Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

NO Night credit or bonus points with Airline Voucher

Old Jun 11, 12, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I recently misconnected on an international flight and had to spend the night in a hotel and connect the following day. In this particular case, it was Zurich and I chose the Zurich Marriott Hotel (at which I made a reservation).

Two weeks later I noticed that I did not receive credit for the night's stay nor did I receive the 500 bonus points for my Platinum arrival gift.

When I called Marriott Rewards, they told me that I don't get credit for the night since it was paid for with a voucher. That doesn't make much sense. I should get the night's credit, shouldn't I? After all, I chose the hotel. Next time I could easily choose somewhere else and get credit in that program.

As for the Platinum Arrival gift, they opted to give me the 500 bonus points as a goodwill gesture. I didn't really want a goodwill gesture and would prefer that they either tell you upon checkin with a voucher that you should choose an arrival amenity since the points aren't available.

I love Marriott and love being a Platinum Premier. This just rubs me the wrong way. I know its only one night and 500 points - but its the principle I guess...
Old Jun 11, 12, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
since the airline, via their voucher, paid for the room, per Marriotts T&Cs I see no problem here.............. you might have chosen the hotel, but other then that you were along for the (free) ride!

[QUOTE=ordflyboy;18737891]I recently misconnected on an international flight and had to spend the night in a hotel and connect the following day. In this particular case, it was Zurich and I chose the Zurich Marriott Hotel (at which I made a reservation).
Two weeks later I noticed that I did not receive credit for the night's stay nor did I receive the 500 bonus points for my Platinum arrival gift. ]
Old Jun 11, 12, 6:12 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Did you charge any expenses to your stay (breakfast, mini bar ect)?? Sometimes it does the trick!!

I agree that as per the T&C you shouldn't get the night credit, but I think you should get the welcome amenity!! After all, you get the welcome amenity on reward stays!!

Maybe someone can elaborate on this one!!
Old Jun 11, 12, 7:17 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
You definitely should have still received your arrival amenity.

Over the years, I've had a few nights on the airline's dime. I always ask for a Marriott hotel as I can still get my arrival amenity, lounge access (if there is a lounge and it is open), possible room upgrades even with an airline voucher. I know Starwood doesn't honor elite benefits (much less points/stay credit) on those stays.
Old Jun 11, 12, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I always ask for a snack, movie, etc., in these situations because they can't take that back. Since a 3rd party paid, nights/points aren't supposed to be earned. Seems right to me.
Old Jun 11, 12, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers negotiate rock bottom rates for distressed pax. Good deal for the carrier and the hotel (these are rooms which would otherwise almost certainly go unsold).

But, jast as some businesses negotiate "no points" deals, the carriers do as well.
Old Jun 11, 12, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Few years back I got points / stay credit / welcome give (was plat at the time) at the Marriott MEM when staying on a NW airlines voucher due to VDB/oversold flight...
Old Jun 11, 12, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
just means that the hotel miscoded the stay and credited you for points/stays incorrectly............ it happens........

Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
Few years back I got points / stay credit / welcome give (was plat at the time) at the Marriott MEM when staying on a NW airlines voucher due to VDB/oversold flight...
Old Jun 11, 12, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
just means that the hotel miscoded the stay and credited you for points/stays incorrectly............ it happens........
And I wasn't about to complain about it, either.
Old Jun 11, 12, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
Did you charge any expenses to your stay (breakfast, mini bar ect)?? Sometimes it does the trick!!

I agree that as per the T&C you shouldn't get the night credit, but I think you should get the welcome amenity!! After all, you get the welcome amenity on reward stays!!

Maybe someone can elaborate on this one!!
Making a purchase will sometimes do the trick. It's a crap shoot. I always make a personal purchase during stays like the OP's. There isn't supposed to be a stay credit but it happens on occasion.
Old May 21, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I just checked in to Sheraton LAX gateway on airline hotel voucher. Checked in lady added my Bonvoy number and offered me welcome points and lounge access (I'm titanium). I will try to eat more the meal voucher and charge the rest to the room to see if I get anything else.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In the past, I have received elite status treatment at the properties, but amenity points and night/stay credit don't post. I now choose an alternate amenity at check-in.
Old May 24, 19, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I just checked in to Sheraton LAX gateway on airline hotel voucher. Checked in lady added my Bonvoy number and offered me welcome points and lounge access (I'm titanium). I will try to eat more the meal voucher and charge the rest to the room to see if I get anything else.
I have received regular stay credit on airline vouchers in the past, but YMMV.

Search this Thread