Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. £80 charge for third adult and £40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:56 pm

London Marriott County Hall

I've made an award reservation at LMCH for five nights this July in a "Big Ben View, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Big Ben view." It has a 80 pound fee/night, in addition to the 45K points/night (1 free night). It would be for my wife and I and my two kids. I have Marriott Gold status.

I also have a ressie for five nights at St. Erwin for 20K fewer miles (85 pound fee/night) although the schedule isn't as favorable. The sq. footage is larger for this room supposedly than the St. Erwin, unless I get get into a family room over there somehow.

Anyway, I figured my kids would get a kick out of seeing Big Ben. I wonder how many exec level big ben view rooms have two doubles? And will renovations be done by July? Also, can we bring food from the lounge back to the room? Welcome any thoughts here.

Last edited by Opie100; Mar 15, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:02 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
If anyone is reading this, should I request an upgrade in advance or take my chances onsite? Plat premier with a sat-Tuesday reservation looking for a Thames view and good room.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't think it could hurt to ask now AND to ask again at check-in. If you have a special situation (i.e. anniversary, special occasion, etc.) I would normally call MR to get the GM's email. And then send the GM a letter a couple of weeks before the trip, letting them know the special occasion, that you know upgrades aren't guaranteed, but any extra considerations would be greatly appreciated. And buttering them up by saying how many great things you have heard about the property, etc. Note that for bigger resort properties (i.e. just like County Hall), usually the GM will hand off the request to someone else and you will work with them on getting your request.

Note that I will usually even tell the GM exactly when I am planning on arriving (assuming I know.) I've had a few times where the GM actually made an effort to be there to greet me when I arrived.

And one final point which I'm sure you already know, when I really want an upgraded room, instead of playing the complementary upgrade game, I will normally directly reserve the room (for points or upgrade certs) that I want. Or if what I want isn't listed in the email I send, I will ask about paid (cash or points) upgrade options. Once in a while the GM (or the GM designate) will offer the upgrade as complementary. More often though they will work with me on the options to help get me into the room I really want.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Personally, unless you sit in your room and stare at Big Ben and the Ey, the upgrade, points/money is not worth it at County Hall. Step outside courtyard near the bar with chairs and stare all night long for free. The windows are high up from room floor and my kids had to sit up on the ledge to even see it. Save the money and see the sights and eat great Indian food imo.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'd also add that as a plat and a PP, I've always got an upgrade to a river view (which basically means that you see Big Ben / The London Eye). Bear in mind that half the rooms have a river view, so you're really unlucky if you don't get one.

T
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'd also add that as a plat and a PP, I've always got an upgrade to a river view (which basically means that you see Big Ben / The London Eye). Bear in mind that half the rooms have a river view, so you're really unlucky if you don't get one.

T
Old May 5, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
If anyone is interested, here are the paid upgrade rates per night if you wish to confirm a better room before checking in. I had inquired to the hotel and this is the quote they provided.

River View: 50£
Double Double room: 60£
Big Ben View: 80£
Big Ben Executive Room: 120£
Junior Suite: 300£
Balcony Suite: 500£
Executive Suite: 1200£
Presidential Suite:2500£
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Great stay at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Marriott London County Hall

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

London County Hall Westminster Bridge Road London, GB SE1 7PB

Great stay at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall (0 Photo)

Check In

The entry and lobby areas have been undergoing refurbishment, so there was a lot of scafolding about, but the front desk staff was very prompt and friendly. They got me checked in, had a room already ready for me relatively early in the morning (~11:00am -- I had requested noon through the mobile app), and even walked me to the elevator. 

Room

As a Platinum, I was given an upgrade to a river view room with a nice view of the Thames and Parliament, and a very up-close view of the London Eye. In fact, the Eye was so close that the pods were going right by my room. Despite the great view, I kept my blinds closed much of the time so I didn't feel like people were looking in my window. 

However, I truly loved the room -- especially the bed, which was one of the most comfortable I've slept in at a hotel. It was almost too comfortable, as I wanted to climb into bed and not leave. The room looked recently renovated, and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the look. It was a nice blend of modern colors and traditional styles, unlike (IMHO) many of Marriott's other attempts at modern design. The bathroom was great too, with plenty of room. 

In the past, I've avoided this hotel because I've walked by a number of times and the area is always swarming with tourists. However, for someone looking to do tourist-things it London, it's really hard to beat the location. Westminster, Parliament, the London Eye and the Southbank Center are all at your doorstep, and the West End and Soho are a reasonable walk across the Thames on a pedestrian bridge to Embankment. In retrospect, I now wish I had stayed here before on other trips. 

Overall

While this was my first stay at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall, I think it will now be my first choice when visiting London on my own. When staying with family, I might be more inclined to stay at the Grosvenor House so I could make use of their outstanding lounge. However, when I'm there solo and I want to spend most of my time out and about in the city, it's going to be hard to beat the convenient access to so many things. 

Great stay at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Would you like to write a review on the Marriott London County Hall?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies earlier, especially hhoope01. What was the date of the stay for the above review?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
That stay at County Hall was May 20-22, 2016.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by toothy

T
I was unlucky as a PP to receive a no view room during the summer 2015. So it really depends on how many rooms/floors are being renovated and how many people paid for the river view upgrades.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Slightly off-topic, but can someone point me in the direction of the best transportation option to get from Heathrow to the hotel if I am considering a car service? Family of four with a number of luggage pieces, so just think I am willing to pay a little more for the convenience vs. taking the Express.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Slightly off-topic, but can someone point me in the direction of the best transportation option to get from Heathrow to the hotel if I am considering a car service? Family of four with a number of luggage pieces, so just think I am willing to pay a little more for the convenience vs. taking the Express.
There's a thread in the UK & Ireland forum that I think has a list of car services FTer use. You might want to check there. Also agree that once you're into 4 people w/ luggage, a car service makes sense.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
quick question. For 3 people, is the best option at this hotel: 2 doubles or 1 king and a rollaway?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by njxbean
quick question. For 3 people, is the best option at this hotel: 2 doubles or 1 king and a rollaway?
Depends on who the third is. If it's a kid, rollaway is fine. If it's an adult, I'd go w/ two doubles. Of course the rollaway is an extra £35 per night (), so I'd probably go with the double double regardless. The charges for rollaways at Marriott properties in the UK are extortionate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.