Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can a MR Plat member uggrade a family member?

Old Jul 16, 12, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Platinum, HH-Diamond, MileagePlus 1K, AAdvantage Gold

My cousin is getting married and him and his soon-to-be wife are going to be in Hawaii at a Marriott resort for their honeymoon. It is a revenue stay that they are going to be on, I was wondering, is it possible for me to upgrade them ?

I was thinking of either using points for an upgrade, or (major stretch I am sure) finding some way to have the hotel apply my status to him, increasing his chances.

Please let me know if anyone has any experience doing this.

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Krischey View Post
My cousin is getting married and him and his soon-to-be wife are going to be in Hawaii at a Marriott resort for their honeymoon. It is a revenue stay that they are going to be on, I was wondering, is it possible for me to upgrade them ?

I was thinking of either using points for an upgrade, or (major stretch I am sure) finding some way to have the hotel apply my status to him, increasing his chances.

Thanks
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ly-friend.html for similar discussion.

Status should not be conferred however, a call to the Plat Desk may provide some options for paying for an upgraded room with points maybe. If they have not already paid for the room (TA or pre-paid charged) your credit should appear on their bill.

Also a call to the property letting them know it's a honeymoon trip may get them some nice property perks.
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:41 pm
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
If you stay in the room with the newlywed couple they are entitled to an upgrade. Would they be okay with that?

Seriously, you could call the plat desk and ask them to put a note in the reservation that it's a honeymoon couple. But they aren't likely to attach your MR number when you won't be with them.

I wouldn't worry about upgrades in Hawaii. They aren't that important because the properties are resorts and don't offer a complimentary breakfast or concierge lounge. Also, there are so many honeymooners in Hawaii that they get tons of requests for an upgraded room.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:36 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Also a call to the property letting them know it's a honeymoon trip may get them some nice property perks.
LOL In Hawaii, a honeymoon couple being special? You've got to be kidding. What about the other 53 honeymoon couples in the hotel.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
LOL In Hawaii, a honeymoon couple being special? You've got to be kidding. What about the other 53 honeymoon couples in the hotel.
Yes... I guess that's like finding a needle in a sewing kit!

But, then again if everyone thinks the same way, it could be unique. Learned long ago, if you don't ask, you don't get.
Old Jul 17, 12, 1:05 am

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP

You CANNOT use points to upgrade a PAID room. Points can only upgrade Point reservations. 5,000 points per night per room catagory upgrade.

Example, A catagory 6 property will offer City View catagory room for 30,000 points per night. If the next catagory room is Partial Ocean View, then each night would be 35,000 points. Next catagory may be Ocean View and would be 40,000 points per night, and so on to best rooms.
Old Jul 17, 12, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Yes... I guess that's like finding a needle in a sewing kit!

But, then again if everyone thinks the same way, it could be unique. Learned long ago, if you don't ask, you don't get.
LOL!

My wife and I honeymooned in Florence IT and Venice IT during the offseason (April) with SPG Plat status. We had fantastic upgrades. Not nearly as many honeymooners in Florence and Venice. I'd highly recommend Florence for a honeymoon. Venice is OK but we didn't like the city nearly as much as Florence.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta DM/MM, Marriott Gold

Thanks
What about a test of gold or taste of platinum?
Old Jul 17, 12, 9:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Learned long ago, if you don't ask, you don't get.
I definitely agree with with this. It can't hurt to ask. They may or may not provide an upgrade or anything else, so don't get mad. If the upgrade is important enough to get mad over, then guarantee it with a cash reservation. If its a "nice to have", then, play the game: ask and see what happens.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum
Agree that it doesn't hurt to ask. When my daughter got married I setup a week in NYC for their honeymoon. It was an award stay and the hotel upgraded them, sent chocolates and strawberries to the room and treated them like royalty.

Bruce
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wvactions View Post
You CANNOT use points to upgrade a PAID room. Points can only upgrade Point reservations. 5,000 points per night per room catagory upgrade.
True, you may not be able to upgrade a paid stay, but they sure can REPLACE a paid stay with a point stay. Calling MR or the property and ask to pay for their stay using points and ask for the room type desired. I'm sure the couple would like the surprise if the bill is only for incidentals.
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by spamkiller View Post
What about a test of gold or taste of platinum?
This is a possible alternative.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: