Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help for a New Gold Marquis Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2000, 2:03 pm
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

Yea!!!! Just made Gold. What steps can I take - - or are there any angles that I can work to try to get on the Concierge level more frequently?
Old Jan 29, 2000, 3:38 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
The best step would be to work your way up to Black. I hardly ever get upgrades as Gold.
Old Jan 29, 2000, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
EMD: Ditto what PG just wrote. I never ever got a single upgrade as a Gold Marquis member.
Old Jan 29, 2000, 7:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I have been upgraded to the concierge level as a basic MR member. I asked!
Old Jan 30, 2000, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
I've been gold for 2 years. I usually just ask at the desk is it's available. If it is a lot of times they will give it to me. Worts case is they say no, or ask if I want to pay and I respectfully decline.
Old Jan 30, 2000, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Marriott is good about the exceptions. But, if you look in the rules, there are no upgrades for Gold.
Old Jan 31, 2000, 12:48 pm

Just ask politely if the hotel has the room. I have been upgraded in the last year 3 times. That is 3 times that I otherwise would have missed out on if I did not ask. If you get a cool F.D. Agent they usually will do this if they have rooms.
Starwood will give Gold members automatic upgrades based on avail. but you still should ask just to remind them as hotels front desk agents in general average turnover is approx. 6 months. If you don't ask you don't usually get. Be nice and just ask.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta, AA
I have upgraded as gold many times on weekends...because the hotel is usually dead then! During the week just be freindly and ask--I have found upgrades can be easy if they are available and you ask.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 1:23 pm
dg1

I was gold for six months and never asked for or got an upgrade. I like to follow the rules, I guess. It would anger me if a Gold level member checked in and was upgraded since the agent liked him/her and then me as Black didn't get the upgrade the next day. (As Platinum I almost always get the upgrade)

Shrug, life's not fair, I know
Old Feb 3, 2000, 1:53 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I see nothing wrong with asking, and as a Gold member I always ask politely. My understanding is that Black level members are entitled to get access to the concierge lounge even if they cannot get a concierge level room.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 9:54 pm
dg1

To clarify, I don't see anything in wrong with asking; I just question giving it away. But it's their hotel and they can do what they want. You're right about the lounge access thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.