Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gr8smiles
My wife and I, along with our daughter and 3 of her college roommates, will be staying there March 13-18 (Sun-Fri) next week. We are using points for two rooms. My wife and I stayed here several years ago and really enjoyed it. We are platinum for the 2nd year in a row. What, if any, kind of upgrades can we expect? I don't believe there is a concierge lounge there. Do they offer any breakfast options? Thanks for any help here. I thought about calling the front desk before we arrive. Any advice there? For what it's worth, I am more concerned about my wife and I having an ocean front view room so we can enjoy the balcony than the girl's having one
Isn't this during spring break season? My guess is the hotel will be pretty full. I'd ask; worst that can happen is they say no. Best they say yes. You can or send a fax to FDM or Ressie Mgr. Have fun!

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:25 am
AFB

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriott Rewards
Harbor Beach Marriott - FLL upgrade?

We are staying at HB Fort Lauderdale over the Easter holiday on points. We currently have an oceanfront room with balcony. Any advice for seeking an upgrade to a suite? Do they allow you to pay or use additional points to upgrade to a suite? We have always stayed at the Pelican or the Hilton in a 1 BR suite for the extra room (big 13 year old!) and the ability to do breakfast and usually one other meal in the room. We are gold level rewards members. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Last edited by AFB; Apr 2, 2011 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
And the Harbor Beach is where?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:22 am
AFB

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriott Rewards
Sorry - Harbor Beach Fort Lauderdale
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Maybe others have had better success, I've stayed there maybe half a dozen times, but have never received a suite upgrade. (I've never really asked for one either though.) I normally get as cheap a room as I can with an upgrade to an Oceanfront room.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier & Lifetime Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz Gold
I've stayed there twice over the past year as a PP and the best upgrade I received both times was to a side ocean view room overlooking the pool.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
I've stayed many times, always as a platinum, and only ever received upgrade to ocean front room. When I booked ocean front and asked about an upgraded room, i've been told you are in our best upgrade room already - with an ocean view.

Also I would think suites would be booked by paying customers at this busy time of year anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by AFB
We are staying at HB Fort Lauderdale over the Easter holiday on points. We currently have an oceanfront room with balcony. Any advice for seeking an upgrade to a suite? Do they allow you to pay or use additional points to upgrade to a suite? We have always stayed at the Pelican or the Hilton in a 1 BR suite for the extra room (big 13 year old!) and the ability to do breakfast and usually one other meal in the room. We are gold level rewards members. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Hey there. I've stayed at the HB Marriott several times as a Plat and have never been upgraded to a suite. I always book an ocean view balcony, which are very nice rooms, maybe a bit on the small side, but still, very nice. Each time I've asked for an UG, and each time they tried to find me something, but no go.

This place is always very busy, at least when I've been there. The front desk seems to be clogged up with guests 24/7. Given that, I doubt suites or any other upgraded rooms go unsold, especially this time of year, which is the start of cruise season, no?

Even so, I was always treated well during my stays. I've been given free coupons for this and that,...if I recall, in-room movies, spa, etc. Last time there, in April 2010, my traveling companion treated me to a massage at their in-house facility. This was also very nice, but I'm sure cost a pretty penny.

Have fun!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Love this hotel, been going there for 20 years and always as a Gold or Platinum, only once got upgraded to a suite and that was when there was a huge conference in the hotel, (probably the only room available when i checked in!).

I do know that everyone that checks in here asks for an upgrade (from chatting to staff) and it is hard for the front desk to please everyone, and why should everyone get an upgrade. You get what you pay for and anything else is a bonus right?

You will love the hotel though, it is one of the best Marriotts, and certainly the best Hotel in Fort Lauderdale! (The reason I go three times a year for the last 20!)
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
My guess is the resort is most likely very close to capacity already - Easter is only a few weeks away and while "high" season ended this past week Easter week is still a very high demand period
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Just wrapping up our long weekend stay at Harbor Beach Marriott.

Booked cheapest room available at a MR rate of $202/night. No communications from the hotel before I arrived recognizing my Platinum Premier status, etc.

At check-in, I inquired about upgrades. I could either take a free upgrade to an ocean-front room or pay to upgrade to a suite. They offered me a choice of two suites. One was $150/night and included a separate bedroom, large sleeper sofa, table for 4 and refrigerator/freezer. The other was $200/night and had more space but similar amenities. I chose the cheaper of the two suites. The suite was called Turtle Point and was the cheapest suite with a separate master bedroom, which I had specifically asked for since we were traveling with my 18 year old step-daughter.

http://marriottharborbeach.com/_file...e_Diagrams.pdf

I also didn't care about the $600 upgrade charge. I'm using Marriott gift cheques so it's not cash out of my pocket.

We received coupons for two in-room movies, two free snacks at the beach or pool bar and access to the spa which included a 25% discount on services. The Platinum amenities included either points or the usual beer/wine/soda choices. Food choices were pretty good and included buffalo chicken fingers, key lime pie, etc. or a 15 minute foot massage at the spa.

The room was nice. It's on the southeast front corner of the hotel overlooking the beach and pool with a wrap-around balcony. The bathroom is not large but does have a door between the shower/toilet and the sink dressing area. The living room as a queen sleeper sofa and room for a rollaway bed. I liked the drawer-type refrigerator and freezer. Plenty of room for drinks, breakfast foods and ice. There's a separate service bar fridge stocked with the typical expensive snacks and beverages.

Parking is $25/night for self-parking. No off-site options since the hotel is located in a residential area.

The spa is nice. As a platinum, I got passes which included access to the pool, sauna, exercise room, locker rooms, etc. This is a $30 option for non-Plat guests. The spa is age 16 and up only. The pool is saline and has under-water speakers. The pool area has nice lounge chairs with cushions and terry-cloth covers. They have food and beverage service. The food is expensive (as is all food at this property) but a better selection than the main pool. Adult beverages are cheaper and twice the size of what they serve from Sea Level, the pool bar. The locker rooms have all amenities of a health club. They sell memberships to the club to locals so you'll see some of them hanging around. I love the privacy of the spa pool and no kids policy. The view is nice since it is located above the main pool and has a nice view out towards the ocean.

The beach is nice too. They have complimentary chaise lounges on the beach along with umbrella rentals ($15), covered chaise chairs and cabanas ($75-125). There's a pool bar. It's nothing impressive. They have a club car with a full bar that comes down to the beach for drink service and they'll deliver food, too. The beach and water were clean. We saw lots of sea turtle nests. They have some very strict laws about the turtles which include putting up beach chairs by 7pm. There are also beach activities like jet skis, sailboats, banana boating, etc.

There are two restaurants on site and a Starbucks plus the pool bar. We didn't eat at the restaurants. 3030 is a well-reviewed restaurant and probably very good. Food is very expensive anywhere at this property. Our complimentary snack was hummus and pita bread which is priced at $12. That's ridiculous. The hotel is just across the intra-coastal on A1A from Fort Lauderdale so we ate off site. There's a Publix supermarket nearby with a good bakery and pre-made family meals. A Total Wine store is next door. There's a lot of good restaurants nearby including Giorgio's Italian, Anthony's Pizza, Lester's Diner, Southport Raw Bar and chains like IHOP, Outback, McDonald's, Burger King and so forth.

Overall, I believe we were treated well. I didn't like the 1pm late check out option but not much I can do about that.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Trip update on this property:

Was there for Labor Day weekend and used points plus cash upgrade for an oceanfront room. Smallish but bathroom was big. Got choice of beverage + food for amenity gift and since I was with family, ended up choosing the mojito + chips & salsa. To our surprise, we got 2 mojitos delivered with the chips and salsa. That was a good touch.

Food really was expensive but consistent with a resort feel. Some examples: Bananas were $2 each at the Starbucks downstairs; Bacon/Cheese burger w/fries was $16. Also got a complimentary movie but the on-demand system never worked

I was on the 12th floor and the only complaint I had was that this being a family resort, people would let their kids run and scream throughout the hallways event at 10 pm. I have a 4 yos so we understand kids but I thought it was a bit ridiculous on the parents to let them run around and do all that stuff.

Wired internet was free, as was the wireless, because of the PLAT status. One thing I have to mention that hadn't seen anywhere here is the fact that they were using a "card" to use pool towels. I don't know if they had problems with them before but all it is, is a paper card that looks like a business card that you trade in at the pool towel hut in exchange for 2 towels per card. Not a bad idea, as you minimize the amount of towels given to guests. The only problem is that if you lose the card, you get charged $25 per card. Ouch! This made me leery of losing towels, cards to prevent from being charged by the resort.

Overall we liked the location, the beach, the hotel, the service and would definitely go back again. Oh yeah, and no room upgrade to a suite .
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:44 pm

Great reviews. Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:26 pm

Harbor Beach Marriott this summer

Right now the lowest cost room at the Harbor Beach Marriott is $309. for this summer. Will these rates go down as we get closer to summer or should we just go ahead and reserve a room?

I was hoping to do points, but I don't have enought right now, but I will later

Can I expect a nice upgrade since I am platinum? I know that we will not get breakfast since it is a Resort.

CSBM
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I doubt the rates will go down much. And unless the reservation has a very restrictive cancellation clause, I'd go ahead and make a reservation. If the rates do drop, then cancel your existing one and make a new one.

Also, you can go ahead and make an award reservation now even though you don't have the points. As long as you get the needed points before your trip, you can order the award cert when you get the points. So if you think you may prefer an award to a "cash" stay, I'd go ahead and make the award reservation now. Award inventory can disappear quickly if you don't and then you won't be able use your points for this stay.

As for an upgrade, you will probably get upgraded to an Oceanview room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.