Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2000, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Hilton

Anyone stayed at either of the properties in St. Thomas? Recommendations?

Will be a first time visitor. Any tips and/or advice are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2000, 12:49 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I have stayed both at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef/ Morning Star and at the Rennaisance. Frenchmen's Reef and Morning Star are together, just outside of the capitol, Charlotte Amalie. Frenchmen's Reef is pretty much a standard resort hotel, with spectacular water and shore views and a restaurant with wall to wall windows overlooking the entry to St. Thomas' Charlotte Amalie Harbor. Morning Star has a little more luxurious rooms, with many "apartments". The facilities of Frenchmen's Reef are available to guests at both hotels. The beach, pool and other activities are in common. All the beaches on St. Thomas are public... the Morning Star Beach is one of the better ones (they are all good).

We also enjoyed the Rennaisance, which is about five miles outside of Charlotte Amalie. Good beach... and an even better beach just next to it, with outstanding snorkeling.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the vacation.
Old Jan 29, 2000, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Hilton
Phil,

Thanks for the good information. We are about 20,000 miles shy on the airline side of the equation, so I am not sure exactly when we will go. In the fall, perhaps. I will let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 31, 2000, 8:36 am

I have been to both, but I was at the Renaissance when it was run by Stouffers. Frenchman's Reef is overall a better hotel, but both are good.

If you are at Frenchman's Reef, make sure you get a good view. All views at the Renaissance are nice as the hotel is a series of buildings set in the mountain. It can get tiring walking back and forth to the rooms, but beautiful views.

St. Thomas is beautiful and you will love it. It has the best beaches of anyplace I've ever been. I would also highly recommend a day trip to St. John's and Trunk bay. FWIW.
Old Dec 4, 2000, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
St Thomas Options - Marriott vs Renaissance vs Ritz?

I would appreciate any comments/comparisons of these properties in the USVI. Location, rooms, and ease of getting around without a car.

I have booked Marriott on an award stay in February, but they want $$$, not points, daily for any room upgrade. Is this Ritz actually worth 200,000 points for 5 nights?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.
Old Dec 4, 2000, 3:08 pm

Personally, I would stay at the Marriott. I stayed there last spring and it was very nice. It went through a $60M renovation after the last hurricane. It sits right on the edge of Charlotte Amalia and has a water taxi to downtown.

The Renaissance is nice and might be better if you have young children. The water is much calmer and all rooms have ocean views. The Renaissance and Ritz are also farther away from downtown.

I walked through the Ritz, but have not stayed their. Beautiful marble throughout and very nice, but not worth an extra 100,000 points. If you have 200,000 points, redeem them for the 7 nights plus airfare. Even if you can't use the miles with this trip, you can bank them for your next vacation.

Definitely go to St. Johns and/or take a day trip to the British Virgin Islands (Virgin Gorda, etc.)
Old Dec 4, 2000, 4:48 pm

I would stay away from the Renaissance. It is not nearly as good as one might think. The rooms are very far away from everything (you have to take a shuttle), many don't have an ocean view (mine sure didn't), and there are no waves at the beach (it is a bay).
Old Dec 5, 2000, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and did not find it particularly outstanding. The Renaissance does in fact appear to be a family property and is a bit ragged around some of the edges. Although there is a lot of activity and some good restaurants out on that end of the island where the Ritz and the Renaissance are located, the Marriott is closer to town and is fairly accessible. When I go there next, I will definitely choose the rooms at the Marriott that are right down on the beach as opposed to those in the main building up top. The beach is in a nicely sheltered cove, as opposed to that at the Ritz, which is often laced by heavy breezes, which may be welcome when the weather is exceptionally hot, but which become a bother at other times.
Old Dec 8, 2000, 4:14 pm

There are 2 parts to the Marriott. The Marriott proper and a place called Morningstar Beach. If you are using awards they will book you into the main hotel. For a few dollars you can upgrade to Morningstar which is right on the beach.
Old Dec 10, 2000, 10:05 am

DEFINITELY upgrade to Morningstar Beach...and get yourself and ocean view room which is right on the beach! Let the Caribbean sing you to sleep every night also!

I stayed there about 18 months ago and I am looking forward to my next trip. You will watch the cruise ships sailing into and out of Charlotte Amalie harbor from your room...which is just steps from the beach. I love this property!

Robert Linderman
Fairlawn, OH
Old Dec 10, 2000, 8:06 pm

I know the Marriott has gone through two major renovations, but as far as I am concerned it is still the Holiday Inn it was 10 years ago or so. But I third the advice on Morningstar - everyone from the main (i.e. Holiday Inn) wing will take the hike down to the beach, and meanwhile you'll be in a nice room right on the beach. Its a lovely place to stay. And whether you end up at Morningstar or the HI (oops, I mean Marriott) it is a great location for shopping and dining out, and a quick ride to the airport.
Old Feb 27, 2001, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Bringing this topic to the top in hopes for some more reviews prior to booking my trip. Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2001, 1:52 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"...I know the Marriott has gone through two major renovations, but as far as I am concerned it is still the Holiday Inn it was 10 years ago or so..."

Absolutely!

And I never got my points for the HI stay or the rental car either!

I'll fourth the above advice too!

Although I like this island, (and was married here too), there is no real clear cut best place to stay, IMHO! Have a great trip!

Old Feb 27, 2001, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We stayed at the Renaissance last April on an award and really enjoyed it. Asked for an upgrade to the poolside rooms. They said it would be a 6o dollar per nite charge, and it ended up being comped. Hotel service staff and property were fine. Convienent to Red Hook ferry to St. John and good dining nearby. Make sure to check out Duffy's in Red Hook.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:20 am

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
Any Experience at St.Thomas Renaissance Grand Beach?

I searched and couldn't find anything.

I am thinking of going to St. Thomas again. We usually stay at the Frenchman's Reef but, in searching, I now noticed there is a Renaissance there as well.

Has anyone stayed there? Opinions? Did it used to be something else?

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.