Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Elite question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2000, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA
Marriott Elite question

If I go over the 50 nights in a rolling calender year in March 2001, does the GOLD status become effective then and last for 12 months or does it last until 12/31/02?

Any help is appreciated!
Old Sep 5, 2000, 12:10 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Under the present system your year begins when you achieve the elite status, and you have one year from that date to stay sufficient nights to renew the status.

However, I am under the impression Marriott is switching to a calendar system in 2001. It is my understanding that elite levels achieved prior to January 1, 2001, will not expire until January 1, 2002. I am not sure how they plan to deal with those who complete their required number of nights during the 2001 year, but I think the calendar year will be an improvement and easier to track.
Old Sep 5, 2000, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Phil:

Under the new calender system (I assume Jan 1 to Dec 31), what happnes when you reach an elite level at mid-year? Does the level you reached go into effect at that date, or do you have to wait until Jan 1 of the next year?

It seems if you acheived your level (say GOLD) by June 2001 (starting Jan 1, 2001). you would be GOLD for the balance of 2001 and all of 2002. Is this your understanding?
Old Sep 8, 2000, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

I just talked with a Marriott rep who said that on January 1, 2001, ALL ACCOUNTS are re-set to ZERO for nights stayed.

This is dismal news, as I had planned on a heavy Marriott schedule this fall in hopes of hitting the next Elite level. Now all those nights will go down the tubes and everyone must start over on Jan. 1st.

They should make some adjustment until the system fully goes into effect at the end of 2001. I may re-think my "all Marriott" schedule this fall.
Old Sep 8, 2000, 6:12 pm

Originally posted by snackyx:
I just talked with a Marriott rep who said that on January 1, 2001, ALL ACCOUNTS are re-set to ZERO for nights stayed.
This would make sense to me, BUT your status should carry over to the following year - i.e. you make Gold by Dec 31, 2000 you should be Gold through Dec 31, 2001.

There is no way they would take that status away and make you re-earn it from scratch.
Old Sep 9, 2000, 10:28 am
ALW

No, but I read snackyx's message to mean the account would be (say) 10 nights short of Gold on Dec 31, and 10 more nights in January would have given a year's status under the old system. But with the new system, those 40 nights (?-I think it's 50 for Gold) would be worth nothing towards Gold, the counter would re-start on Jan 1.

andrew
Old Sep 11, 2000, 6:05 pm
Original Member

FWIW, I got my platinum card several months ago, and it has an expiration date of 01/02 on it. So, you *should* enjoy your elite privs through all of 2001, even if the point counter is reset to zero on Jan. 1, 2001. In my case, it simply meant that I can concentrate on maintaining elite status with Hilton and Starwood for the rest of this year, without losing anything in requalifying for Marriott.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I DO have SILVER status through early 2002...my point was to bump up to GOLD status, I would need to use the nights from fall of 2000 with nights from spring 2001. Under any other year (the "rolling" 12 month period) this would be no problem. Because of this conversion to the new system this year, I lose all the nights from now unitl 12/31/00, as they reset on 1/1/01.

I think they should allow qualification if you have the required nights in any 12 month period from 2001 or 2001 until the conversation is complete.

Old Sep 12, 2000, 6:51 pm
Original Member

I see. I'm sorry I misunderstood your problem; and I agree, they should allow some "slack" in the conversion for special cases.

It wouldn't hurt to call and ask...it probably won't do any good, but if you got a really good customer service rep, who knows?

Anyway, good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.