Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2001, 3:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott

Wife and a friend are taking a girls-only trip to San Diego. She is thinking about staying at the Residence Inn Carmel Mountain Ranch. The Marriot Marina is booked so this was her second choice. Anyone know anything about it, is it nice?
Old Mar 25, 2001, 4:44 pm
GG

rthib,

It's OK. Nothing special. Let me ask, does your wife or her friend know SD, or have a particular reason to be in that location? There's nothing wrong with it, mind you, but most of the things tourists want to see are pretty far away. It's at least a 20-25 minute drive from downtown up to Carmel Mt. Ranch, and longer and more nerve-wracking in rush hour.

We've stayed at almost all the Marriott properties in the SD area except, funnily enough, the Marriott Marina. But as it's not an option, I guess that's irrelevant anyway. I can probably tell you more than you and your wife want to know on the subject, so let me know if you have more questions. I'll try to keep it brief.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:34 am

rthib,

The Marina property recently finished renovating their lobby. Don't know if it extended to the guest rooms also. Great location, however!

How about the Marriott Resort on Coronado Island? It is quite nice, in a great location along the Bay with views of Downtown SD. There is also water taxi service from the resort over to the Marriott Marina property, directly across the Bay. Convenient if you're just going into the Gaslamp. Don't know the hours it operates, however.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:57 am
GG

It stops running at 17:00. Maybe later in the summer. The issue may be safety, ie, it's such a tiny boat, it's dangerous to run in the dark, but that's just speculation.

You can return later on a regular ferry, which leaves from the terminal at the end of Broadway, until 21:00 or 21:30. That's a number of blocks from the Marriott Marina, but the ferry terminal on Coronado is fairly close to the Coronado Marriott.

The Coronado Resort is a very nice hotel, one of my favorites.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 10:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Both Marina and Island are not available, so I am looking for suggestions. Trip is purly leasure for them with no-kids (They are leaving them with me). A nice pool to lounge by is pretty important and they will have a car.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
How about the Mission Valley MC ?

Good central location, conveinent to downtown and Balboa Park, near Jack Murphy Stadium (refuse to call it Q...) and very close to Fashion Valley shopping .....
Old Mar 26, 2001, 11:18 am

Also just stayed in the San Diego Mission Valley Marriott. Location was excellent to everything in San Diego. Hotel was very nice. Pool was average. There is a trolley stop right there to take you into town, very close and convenient. Staff pleasant.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 11:47 am

I would also consider the La Jolla Marriott. Just a block from University Towne Center and one of the best shopping malls in the county! Great restaurants within walking distance, as well.

There is absolutely no way I would stay in Carmel Mountain Ranch. The worst traffic in San Diego and some of the worst in the state is right at your doorstep. Also, as a previous poster stated, you are a longer drive away from everything.

The La Jolla Marriott is easy to get to...just between the I-5 and the I-805 at the La Jolla Village Drive exit. The hotel is on La Jolla Village drive and you will not miss the high rise.

The hotel is very close to the village of La Jolla, the beaches, great restaurants and shopping. Also, it is close to the tourist attractions of San Diego in the Balboa Park and downtown area.

I have been in Ohio on business for the past four years but I am a native San Diegan. If you would like any suggestions of any restaurants or attractions in America's Finest City, please drop me an email.

I hope you have a great time in San Diego.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I've stayed there probably over 200 plus nights total in the past three years and love the place. Yes it helps that our office is 1.5 miles right up the road. The people are more than friendly they are great, they have a good happy hour, easy access to the fwy and downtown. Its about 15 miles or 20 minutes to the seaport. Unless you are going with commuter traffic in the a.m. They have a deal with powerhouse gym 2 miles down the street and its free. Just show your room key.

By all means I think its a great place to stay

Old Mar 26, 2001, 2:03 pm
GG

We usually just go for the best rate.

La Jolla is a bit fancier, perhaps. The Mission Valley Marriott is very near a Trolley stop, so it's easy to get downtown without worrying about driving & parking - this could be a plus. They now charge for parking (as does La Jolla) but we've parked for free in the office building lot right behind the hotel. I'd check the signs just in case, though; it's been a few months since we've been there.

There's also Marriott Suites at Symphony Towers, downtown, which used to be a bargain. It seems to have been "discovered" though. And only indoor pool.

The Residence Inn at Sorrento Mesa isn't all that far from La Jolla either, but it's pretty average, and surrounded by nothing but office buildings.

I cannot recommend the downtown Courtyard.

BobLinderman, actually, the 15 isn't bad at least to Ted Williams - you get car pool lanes. Not driving during rush hour is probably good advice to visitors - but shoot, that's true in little old Lexington, too.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 3:24 pm

Have stayed at the Mission Valley Marriott twice in the last six months. The stay was enjoyable on both occasions. Convenient to the baseball/football stadium, Fashion Valley and Mission Valley Malls, Old Towne, and Downtown. Took the trolley all the way down to Tijuana, actually.

The trolley stop is about a two minute walk from the back entrance to the hotel, just across the street via a pedestrian bridge. Service about every :15 until like 2am.

The office building next door isn't the place to attempt parking for free any longer. Last time I stayed there, I was told by the front desk agent that the owners of that complex are cracking down on hotel guests and employees parking there.

However, let me give you a little tip. Park on the left side of the hotel, left of the front drive. Both times I've stayed there, I've parked on that side. By declining the daily hotel parking charge at check-in, I was able to park for free. I took the ticket as required to access the lot. But never was there an attendant at the exit booth on that side. The arm automatically lifts when you approach it. And out you go without paying. It has worked for me twice. Just a suggestion.

The Courtyard Downtown is pretty nice, actually. It is in a restored bank at the entrance to the Gaslamp. Spent something like $25M converting it. Had a friend who stayed there and liked it. All I saw was the lobby, which still has that bank look with teller windows, vault signs, etc.

AtlMan
Old Mar 26, 2001, 8:00 pm

I do not know if it is still the case, but in San Diego, the prices do come down throughout the weekend. Also, there are bargains in Mission Valley. The most expensive hotels are all downtown now. I agree with all of you regarding the Trolley and the Mission Valley Marriott. The Trolley is a fantastic way to avoid having to drive to many of the places you want to visit.

One of my favorite restaurants by the way is right by a Trolley stop...in Old Town.

If you love Shrimp Scampi, there is only one place to visit...Head over to Jack & Guilios in Old Town. A great Italian restaurant with the most incredible scampi in the world...and if you love it hot and spicy...go for the Fra Diavolo! Also, while you are at it, try their cheezy garlic bread (don't count the calories for this meal...you will thank me later for suggesting it)...The shrimps they give you are HUGE and butterflied and incredible!!! I have been going to this restaurant for years and years since they were on Thomas Street in Pacific Beach...about ten years ago they relocated to Old Town and all the locals still eat there.

Also, they take reservations.

If any of you out there has had their scampi, let me know what you think about it...same recipes for years.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
Best Marriott property in San Diego

Any feed back on the best Marriott property (all Marriott brands) in San Diego for a mini vacation would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I LOVE the Marriott at the Marina and Harbor near the seaport and gaslamp.. that is by far my favorite although I do really really enjoy the Mission Valley Marriott also an excellent property.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 4:07 pm

I have also stayed at the same 2 Marriott locations in San Diego as TrojanHorse, and I agree that both are nice properties.

If you are vacationing, I would think that the Marina location would better suit your needs. It is within walking distance of the best part of downtown San Diego and has a beautiful view. It is close to great restaurants and sights as well as excellent shopping. The trolley stop is nearby to get you to Old Town, Tijuana and other local attractions. If you want to go over to Coronado Island, the Marina location offers a boat ride to their Marriott property there.

The Marina location has more of a resort feel than the Mission Valley location. The Mission Valley Marriott is also on a trolley stop but it is much more remote as far as proximity to attractions and you might wish to rent a car if you plan to stay there.

I stayed at the Marriott Marina location in March on an award. I was hoping I might get upgraded (as a Platinum) to at least a Harbor view. I presented my Plat card at check in just for emphasis, and was given the keys to a gorgeous 1500+ square foot suite with amazing views and amenitities.

It was perfect !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.