Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to buy all Gaylord properties

Marriott to buy all Gaylord properties

Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Also noted that Gaylord is killing its proposed 1500-room hotel near Denver International Airport. I'm not surprised.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Also noted that Gaylord is killing its proposed 1500-room hotel near Denver International Airport. I'm not surprised.
Good. Maybe that will stop all of the bickering between Aurora and Denver. Feel bad for the National Western Stock Show though.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Muerz
The only Marriott property that comes to my mind as being similar is the Marriott World Center Resort but I guess it would be to close to the Gaylord Palms to rebrand it...
Grande Lakes is larger than World Center
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So which of these lists would Gaylord go in? I'm really trying to wrap my mind around wehre Marriott is going with the brand proliferation of the past few years. I 'm not sure this list is even complete. What about Marriott Suites?

Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So which of these lists would Gaylord go in? I'm really trying to wrap my mind around wehre Marriott is going with the brand proliferation of the past few years. I 'm not sure this list is even complete. What about Marriott Suites?
Vicki - Have you been to a Gaylord property? It doesn't fit in any of these lists. Gaylord properties are pretty unique. They are huge, upscale convention hotels. Think a Vegas Strip hotel, without the gambling. It puts MI into a category that none of its brands presently represent.

Gaylord isn't Marriott Suites. It isn't Marriott, Ren, JW or CY. The announcements have stated Marriott intends to keep the Gaylord name, which makes sense, given its reputation.

If the people who run the very successful hotel company MI don't feel it is an issue to have another nameplate, why should anyone else? What difference does it make?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If the people who run the very successful hotel company MI don't feel it is an issue to have another nameplate, why should anyone else? What difference does it make?
+1 amazing how many hotel execs we have on this board
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Suites is a brand extension

Marriott wants a brand in every segment where they believe there is opportunity (over the past few years the industry has become more and more segmented)
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=CJKatl;18687078]Vicki - Have you been to a Gaylord property? It doesn't fit in any of these lists. [QUOTE]

I agree to a certian extent. So then the add list 8?

Right now we have these lists:

In the too good to offer benefits to Plats and Gold:

Iconic Luxury

in the not good enough to offer Plat/Gold Benefits:

Modern Essentials
Extended Stay
Vacation Clubs

And in the sweet spot where we get the most benefits relative to non-elite guests:

Luxury
Lifestyle Collections
Signature

Where will Gaylord fall, and what benefits will we get?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:35 am

... what benefits will we get?
That is a good question. I checked Marriott Insiders. It hasn't been asked there, either, so I posted it. Maybe we'll get an official answer.

In terms of room feel, Gaylord falls in around the FS/Ren level. In terms of services, I'd say akin to resorts.

Like the existing resort properties, I wouldn't expect to see CLs in the hotels, which would be understandable given the sheer size of these hotels and the fact that most people at these hotels during the week are there for conferences that include meals and breaks. Plus there many dining options in the hotels already, including bakeries and coffee shops.

Unlike resorts, Gaylords are not individual destination properties, they are, for the most part, large meeting spaces selected by meeting planners. Still, I'd expect the benefits to be akin to FS resort properties.

One more thing: when it comes to room UGs, I've never had a bad room at one of these properties, but the best room would be one that doesn't require a map and a fifteen minute walk across the property to get to where your meeting takes place!

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 3, 2012 at 5:55 am
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=VickiSoCal;18688178]
Where will Gaylord fall, and what benefits will we get?
The purchase is subject to the vote of Gaylord's shareholders in August (Gaylord is a public company which intends to convert to a REIT - which will more than likely happen but if the shareholders don't approve then the deal is off)...where I'm going is it's much to early to have answers to your question
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is a good question. I checked Marriott Insiders. It hasn't been asked there, either, so I posted it. Maybe we'll get an official answer.

In terms of room feel, Gaylord falls in around the FS/Ren level. In terms of services, I'd say akin to resorts.

Like the existing resort properties, I wouldn't expect to see CLs in the hotels, which would be understandable given the sheer size of these hotels and the fact that most people at these hotels during the week are there for conferences that include meals and breaks. Plus there many dining options in the hotels already, including bakeries and coffee shops.

Unlike resorts, Gaylords are not individual destination properties, they are, for the most part, large meeting spaces selected by meeting planners. Still, I'd expect the benefits to be akin to FS resort properties.

One more thing: when it comes to room UGs, I've never had a bad room at one of these properties, but the best room would be one that doesn't require a map and a fifteen minute walk across the property to get to where your meeting takes place!
I would guess they would continue to be classified as Full Service Resorts (which is what they are considered today).....I do agree with you on the map/size of the property
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I know the Grande Lakes, have been staying there close to 100 nights and it is actually one of my favorite Marriotts. But I believe that the World Center has 2000 rooms (the JW only 1000) and I also think that the World Center has much more convention space!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:46 am

I know the Grande Lakes, have been staying there close to 100 nights and it is actually one of my favorite Marriotts. But I believe that the World Center has 2000 rooms (the JW only 1000) and I also think that the World Center has much more convention space!
But in terms of feel, the Gaylord hotels feel much bigger, and seem to have more convention space than either of those properties.

From Wikipedia (not always the most reliable) - The largest hotels in the world:

24. Cosmopolitan (LV - Actually Paradise): 2,995 Rooms
28. Gaylord Opryland (Nashville): 2,881
54. (tie) Marriott World Center (Orlando): 2,000
54. (tie) Gaylord National (DC/MD): 2,000
62. NY Marriott Marquis (NYC): 1,949
74. Atlanta Marriott Marquis (ATL): 1,675
85. JW/Ritz Grande Lakes (Orlando): 1,584

91. Gaylord Texan (Grapevine): 1,511
93. Marriott Marquis (San Francisco): 1,500
97. Gaylord Palms (Orlando): 1,406

The Cosmo is different, in that it's on the strip.

The Marquis properties are in the middle of cities, which makes them somewhat destination properties in their own right - people stay at the SF/NY/ATL Marquis because they are going to be in the city, not just because of a conference - and also means there is entertainment and dining right outside the hotel door. Gaylord properties are self contained resorts. I can remember leaving the Nashville property after a four day stay and realizing I hadn't been outside the entire time.

Even the World Center tends to rely on the Disney attractions more than being its own self contained resort. Maybe the Gaylord Palms does, too. That's the one I have not been to.

The Grande Lakes property is the only one that comes close to Gaylord hotels in terms of style and feel, but even it isn't that similar.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I've stayed at this hotel twice and gone to three or four additional conferences at the hotel while staying nearby, and this is the first I'm aware of a water park there! Hysterical. I guess it really is a HUGE property!
I live in the area and this is the first I'm aware of such a thing. However, the Great Wolf Lodge next door has a water park......
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah you are correct...grande lakes is only 1574 (remember - grande lakes has 2 brands), after the addition was added to world center it was increased to 2000 but I do believe Grande Lakes has more function space than World Center

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.