Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Daily Getaways/Marriott Travel Cards on 4/18

Daily Getaways/Marriott Travel Cards on 4/18

 
Old Apr 2, 12, 11:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TRI/WAS/CLT
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 351
Daily Getaways/Marriott Travel Cards on 4/18

Several Marriott TravelCard® offers on 4/18: one being $50 for just $44 (150 offered) plus if you pay with AMEX another 10% off

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Calendar.aspx?week=1
kmwjes is offline  
Old Apr 3, 12, 1:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 940
Hi, do they deliver the travel card to Asia?

How to make an online booking/payment with those travel card?

So, if we pay our room with those travel card, will we get the marriott rewards point as usual?
Dolphinyong is offline  
Old Apr 5, 12, 11:15 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago Burbs
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 226
Thanks for posting this! I forgot about it from last year. Great way to stock up on gift cards at 20% off.
AzLarry is offline  
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
seems a nice way to save 10-20%, ^ but I think better rates can be found with advanced planning and watching.
shoreline is offline  
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:50 pm
  #5  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,239
AMEX has a promo for Staples where if you sync your AMEX card and tweet the deal, then spend $50 at Staples, you get $10 back on your AMEX statement. I bought a $50 Marriott card there today. That was an easy 20% savings.

https://twitter.com/#!/AmericanExpress/favorites
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 7, 12, 10:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 604
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
seems a nice way to save 10-20%, ^ but I think better rates can be found with advanced planning and watching.
This card is just a means of payment, rate discounts are totally different.
678flyer is offline  
Old Apr 7, 12, 10:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DCA
Posts: 832
This brings up the ol' discussion about restrictions on Travel Cards (versus Gift Cards which have no restrictions). Anyone know if you can use a Travel Card with a government rate? I think the answer is technically no.

Of course, according to the Ts and Cs, technically nothing but rack rates are acceptable:

Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/non-commissionable rates.
billycwhatup is offline  
Old Apr 7, 12, 11:04 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 317
Oh! Thanks for pointing this out. I was going to try for one of the $1000 cards to pay for an upcoming trip but I have it booked as an AAA rate. I would have been very upset if I had spent the money only to find out that I couldn't use it. I truly appreciate the advice I read on FT...thanks to all of you for sharing your expertise with us newbies.
groobie is offline  
Old Apr 8, 12, 10:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
Posts: 230
I have used Marriott travel cards many times on AAA rates and Friends and family rates as well, never had a problem..
owner1 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 12, 7:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74
I need this. My plan is to book at full rack rate using a 250 and 100 gift card, then paying the difference on my Credit Card. After paying the full rack rate, file a BRG claim and have difference refunded to my credit card minus the new rate and taxes.

From this point, I'd like to upgrade my room to a suite, paying 5k points a night.

My question is can I upgrade a BRG rate using 5k points (Booking in tier 7 grand cayman).

Can I use two gift cards to pay for a single booking?

Secondly, I don't have an AMEX! I have 10 Visas and 2 MCs but no Amexs. Can I purchase an Amex gift card and still receive the additional 10% off?
cdavis5711 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 12, 8:42 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DCA
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by cdavis5711 View Post
I need this. My plan is to book at full rack rate using a 250 and 100 gift card, then paying the difference on my Credit Card. After paying the full rack rate, file a BRG claim and have difference refunded to my credit card minus the new rate and taxes.

From this point, I'd like to upgrade my room to a suite, paying 5k points a night.

My question is can I upgrade a BRG rate using 5k points (Booking in tier 7 grand cayman).

Can I use two gift cards to pay for a single booking?

Secondly, I don't have an AMEX! I have 10 Visas and 2 MCs but no Amexs. Can I purchase an Amex gift card and still receive the additional 10% off?
So many parts of your post are absurd - particularly the 10 Visa part - but that is barely the wackiest. I think you're not in the area code of understanding the BRG (which presumably means "best rate guarantee" to you although in Marriott lexicon it's the "LNF" or "Look No Further" rate).

Anyway, I could give you the details as to why your scheme is whacked, but it would be more fun for you to give it a whirl and report back.
billycwhatup is offline  
Old Apr 12, 12, 3:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
So many parts of your post are absurd - particularly the 10 Visa part - but that is barely the wackiest. I think you're not in the area code of understanding the BRG (which presumably means "best rate guarantee" to you although in Marriott lexicon it's the "LNF" or "Look No Further" rate).

Anyway, I could give you the details as to why your scheme is whacked, but it would be more fun for you to give it a whirl and report back.
Thanks [email protected]#hole! I never claimed to be proficient at Marriott Rewards. It was a simple question that you replied with nothing but arrogance.
cdavis5711 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 12, 7:46 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DCA
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by cdavis5711 View Post
Thanks [email protected]#hole! I never claimed to be proficient at Marriott Rewards. It was a simple question that you replied with nothing but arrogance.

There was nothing simple about your question, Sunshine. Although, simple is actually a description of something else.

Do you actually have 10 Visa cards? Dare I ask why?
billycwhatup is offline  
Old Apr 13, 12, 9:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by billycwhatup View Post
There was nothing simple about your question, Sunshine. Although, simple is actually a description of something else.

Do you actually have 10 Visa cards? Dare I ask why?
Between me and my wife, yes. We "Churn" cards to obtain miles. I just got a 70K Marriott Visa for both of us. On average we both have about 5-6 cards each, per quarter.

And I'm "simple" because I asked a question? The only thing you had to offer was an insult and you refer to me as "simple"? The only positive thing you have offered so far is showing how much of a d%$k you are.

My plan was:
1. to buy Marriott Gift Cards at a discount
2. Purchase a room on Marriott.com
3. Apply for " Look No Further® Best Rate Guarantee" BRG! From their website
4. Upgrade my room to a junior suite/ ocean view room using 5k additional points per night (I am a Platinum Member so I automatically get one free upgrade)

Seems very complicated!
cdavis5711 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 12, 4:12 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Posts: 585
From what I have gathered there, Marriott Travel Cards and Marriott Gift Cards are two different things right? Kind of like the old saying apples and oranges. My second question is are the travel cards strictly to be used for room rate charges only? Or is it applied to the whole bill (including incidentals) at the end of ones stay? Also, could I use said travel cards to purchase Marriott gift cards assuming they are two different forms of payment? It has been awhile, but I thought I could buy Marriott gift cards at the front desk of Marriott hotels.

Thanks for the help as I don't know anything about MR anymore.
bthobe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: