up big chunks of hilton honors points with their 50,000 points for 4 stay promotions. I definitely need more marriott nights to satisfy 2001 requirement for platinum (currently about 30). However being driven by points, I will break up a potential 4 night marriott stay into two stays, costing marriott at least one nights stay so that I can work on the 5,000 pt for each 3 stay promotion. It really doesn't make sense to drive your loyal customers "next door"
Old Jun 6, 01, 2:26 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I agree - I am Marriott PLT and really think their prmos. suck this year - especially when compared to Hilton.

Example: From the 2 Hilton 50K promos. last fall and the current one, I have earned 100K bonus points, enough for 6 free nights in Hawaii.

Not to mention the more important part, one can actually find rooms available when requested. I only gave like 3 weeks notice and got the dates I wanted.

Just try and do that at Marriott.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: