Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Though rare, I have been inconvenienced by several "middle of the night" fire alarms at numerous hotel banners.
Hotel history has many examples of significant loss of life due to fire and lack of proper procedures to prevent loss of life. I do not hold an occassional failure of these systems against the property.
119 people died at the Winecoff Hotel in Atlanta in 1946
84 people died at the Vegas MGM in 1980

That is why these alarms and procedures are in place--better safe than sorry.

If anyone feel compelled to ask for compensation--go for it!!
Old May 31, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Originally Posted by Exraf
Rather be tired than a statistic!

Exraf
EXACTLY! Unless it is a malfunction that repeats itself I don't think any compensation is due. Life's not perfect and we shouldn't expect compensation whenever things don't go perfectly. That being said, if people want to live there lives constantly looking for other's to "make it better" - have at it. Seems like a lousy way to go through life though.
Old May 31, 2006, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I guess it's all perspective. In 10+ years of travelling fairly often overseas and within N. America, I thought back while reading this thread and only recall a fire alarm disturbing my beauty sleep once. That's once in perhaps 200+ hotel nights. To me, it is much better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is FT and YMMV.
Old May 31, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I can remember a very few instances of this happening, but I clicked on the thread because the very same thing happened at the Williamsburg (Virginia) Marriott this past Saturday night. The alarm went off around 1:30 AM, then again at 1:45, then yet again at 3:00. Let's just say I wasn't happy having to get my two-year-old calmed down three times during the night, let alone settling my own nerves.

The funny thing is, I never even THOUGHT about expecting any kind of compensation. As others have said, I'd rather deal with a false alarm once in a blue moon than to have a hotel burn down around me without the protection systems working as designed.

FWIW, when I asked at the front desk the next morning, they told me that it was some smokers in a non-smoking room who were responsible for the nonsense. I didn't ask how that led to repeated full-hotel evacuations. In addition, the fire alarm strobe lights were still flashing the next morning all over the hotel (but no audible alarm was sounding). I had to wonder if they just turned off the sirens and bells, and what would have happened had a real fire actually broken out after all the false alarms...
Old May 31, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 1 MM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BruceWG
While staying in Scotland one December had a fire alarm and had to evacuate at 2AM into freezing (well below 32F) conditions. Very cold! The next morning at breakfast the manager came around to the tables to offer his apology, letting us know is was the result of a party that had a bit too much to drink pulling the alarm. While he was talking to us they had a small fire in the kitchen, and this cause another evacuation (no damage, but it was real this time).

Bruce
happened to me at the Dalmahoy Marriott in Scotland as well one time we were visiting friends and family. We trooped out at 5am into the freezing morning. Very cold. Only thing was, it was JUNE!! (I knew there was a reason I live in California and not Scotland now-a-days)
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:29 am

Programs: MPO, Asiana Gold, United Premier, PC Platium/Ambassador, Platinum GP..
Marriott Singapore

Has anybody stayed at this hotel recently? I know the location is very good but I am not so sure about room and other facilities.
Any information about this hotel is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Here is a thread that you might find helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136153

While that thread was started about 6 years ago, it has posts as late a May of this year (2006) and it has a good variety of reviews to help you. Also, if you are not "stuck" just on Marriott alone, you might also look around the Singapore forum. I would think there would be a lot of questions/answers there about various hotels in Singapore and their various benefits.

With that, I tend to make it to Singapore once or twice a year for business and I normally stay at the Marriott. Yes, the comments made that the rooms can be a little on the small side are accurate, but overall, I have no problem with the rooms. I personally think this Marriott has one of the better overall lounges in the Marriott system. They tend to have a wider selection of foods than normal, it is open 7 days a week, and even throughout the day. And as you have mentioned, its location is one of the best if you want access to Orchard Rd and to the subway system.

I guess it would help to know what exactly you are looking for? Is this a business trip, pleasure, honeymoon? Are you looking for great views, large rooms, extra services, good lounge, to use or recieve Marriott points?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I personally think this Marriott has one of the better overall lounges in the Marriott system. They tend to have a wider selection of foods than normal, it is open 7 days a week, and even throughout the day.
Perhaps overall, but the old lounge was very bad by Asian standards as it was always totally packed. A far cry from JW BKK, JW HKG, JW JKT, JW SUB, Ren Seoul etc.

However it's been completely renovated AFAIK, so I'll report when I stay there again this Thursday.

The renovated rooms are very nice and I've been getting them lately (not without pushing for one though).
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:27 am

Programs: nwa plat ual elite hilton diamond marriott platinum hertz presidents circle
Marriott Singapore

Greetings all

I am currently in the last of 8 nights here at the Marriott Singapore. If you are upgraded to a pool Terrace suite becareful for the Weddings they are quite loud as I have found out the last 3 nights. As well today my A/C has gone out they are currently working on the unit. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Other than this it has been a wonderful hotel and stay for nights 192-200 of the year at a Marriott property. bring and umbrella it rains and rains hard!!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I avoided staying there last week due to a warning email they sent regarding construction onsite... sounds like it may have not been a factor for your stay.

Maybe next time... and bring ear plugs, or a nice suit to crash the weddings in
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Was there March this year and paid for a Pool Terrace Suite. I know exactly what you are talking about umbrella, when it pours and you need to leave your suite, you will need your umbrella. And depending on the suite you are in, it may be somewhat of a walk to the main building.

Love the "Rain Shower" in the Suite, I kept the partition down between the bathroom and the bedroom the whole time I was there to have some "privacy". Would have kept it up if the suite faces an ocean, but when the lights are on at night, guest around the pool can look right thru your suite.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I was there last week. 14th floor. No noise whatsoever.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Platinum recognition on Priceline

Does anyone have experience with platinum recognition on Priceline stays at this property?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by jtrader
Does anyone have experience with platinum recognition on Priceline stays at this property?
Push for an upgrade and you should get it. I've gotten a few older suites and sometimes the renovated exec rooms.

But the default seems to be non-renovated exec floor room.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:48 pm

Question Singapore Marriott - Does it use dynamic currency conversion?

Hello,

Does any know if the Singapore Marriott is participating in the scam du jour, namely dynamic currency conversion? If so, is it a hassle to convince them to bill in SGD?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.