Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by superpilot21
Mine are posting immediately.

Best promotion I've been a part of. Already platinum for next year!
Is this promotion available to everyone, or only selected members? Not that I need more nights, but was just curious. Thx
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
I'm full up on my IHG promotions, at least for something that I can achieve.

Do you folks know of any promotion for July and August? I've completed the June promo.

TIA,
Randidliyo
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
It is targeted non-US

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Is this promotion available to everyone, or only selected members? Not that I need more nights, but was just curious. Thx
I'm sure someone will correct e if I'm wrong, but the double Elite night promo was targeted for non-US Elites.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Cooper21
I'm sure someone will correct e if I'm wrong, but the double Elite night promo was targeted for non-US Elites.
That is partially correct. In fact, you had to have given Marriott "a valid address outside the United States as of the 8th of April 2016 to participate". Quote provided by Marriott Rewards UK.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Quick question, apologies if it's been answered before:

Free night certificates, do I have to BOOK by expiry date or STAY by expiry date?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Thank You Citi Rewards
If I book a room using my Chase Ultimate reward points for a Courtyard Marriott room, well I receive Marriott Elite Status benefits?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Just changed and rebooked my Marriott reservation thought Mr.Rebates!! Yet another FT learn. 400 dollar stay, so 20 bucks back for a few clicks!

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Why not make this a wiki so we all can update?

In any event you may want to add Quidco cashback to the list. They offer 9% cb on Marriott. Much better than the rest. However you will ultimately need access to a UK bank acct for cash transfer. They only paypal the first $25. UK residency not required - just a UK bank acct.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Quick question, apologies if it's been answered before:

Free night certificates, do I have to BOOK by expiry date or STAY by expiry date?
Pretty sure it's stay by date, but also have 100% success when calling member services and getting them to extend date. I needed one extended a few weeks in October, they pushed it to August of next year!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Can you double up with mr rebates and ebates with marriott ?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by superpilot21
Hello!

I'm registered for the "Double Elite Nights" promotion.

For non-US every night from June 2 to Dec 31 count double... My question is: does anyone know when these post? I've had 3 stays for a total of 4 nights... the points and single nights have posted - When does the promo night credit happen?

Rather ask y'all then whine on the marriott line
I got my double Elite nights right after my stay.

But had a question: Is there a limit on the nights? I have 12 nights counted as elite nights and progress shows 100%. Does that mean, the promotion is complete for me?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ch3ss
Can you double up with mr rebates and ebates with marriott ?
No. One portal per booking.

Originally Posted by Chimmy31
If I book a room using my Chase Ultimate reward points for a Courtyard Marriott room, well I receive Marriott Elite Status benefits?
If your account number is tied to the stay, yes.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:07 pm

Newbie question

I registered for Global Promotion and Double Elite Night, but I stayed before registering, nonetheless complying with its terms. Is there a chance that I won my promo rewards or not? Sorry about this lame question.

Cheers!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Ebates is now at 6% for this week.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by KMA26
Ebates is now at 6% for this week.
Thanks! Updated OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.