Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gtu2004
Does anyone know how long it takes for you to actually receive cashback from TCB for a Marriott gift card purchase? I got it confirmed and pending and stuff, but it's been like 2 months...

Also OP, where is the "20% off all Marriott stays" offer that you have in your signature? Is that the $10 for $50 gift card purchase? That wouldn't be 20% off all Marriott stays...
So the cash back from TCB is not payable yet? You might consider contacting their customer service.

I used Top Cash Back for a 3 Radisson stays back in early July and I only got 2 of them confirmed so far, 1 is still missing
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by the4aces
What is the best gift card promotion that Marriott has had?
The best I recall was 20 points per dollar PLUS a 10% deposit bonus for Gift Cards via their Honeymoon Registry. (I think a lot of people renewed their vows when that came around!) The current 10% discount offers are about the standard for a good one, but the 5% cash back on both Gift Cards and then stays is above par.

Does anyone know how long it takes for you to actually receive cashback from TCB for a Marriott gift card purchase? I got it confirmed and pending and stuff, but it's been like 2 months...
All cash back providers rely on the same affiliate program (CJ) and that affiliate program takes *weeks* to pay after your stay is complete or your Gift Card is sent. Because the lead time from the time your order/booking can vary and because each cash back program uses their own system to notify you of progress (for example, when CJ has reported the transaction), you'd do best to just be sure they successfully have record of your transaction *after* you've stayed or received the card, and once you know this, be prepared to wait several more weeks. I've received cash back from Gift Card purchases in as little as a couple of months, but other times it took upwards of 4 months.

Also OP, where is the "20% off all Marriott stays" offer that you have in your signature? Is that the $10 for $50 gift card purchase? That wouldn't be 20% off all Marriott stays...
5% back on a Gift Card purchase + 5% back on your booking + 10% discount on Gift Card = 20% off, applicable to just about any stay. There's no 20% off in one transaction - didn't mean to mislead - just trying to highlight how good the combo of discounts are right now.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

The 70K bonus for the Chase Marriott credit card has ended, but there's a 50K + $75 statement credit offer still available. It's really not that inferior as you are swapping 20K MRPs for $75, which isn't that far off the mark for some people's valuation of the points. I've updated the OP accordingly.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by the4aces
What is the best gift card promotion that Marriott has had?
20% once a year is probably the best you can get. Else the 10% off plus Delta miles and cashback are pretty good when they come around.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mooper: Cash back from TCB are not standard paypal payment, it's in form of e-cheques, which means that since my paypal account an US one, I'll have to pay 3.9% + 0.30 in fees for cross border transaction fee. I have never experienced this with other cash back companies. Is this normal?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Mooper: Cash back from TCB are not standard paypal payment, it's in form of e-cheques, which means that since my paypal account an US one, I'll have to pay 3.9% + 0.30 in fees for cross border transaction fee. I have never experienced this with other cash back companies. Is this normal?
"Normal" being that CB sites vary and several such as ShopAtHome pay via check instead of PayPal? Yes, normal. Not everyone has to pay a fee, and their terms state that they pay by check. CB sites vary - that's really a better topic for a different thread.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: Marriott:P, Le Club:P, HHornors: G, Carlson: G, SPG:G, IHG:PA
Originally Posted by nacho
Anyone else received confirmation from Mr.R?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:53 am

Marriott Gift Cards - 10% Bonus

For those of you interested, Marriott has an offer on gift cards. If you purchase your gift card by September 4, 2012 they will add 10% to your purchase. So if you buy $500 you will get $550. Shipping was only $1.00.

You need to enter promo code "PRIDE".
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:02 am

Maybe you missed the Sticky in the forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ks-promos.html
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
If you but gift cards through the Southwest promotion, do you earn the normal amount of Marriott points (10/$) for your stay when you pay with them?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majikow
If you but gift cards through the Southwest promotion, do you earn the normal amount of Marriott points (10/$) for your stay when you pay with them?
Yes.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
The 70K bonus for the Chase Marriott credit card has ended, but there's a 50K + $75 statement credit offer still available. It's really not that inferior as you are swapping 20K MRPs for $75, which isn't that far off the mark for some people's valuation of the points. I've updated the OP accordingly.

Really? it ended? I just received this offer like a week ago. I was hanging on for a bit, but was highly considering this offer. In fact, likely gonna jump on it early next week.

So, if it ended, that's a bummer.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoreline
Really? it ended? I just received this offer like a week ago. I was hanging on for a bit, but was highly considering this offer. In fact, likely gonna jump on it early next week.

So, if it ended, that's a bummer.
If you just received the 70K offer, perhaps it is still alive. You're the first person I've seen report as such. Are you sure it is publicly available, as the old 0K offer was, or was just targeted to you? Please go to this thread and consider sharing the sign-up link. Or, if no link was provided, mention the expiration listed on your offer so others know it might still be alive in a targeted sense (if targeted, that should still allow people the option to request a match). Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:22 pm

So I'm considering booking a room @ JW Marriott in Phuket. What would be my best strategy?

I'm thinking...
1. Use Mr. Rebates link to purchase Marriott gift card - 5% back
2. Use Amtrak promo code for 10% bonus value
3. Book hotel stay through Mr. Rebates link - 5% back

And then do I still get the 5 MRP/$ when I finish the stay? (I have the Marriott Visa)
Also, if I pay for the gift card w/ my Chase Sapphire Preferred, would they consider that "travel"? (2x)

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esteban105
So I'm considering booking a room @ JW Marriott in Phuket. What would be my best strategy?

I'm thinking...
1. Use Mr. Rebates link to purchase Marriott gift card - 5% back
2. Use Amtrak promo code for 10% bonus value
3. Book hotel stay through Mr. Rebates link - 5% back

Thanks in advance.
As far as I know the Mr. Rebates 5% is temporary, so book now if you know your dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.