Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by manico
So if I book a hotel in my name, but add my Dad to the reservation (same last name) or call in to the hotel, then my Dad should be able to get the better benefits and I'll get the points even though I'll never show up? I have a situation where I'm trying to book a decent room for my parents but I won't be traveling with them and they don't have status (I'm Gold).
They are not supposed to get your benefits, but too many properties mess up and don't check. If you want to be sure they get a better room, book a better room. It's going to be luck of the draw on what the FDC will end up doing.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:14 pm

We were 0-2 in attempting that. My wife had the status, and I was checking in a day early twice. Neither time was my key activated to access the lounge until she arrived the next night. Of course ymmv...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeags
We were 0-2 in attempting that. My wife had the status, and I was checking in a day early twice. Neither time was my key activated to access the lounge until she arrived the next night. Of course ymmv...
Definitely ymmv. We have a regular hotel we stay at for a office the husband visits abut twice a year. It's quite common for me to drop him at work then head to the hotel with the car and bags to check in and they are fine. Others want to see him in person. Note that I legitimately often arrive at hotels before him and I am not lying when I say he'll be there later.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
How does this apply to reward stays? Going to London with my parents next summer and my Dad has enough Marriott points for the 4 night stay but has no status. I have Platinum so we want to make sure we get the lounge access / breakfast (whole reason to book Marriott over comparable hotels or even AirBnB).

Can I just flash the Platinum at the desk upon check-in and get us these benefits even though we use my Dad's points?

FWIW, despite change in Marriott policy we can't just transfer points as the 4 night stay is well in excess of the 50k point transfer cap.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Duke787
How does this apply to reward stays? Going to London with my parents next summer and my Dad has enough Marriott points for the 4 night stay but has no status. I have Platinum so we want to make sure we get the lounge access / breakfast (whole reason to book Marriott over comparable hotels or even AirBnB).

Can I just flash the Platinum at the desk upon check-in and get us these benefits even though we use my Dad's points?

FWIW, despite change in Marriott policy we can't just transfer points as the 4 night stay is well in excess of the 50k point transfer cap.
The few times I've done a stay and the room was not booked under my account, all I did was politely ask at the front desk when we were checking in and showing my Plat card. I wasn't demanding access and didn't feel I was entitled to it, but the FDC granted access.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
First, Marriott will allow a once a year transfer of more than 50K if you need the points for an award. So that is still an option.

But with that said, just have your Dad call MR and put the reservations in your name and order the award for you. Marriott will allow someone to order an award for someone else's use.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:25 pm

I hope this is the right thread to ask this.
We're going to the Tel Aviv Renaissance in December. We're going with my mom and sister, and thus two rooms. I'm Platinum. My mom is Gold thanks to the arrangement with United.

She will have 3 stays. The first is a point reservation booked with her points. My understanding is that she will have full benefits as far as lounge and restaurant breakfast for her +1. The second is a point stay, but I gave her the points. The reservation shows up under my account with her as the guest (and me, should I change it to my sister, since I'll be in my own room?). Will she get the lounge/restaurant benefits for her status even though my points made the reservation (she tells me it's my gift of thanks for raising me. I won't tell you what I said back)?

The third stay is on her dollars, just FYI.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The few times I've done a stay and the room was not booked under my account, all I did was politely ask at the front desk when we were checking in and showing my Plat card. I wasn't demanding access and didn't feel I was entitled to it, but the FDC granted access.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
First, Marriott will allow a once a year transfer of more than 50K if you need the points for an award. So that is still an option.

But with that said, just have your Dad call MR and put the reservations in your name and order the award for you. Marriott will allow someone to order an award for someone else's use.
Thanks both of you for the advice. To follow-up I called MR and asked their advice in how to proceed. They advised me to call reservations and put the room on hold but instruct them not to pull points from my account. This would allow a record to be created and the room to held and then I was able to just have my Dad call in and transfer the full amount needed (120k) to cover the room using the once a year exception to the 50k threshold.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:02 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking to book a trip in Europe with the 3 of my friends. I'm Gold, and one other person is Gold. The Marriott we are staying at can accommodate 4 people in one room. The room will be booked under my name. I know i can access lounge and +1, but can my friend with gold access the lounge as well and bring in the 4th person?

Thank you
Old May 1, 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by pinkdog
Hello all,

I'm looking to book a trip in Europe with the 3 of my friends. I'm Gold, and one other person is Gold. The Marriott we are staying at can accommodate 4 people in one room. The room will be booked under my name. I know i can access lounge and +1, but can my friend with gold access the lounge as well and bring in the 4th person?

Thank you
I don't know if it's official, but my husband and I were at the Rive Gauche Marriott. I'm platinum and he's gold, and we brought in my sister and her three kids (all over 13) with no problem.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinkdog
Hello all,

Thank you
Generally, only the registered Gold member and +1 get free access. There can be a charge for any more. Now, IME, I have never been charged for extra guests staying at the same property, in my room or otherwise. YMMV and what's going on at the property and how you act while there may decide if they wish to go beyond the rules and grant access to everyone you know. Just don't get upset if they follow the rules.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
clarification, thanks in advance

My wife (different last name) is making a booking using MR points. She has no status, I have gold. Should I have her make the booking in my name in order for us both to be able to use club lounge? She cant transfer the points to me because its more than 50,000. I assume if reservation has me listed on it then I will just have to show the gold card to get lounge benefits? Thanks, D
Old May 14, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Development
My wife (different last name) is making a booking using MR points. She has no status, I have gold. Should I have her make the booking in my name in order for us both to be able to use club lounge? She cant transfer the points to me because its more than 50,000. I assume if reservation has me listed on it then I will just have to show the gold card to get lounge benefits? Thanks, D
The registered guest should determine what benefits are available. She can book a room under your name and then you call the property to get your number added to the rez. They may push back saying the account the points are coming from needs to be listed. The few times where someone else booked the room, I've never been denied my on-site benefits (being higher than the other). So have your card or cell app available when checking in and ask nicely.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Development
I was at a Marriott suites with my sister, booked via hotels.com under her name. I didn't get points or nights, but I did get benefits (wifi, breakfast). I may have called the hotel and added my MR number, but the booking stayed under her hotels.com account.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by abbydancer
I don't know if it's official, but my husband and I were at the Rive Gauche Marriott. I'm platinum and he's gold, and we brought in my sister and her three kids (all over 13) with no problem.
Any hotel staff at the lounge door or desk checking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.