Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Any hotel staff at the lounge door or desk checking?
There was a staff member at the door, but she wasn't checking at that time. Sometimes they'd check at breakfast, but we only had two of us then.
Old May 14, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unless the booking is made as a Master Billing (not direct billing) then she should be able to present her account number at check in and get the credit. There have been stories about managers booking employees under their account to collect the points. This is not in accordance to the T&Cs. If someone else is trying to bank points/nights, they may not like you changing the account.

The difference between Master Billing and Direct Billing, is if many rooms are on the same bill set up by the company (five would be questionable) IME typically set up for conferences and the such is Master Billing. Direct Billing is where individual bills are sent to the company per room, usually for site visits.
even if the hotel is being paid by your wife's company, i.e. master billing, Marriott will likely ask for her credit card to cover incidentals if she charges anything. So definitely give your MR number for the night points.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Gold, LH SEN
Question

Originally Posted by Duke787
Thanks both of you for the advice. To follow-up I called MR and asked their advice in how to proceed. They advised me to call reservations and put the room on hold but instruct them not to pull points from my account. This would allow a record to be created and the room to held and then I was able to just have my Dad call in and transfer the full amount needed (120k) to cover the room using the once a year exception to the 50k threshold.
Really appreciate if any of you can clarify. I have Gold and my partner has no status but enough points to cover two nights during a quick trip to Bangkok.

It seems I could 1) have him book the room in my name and then when we check in I could show my Gold card or 2) do what Duke787 did and put a reservation on hold then have the points pulled from my partners account?

Is this effectively the same thing or will option 2 assure Gold benefits? Also, over the year we have both transferred points (up to the 50,000) so is option 2 still available to us?

Thanks,
Yasmine
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Update: Two different MR customer service agents over the phone told me that members cant get elite benefits even if room booked in my name with a partner/friends points.
Got same message from thief twitter team. Seems inconsistent with many experiences here, nonetheless speaks to what may happen at individual properties.

Also, want to add that the one time per year points transfer (beyond the 50,000 cap) for immediate redemption worked perfectly and will allow us to use my MR benefits.

Last edited by DXBtraveller1987; Jun 21, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DXBtraveller1987
Update: Two different MR customer service agents over the phone told me that members cant get elite benefits even if room booked in my name with a partner/friends points.
Got same message from thief twitter team. Seems inconsistent with many experiences here, nonetheless speaks to what may happen at individual properties.

Also, want to add that the one time per year points transfer (beyond the 50,000 cap) for immediate redemption worked perfectly and will allow us to use my MR benefits.
Just keep in mind the CSRs/Twitter team do not work at a property. As has been reported, YMMV. A polite request showing your Gold card just might get you what you want.

I'm presuming "thief twitter team" was a typo, but interesting.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm presuming "thief twitter team" was a typo, but interesting.
I noticed that too and was wondering.......
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I noticed that too and was wondering.......
You caught me!

yes, it was a typo
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I was wondering if i booked a room using points but I am a gold member will i still get free breakfast and lounge access?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
yes absolutely
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I was wondering if i booked a room using points but I am a gold member will i still get free breakfast and lounge access?
I always have, so yes.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Following these same lines, is the free breakfast just for me, the gold member or do others in the room also get a free breakfast (i.e., husband and daughter age 19)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think per the T&Cs, the breakfast benefit is for the Gold/Plat elite plus one though some hotels might go above and beyond to offer free breakfast for everyone in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.