Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Antonio, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Antonio, TX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I realized I've got an unused cat 5 certificate expiring in March so I thought I'd make a last minute trip - any recommendations on whether to pick the Marriott Plaza San Antonio or the Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk? As a plat, I'd get free breakfast at the Marriott, but would like to know if the location on the Riverwalk is worth trading away the free breakfast.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Any recent updates here? Looking to possibly come down for a bowl game in December and would like to be walking distance to the Alamodome.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by bmr12
Any recent updates here? Looking to possibly come down for a bowl game in December and would like to be walking distance to the Alamodome.
The Alamodome is right up against the Interstate - not sure anything (at least in the Marriott portfolio) will be considered walking distance. But probably a pretty short taxi/uber ride.

I have only stayed at the downtown RI. It's not directly on the Riverwalk, but that can be a good thing (crowd/traffic noise) if you don't mind a short walk. But it's pretty dated on the whole.

The CY looked interesting walking by, but I would have noise concerns there, and it's apparently undergoing renovation. It's also very tight quarters by all accounts (see management comments in the reviews section on marriott.com).

The mainline Marriotts all look pretty dated as well. I have an upcoming trip and no SPG properties are working out, so contemplating my Marriott options. Not too excited about any of them, comments/insights based on recent experience certainly welcome...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by bmr12
I could walk it, but I don't think a ton of people could, most hotels are on the other side of the freeway to the Alamodome.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
The mainline NW property has been completely renovated last year and I think the result is not too bad...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by lily23
I realized I've got an unused cat 5 certificate expiring in March so I thought I'd make a last minute trip - any recommendations on whether to pick the Marriott Plaza San Antonio or the Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk? As a plat, I'd get free breakfast at the Marriott, but would like to know if the location on the Riverwalk is worth trading away the free breakfast.

Thanks in advance!
I personally liked the Marriott Plaza and that it is slightly off the path. It's a close walk to the River Walk, then just a couple more minutes to get to the center of everything. Or, walk street level to get there quicker. Also, going south on the River Walk away from downtown is really nice to explore. Wider and less people. Nicely landscaped, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I agree with puddy--back when I used to travel frequently to San Antonio, the Plaza was my first choice. The Rivercenter was a solid backup, and the once or twice I had to stay at the Riverwalk I found it acceptable too.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:16 am

For those who have stayed in multiple Marriott-family properties in SAT, what would you say are the advantages of the St. Anthony (LC) beyond the nicer common areas and furnishings? Price difference between the St. Anthony and the others (Sheraton, Marriotts, Westin) are substantial and yet I cannot seem to find the 'edge' that justifies the price. Is it really that much nicer? Notably better service? Are there any perks for Plats at the St. Anthony that are not there at the other properties?

TIA!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Gov't Rate
Originally Posted by jaejaez
For those who have stayed in multiple Marriott-family properties in SAT, what would you say are the advantages of the St. Anthony (LC) beyond the nicer common areas and furnishings? Price difference between the St. Anthony and the others (Sheraton, Marriotts, Westin) are substantial and yet I cannot seem to find the 'edge' that justifies the price. Is it really that much nicer? Notably better service? Are there any perks for Plats at the St. Anthony that are not there at the other properties?
I'm in SAT every 2-3 weeks for business and have stayed at all the Marriott properties in the downtown area. The St. Anthony, IMO, is the nicest of the bunch, but also a historic hotel and the quirks that go along with that. As far as perks for elites: it does not have a lounge and breakfast is $12 credit in the restaurant, which covers the continental option w/ coffee/juice with the remainder of the menu available a la carte. The fitness center is basic, but functional, the outdoor pool has a bar and there is another lobby bar as well as bar/restaurant attached, all of which are pretty good. Parking is valet or self-parking at a nearby lot. On balance this is a step up from any of the three Marriotts, Westin or the Sheraton. If the price differential is substantial I wouldn't say the St. Anthony would be worth the money over, say, the Westin or Riverwalk/Rivercenter. For a Cat. 5 free night the St. Anthony is great.

Of the properties in SAT:
  • Only the Marriotts (Riverwalk, Rivercenter, Plaza) have lounges
  • Marriott Riverwalk just renovated its fitness center with all new equipment and is the best of the bunch, Rivercenter will renovate its lounge later this year (according to a poster I saw last month). Both Riverwalk and Rivercenter are (I'm pretty sure) managed by the same group so both lounges are substantially equivalent.
  • Westin breakfast is $12 credit in the restaurant covering continental (cold only) breakfast with the whole menu available a la carte
  • Plaza is in need of renovation, but the location gives access to some interesting stuff south of the Riverwalk, can also be loud if your room faces the pool plaza part
  • Sheraton is in dire need of renovation, def. the weakest of the bunch
You will have to ask for upgrades, I've found all properties in SAT to be stingy about offering them proactively.
DCFlyer0306 and jaejaez like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by madgoat
I'm in SAT every 2-3 weeks for business and have stayed at all the Marriott properties in the downtown area. The St. Anthony, IMO, is the nicest of the bunch, but also a historic hotel and the quirks that go along with that. As far as perks for elites: it does not have a lounge and breakfast is $12 credit in the restaurant, which covers the continental option w/ coffee/juice with the remainder of the menu available a la carte. The fitness center is basic, but functional, the outdoor pool has a bar and there is another lobby bar as well as bar/restaurant attached, all of which are pretty good. Parking is valet or self-parking at a nearby lot. On balance this is a step up from any of the three Marriotts, Westin or the Sheraton. If the price differential is substantial I wouldn't say the St. Anthony would be worth the money over, say, the Westin or Riverwalk/Rivercenter. For a Cat. 5 free night the St. Anthony is great.

Of the properties in SAT:
  • Only the Marriotts (Riverwalk, Rivercenter, Plaza) have lounges
  • Marriott Riverwalk just renovated its fitness center with all new equipment and is the best of the bunch, Rivercenter will renovate its lounge later this year (according to a poster I saw last month). Both Riverwalk and Rivercenter are (I'm pretty sure) managed by the same group so both lounges are substantially equivalent.
  • Westin breakfast is $12 credit in the restaurant covering continental (cold only) breakfast with the whole menu available a la carte
  • Plaza is in need of renovation, but the location gives access to some interesting stuff south of the Riverwalk, can also be loud if your room faces the pool plaza part
  • Sheraton is in dire need of renovation, def. the weakest of the bunch
You will have to ask for upgrades, I've found all properties in SAT to be stingy about offering them proactively.
Thanks so much for the detailed response!
One quick question though - I thought Sheraton also had a lounge with free drinks at night? Or is that a thing of the past now?
Looks like I will opt for either Rivercenter or Riverwalk based on your input then. I thought the Sheraton looked OK on photos, and together with what someone said about decent lounge offerings, was going to give it a try but if the rooms are really that tired then I will need to reconsider.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Gov't Rate
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Thanks so much for the detailed response!
One quick question though - I thought Sheraton also had a lounge with free drinks at night? Or is that a thing of the past now?
Looks like I will opt for either Rivercenter or Riverwalk based on your input then. I thought the Sheraton looked OK on photos, and together with what someone said about decent lounge offerings, was going to give it a try but if the rooms are really that tired then I will need to reconsider.
I was incorrect in omitting that the Sheraton does have a club lounge. It is also a historic hotel (like the St. Anthony) just is in need of a refresh, however if you can get it at a good rate and like the location it is perfectly fine. I put it half a notch or so below the others, and the St. Anthony half a notch above. TBH, the Gunter could be closer to the St. Anthony if the management put the effort in to the physical property.

Of the Rivercenter/Riverwalk I prefer the Riverwalk if prices are comparable, especially if you can get a Riverwalk view as an upgrade.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by madgoat
I was incorrect in omitting that the Sheraton does have a club lounge. It is also a historic hotel (like the St. Anthony) just is in need of a refresh, however if you can get it at a good rate and like the location it is perfectly fine. I put it half a notch or so below the others, and the St. Anthony half a notch above. TBH, the Gunter could be closer to the St. Anthony if the management put the effort in to the physical property.

Of the Rivercenter/Riverwalk I prefer the Riverwalk if prices are comparable, especially if you can get a Riverwalk view as an upgrade.
I believe the Gunter did some renovations in 2012 or 2013. I'm not sure if it was just the public spaces or also included the rooms. I feel like the generic Sheraton furniture in all hotels makes these hotels age worse then they really are.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just stayed at the Rivercenter. Got upgraded to a corner room with a terrace - real treat to have your own private patio.

Food in the lounge was excellent. Breakfast one morning included scrambled eggs with spinach, tomatoes, and onions (eggs florentine?) and plain scrambled eggs, plus multiple meat options. They also had milk alternatives (soy and almond) which I appreciated. The evening lay-out included a really good kale soup one night, beef chili another night, and other decent choices, with a very attentive staff.

Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Can anyone kindly tell me the contacting email address of Riverwalk and Rivercenter?
Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:30 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
We would be happy to help with this.

You may contact San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter via email at: [email protected] and San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk here: [email protected] .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.