Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anaggie
We are three adults in one room - maybe I should book another room?

what do you guys think?
Book another room or go with a different hotel.

Its been about 10 years since I last stayed at this hotel and from the comments, it looks like it has really bottomed out. I can remember getting treated very nicely as a Plat back then. They even noticed one of my trips was over my birthday and they gave me a very nice cheesecake. And they gave me the whole thing, not just a slice. I can't remember the views any longer, but I do remember the windows along the outer wall were enormous and the rooms they gave me were larger than a normal hotel room I get in the US.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anaggie
I have a stay booked for a weekend in March using points. Got the twin bed option are they really twin beds or are they fullsize?

We are three adults in one room - maybe I should book another room?

what do you guys think?
Perhaps look at the JW instead?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I had a very nice room in December 2015. It was newly renovated. They even put a Christmas tree decorated with lights and bulbs in my room.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:06 pm

This hotel was generally good when I stayed there and cleanliness or condition of the facilities/amenities were no issue. There were a few issues that I had to bring up. Staff (particularly in the lounge) were exceptional though and it made up for quirks.

I did get the impression they're trying to cut corners on costs. For example, they don't provide phone chargers for use by guests except for the staff's own chargers (which is unfair to staff to be pressured to do so). Likewise lounge snacks consisted of just a handful of jars of crackers/candy between breakfast to start of dinner time.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The rates at this place have been sky-high every time I've checked. Higher than the JW, and similar to the St. Regis. Must be a ton of corporate demand.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rates at this place have been sky-high every time I've checked. Higher than the JW, and similar to the St. Regis. Must be a ton of corporate demand.
Agreed, last time I checked the rate was more than 2x higher than the Fullerton, which is closer to CBD and a much nicer property in every way (except no lounge and no points). I don't get it but I presume the laws of supply & demand haven't been repealed.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Just finished my stay at this hotel. Booked on Reward points and was available to get 3 to a room without any extra charges. As a Gold so they gave me an upgrade to a higher floor. Since my original room was not ready when I arrived, the higher floor room was ready so I took it.

Two twin beds were actually fullsize beds. Since the third person in my party has some back issues, he doesn't sleep on a bed. Worked out perfect for us as the hotel made a bed on the floor for him and he slept on the floor. Space wise, we were fine. We didn't spent a lot of time in the room anyway. Enough power outlets for all our devices and up to 10 devices allowed per room for free wifi. Closet was big so we put our clothes and bags in there and the room didn't feel crowded at all.

Bathroom was a normal size and we just took turns. Lounge access was given to all three of us without any extra charges. Breakfast was available in the lounge or downstairs -- we chose downstairs everyday. We did use the cocktail hour once and they had mixed drinks and beer for free with some snacks.

Overall, I was happy with this hotel. I don't know why people complain...this hotel worked perfectly for us. It would work for my family also as the pool looks to be a neat place to hang out in the afternoon.

Last edited by anaggie; Mar 21, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
Originally Posted by Isochronous
What is Platinum treatment like at this hotel for suite upgrades?
I am sitting in the lounge now because my supposed "suite" upgrade is not ready, despite the email exchange prior to arrival.

I also learned something new at this property, according to the staff Vera, Plat only suppose to get the 'a category" higher than original booked room.

Also, I suspect my LNF rate was not pleasant to the hotel management?

NOW I regretted I cancelled my Fairmont Upgraded Penthouse suite.... (running for lifetime status on Marriott).

Last edited by allanyong; May 3, 2018 at 10:35 pm Reason: add content
Old May 4, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by allanyong
I am sitting in the lounge now because my supposed "suite" upgrade is not ready, despite the email exchange prior to arrival.

I also learned something new at this property, according to the staff Vera, Plat only suppose to get the 'a category" higher than original booked room.
That's not what Marriott's terms state. I would have no shame in reading the terms.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; May 4, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old May 4, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's now what Marriott's terms state. I would have no shame in reading the terms.
Where? I just looked and found no language in the T&Cs limiting the UG to one room type. It is still based on availability as determined by the hotel. Other room types are shown as being upgrades, but suites are included and UGs are not, as the hotel indicated, limited to a category higher.
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.
Also, the wretched Orchard Rd Marriott is covered by the Marriott Rewards Asian Pacific Suite Upgrade Policy which specifically includes Singapore and the Marriott brand. Yes, it is also subject to availability but not having a suite available is different than the hotel deciding it wants to just opt out of an advertised policy. OP, reach out to Marriott and let them know this hotel is making up its own rules.

There are many hotels that have a policy of only UG one room type but this is usually noted both when making the reservation and at the time of booking. For example, many beach properties limit UGs so members will not expect a two room beachfront suite when booking the cheapest closet. None of these hotels is violating a published, advertised Marriott policy.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 4, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old May 4, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Where? I just looked and found no language in the T&Cs limiting the UG to one room type. It is still based on availability as determined by the hotel. Other room types are shown as being upgrades, but suites are included and UGs are not, as the hotel indicated, limited to a category higher.
It was a typographical error. I meant to say, that is not what the terms state. The guest should complain and read the terms to the manager.
CJKatl likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They're giving you a suite and you're complaining?

That's really not surprising in Singapore. Is there any other major market where properties are consistently so tight with upgrades?
Old May 10, 2018, 1:32 am

Look like I scored a lucky shot at the Presidential suite for 2 nights. An overkill I thought, should be letting it go for the next lucky chap. haha!
Old May 10, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's really not surprising in Singapore. Is there any other major market where properties are consistently so tight with upgrades?
That is exactly what I thought when I read the report of a one category upgrade. That is soooo Singapore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.