Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

LNF for newbies (that's Marriott's version of BRG)

Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I've had considerable experience with Marriott's LNF guarantee... but recently had a claim denied because the competing website needs to issue a voucher for the intended stay.

This was my first such denial based on this rule. The competing website was Ag0da from which I previously had several successful claims.

Likewise I hear some websites like Exped1a and and H0tels.c0m appear to have fallen foul of the voucher rule, but I've had successful claims from these websites previously too.

Can someone explain when exactly this voucher rule is triggered and when is it not? Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I guess the inconsistency has depended on the individual agent who has reviewed your claim.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can someone explain when exactly this voucher rule is triggered and when is it not? Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
In my experience the denial for voucher has only come into play for my stays in Europe, not the US. Haven't had experience with other locales.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Unfortunately Marriott LNF has changed their T&C since last time I looked at it. It states that no claims for prepaid vouchers (used to be ok for US and Canadian properties).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
The guarantee does not apply to the following rate types:
Rates that are not publicly available, such as negotiated corporate or group rates.
Discount rates offered only to members of groups or individuals who meet previously-specified criteria, including AAA members, seniors, government employees, or Marriott Rewards members.
Package rates that include the room and other components such as travel, car rental, entertainment, and/or non-breakfast meals.
Package or group add-on rates that extend the length of a stay.
Rates negotiated for stays extending beyond 30 nights.
Rates that are available on auction Web sites
Rates available on Web sites, such as Priceline and Hotwire, that do not disclose the hotel brand until the reservation is completed.
Pre-paid rates that involve a voucher or other form of pre-paid certificate (including electronic vouchers and certificates) for a hotel stay outside the United States and Canada.

Originally Posted by nacho
Unfortunately Marriott LNF has changed their T&C since last time I looked at it. It states that no claims for prepaid vouchers (used to be ok for US and Canadian properties).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Rather odd, but I just had a claim approved and another claim denied... both in recent week and in both cases the competing website was the same, and both hotels are in Asia.

Not sure if this means if a rate on the competing website is prepaid then it falls foul of the "voucher rule" but if it's free to cancel, then the claim is valid?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Bump.

Before I waste my time making more reservations and submitting claims, are there a series of websites which fall foul of this rule? (you know, like, every single hotel booking website on the planet?)

I got my LFN email response with a link to the Ts & Cs on my booking website (a well known Aussie based one - wot...), and quoting from the webpage:

"We will also send an email to the address you entered confirming the booking details. You must present a copy of this email or the Booking Confirmation page to reception when you check in."

Now, apart from the fact that I have never ever been asked for that confirmation email in the dozens of times I've booked using this (and other) websites, virtually every major travel website I can think of uses words to this effect

So basically, is LFN actually useable outside of the US, or is it just a great big marketing con???
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kt74
Bump.

Before I waste my time making more reservations and submitting claims, are there a series of websites which fall foul of this rule? (you know, like, every single hotel booking website on the planet?)

I got my LFN email response with a link to the Ts & Cs on my booking website (a well known Aussie based one - wot...), and quoting from the webpage:

"We will also send an email to the address you entered confirming the booking details. You must present a copy of this email or the Booking Confirmation page to reception when you check in."

Now, apart from the fact that I have never ever been asked for that confirmation email in the dozens of times I've booked using this (and other) websites, virtually every major travel website I can think of uses words to this effect

So basically, is LFN actually useable outside of the US, or is it just a great big marketing con???
THIS THREAD is proof that the Look No Further guarantee is anything but a marketing ploy: you just need to know where to look. Feel free to PM me with your stay plans and I'll have a look to see if there's anything about or post your requests on THIS THREAD
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kt74

MUCH more difficult outside the US, but doable. Check the sucess thread and you will see plenty of ex-US approved claims.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
THIS THREAD is proof that the Look No Further guarantee is anything but a marketing ploy: you just need to know where to look. Feel free to PM me with your stay plans and I'll have a look to see if there's anything about or post your requests on THIS THREAD
OK, thanks. But I have noticed a paucity of non-US LNF bookings in the last few months (presumably since the voucher clause came into play)

I will post on the other thread, but I guess the issue is not finding lower rates (I've found them!), but finding lower rates on a website that works within the Ts & Cs

Or should I keep submitting the same rate every day until I come across an agent who does not apply the rule?!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
The voucher clause for non USA and Canada hotels has always been there - it's not a recent thing.

Yes, you should try to find rates that work within the T&C's but submitting rates which are not within 'the rules' does no real harm and you might get lucky!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Would this trigger LNF Best Rate Guarantee: Booked a Leisure Rate on Marriott.com. Found the exact same public rate and room details on an online hotel website, however their rate further offers that if you book 5 nights get 2 nights free thus the effective rate is substantially less ($122 less).
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Getting a LNF approved outside the US and Canada is a challenge, but it can be done.

I've had terrible problems getting a property in Europe approved this month. After about 40 tries, I finally got a couple through.

We have also noticed that claims are taking about 12 - 14 hours to turn around -- it used to be only a couple of hours.

Keep at it!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by kmwjes
Would this trigger LNF Best Rate Guarantee: Booked a Leisure Rate on Marriott.com. Found the exact same public rate and room details on an online hotel website, however their rate further offers that if you book 5 nights get 2 nights free thus the effective rate is substantially less ($122 less).
I cannot imagine it will. The rate rules are completely different.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I got various PMs from other FTers asking me the 'trick' to find LNF. So I decided to post here the frequently ask questions about LNF.

Before you start finding the LNF rates, please read and understand the T&C - just google 'marriott look'. You can't play a game if you don't follow the rule.

Here are the FAQs:

Q: Is there a trick to find LNF?
A: No. You need to search for the lower rate. I don't always find a comparison to file LNF.

Q: Is there a magic website that always have lower rate?
A: No.

Q: What about Voucher sites for hotels outside the US? How can I avoid that?
A: In order to determine a site that uses voucher, you need to look at their FAQ or T&C. Pay attention to the part about checking in, if you have to bring a print out document to check-in. Then that's a voucher site. If a site says 'pay at hotel', then it's good for LNF.

Q: I filed a claim from a site that used a currency that is different from the hotel's currency, and I got denied because of currency fluctuation. Why?
A: If the 2 prices are pretty close, then it might be useful to calculate with Marriott's own currency converter here so that you are sure that the comparison rate is lower. Exchange rate can go up and down, so when Marriott reviews your claim the rate might have changed.

LNF is a time consuming process (especially for hotels outside the US), and it takes time to learn.

If you have tried but with no luck, you can post a request on the LNF request thread here at FT. However please don't expect other FTer to spend their precious time to find LNF for you.

If you got your LNF approved, please post it on the successful LNF thread. I benefit from the thread very much and I'm so grateful for all the help I got.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.