Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Marriottt Tempe at The Buttes [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold

Considering a stay at this property next month. Any feedback much appreciated. Is there a lounge? I was downgraded to Gold from Platinum last week--any chance for upgrade? Any info pertaining to the property and perhaps dining options nearby would be great. Thanks very much.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
If you are going for a relaxing weekend or even travelling for business but plan on having a good amount of time to yourself it is a great value for the money. The property is a bit dated in terms of style but it has a great (actually awesome) pool, a cool outdoor bar area, a decent onsite restaurant, and (at worst) comfortable rooms. Given the time of year I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but I've had somewhat surprising success in the past so you never know.

This is one of my favorite US properties for a quick weekend off. I've always enjoyed my time there.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DillMan
If you are going for a relaxing weekend or even travelling for business but plan on having a good amount of time to yourself it is a great value for the money. The property is a bit dated in terms of style but it has a great (actually awesome) pool, a cool outdoor bar area, a decent onsite restaurant, and (at worst) comfortable rooms. Given the time of year I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but I've had somewhat surprising success in the past so you never know.

This is one of my favorite US properties for a quick weekend off. I've always enjoyed my time there.
We would actually be spending six nights vacationing. Is there a lounge or do they give you coupons for breakfast buffet? Like the idea of a great pool area however the very dated rooms doesn't sound too inviting--hopefully they're very clean. Would definitely dine at the property some of the time and hopefully will get some suggestions for good places to eat nearby. Thanks for your comments.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
When I was there a few years ago; comped breakfast, no lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: SWA A-List and CP Holder, HHonors Diamond VIP
Two thumbs up for sure, the pool area is great and there are a few hot tubs scattered about on the hill...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by derby44
We would actually be spending six nights vacationing. Is there a lounge or do they give you coupons for breakfast buffet? Like the idea of a great pool area however the very dated rooms doesn't sound too inviting--hopefully they're very clean. Would definitely dine at the property some of the time and hopefully will get some suggestions for good places to eat nearby. Thanks for your comments.
They don't have a lounge but Plats do get a comped breakfast in the lobby restaurant. The breakfast is actually pretty good too.

The rooms are indeed clean, but the decor of the hotel itself and inside the rooms is, as I said earlier, a bit dated. The common areas use a lot of 70s-era dark colors (dark brown, organes, etc.) but the restaurants have been updated recently. The lobby structure and tunnel connecting the lobby structure to the hotel are actually built in to the rock of the hill. The main complex is three buildings: a lobby structure with a cafe, gift shop and the breakfast restaurant. The nice restaurant is further up the hill in its own building. The main guest rooms are opposite the "valley" and connected to the lobby building via either a tunnel carved in to the rock or a skybridge. In between is the pool area with a "relax" side and a "play" side, both at the bottom of the valley and connected via a pseudo-tunnel of glassed-in water you can swim through. There's also a water slide further up in hill in addition to a pool bar and cafe located just below the bridge level.

The rooms are furnished in a tropical and light motif. The finish materials are that white-wash stain looking finish I remember from my childhood (kind of white, kind of brown, kind of transparent I guess). They have modern furnishings such as an LCD TV and typical Marriott bed though.

All-in-all it isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but it is totally enjoyable for a quick getaway. I bet you'll have a great time.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Do Gold members receive breakfast X2
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exeutive Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier
To each his own but I will never stay at this property again. My experience was that it's a nonstop party place with loud college age crowds going into the wee hours of the morning. My brother stayed at a completely different time of the year and encountered the same situation. I'm sure others will report that they had a different experience but that was mine and this property is on my "never again" list.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here a year ago at the end of spring break. Had the place to ourselves, enjoyed the pool, hot tub, etc. It was a long way to restaurants, shopping. Nice place :-:to sit and read, tho.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
I stayed at this hotel every week for most of last year. They give breakfast coupons to Platinums only, not golds. They are a resort, so not required to do anything. You have to ask for an upgrade, but they will give them to you. The restaurant is awesome. I've never had much of a problem with noise, the one time we did, we called security and they asked them to leave the pool area
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I stayed at this hotel every week for most of last year. They give breakfast coupons to Platinums only, not golds. They are a resort, so not required to do anything. You have to ask for an upgrade, but they will give them to you. The restaurant is awesome. I've never had much of a problem with noise, the one time we did, we called security and they asked them to leave the pool area
Not being comped breakfast as gold may lead me not to stay here. The hotels website describes it as a resort style hotel not an actual resort. Will have to give it more thought. Thanks to all for your comments.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
They give breakfast coupons to Platinums only, not golds.
I've added this property to the exec lounge open/closed sticky since it wasn't listed before, and provided the above information. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question Recent Experiences at the Buttes?

Planning to be in Scottsdale in the Fall and have read many varying opinions about The Buttes, ranging from great to poor. Most of the postings prior to this year talked about road noise and a barrier being built. Is this still a problem and has a road barrier been built? Comments as to the Buttes from someone who has stayed there in the fall or winter of 2012 would be very welcome. Recommendations as to room location request? The hotel location is where I need to be for this trip.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
The Buttes is in Tempe, which is about is about a 20 minute drive to most parts of Scottsdale. There are a number of properties in/closer to Scottsdale.

Regarding the Buttes - I have stayed extensively at this hotel over the last couple of years. To be honest, I always felt people were 'perceiving' road noise more than they were actually hearing it. I have stayed resort side as well as highway side and I don't feel the highway noise can be heard at all.

The rooms have gotten new beds and TV's in the last year.

If you have status, no matter what you book, you will be placed resort side and noise will not be an issue. Since it's not summer, pool noise is not an issue either. I really like the 6000 room blocks, but I don't engage in hotel amenities much and don't mind the walk.

Originally Posted by marlee1421
Planning to be in Scottsdale in the Fall and have read many varying opinions about The Buttes, ranging from great to poor. Most of the postings prior to this year talked about road noise and a barrier being built. Is this still a problem and has a road barrier been built? Comments as to the Buttes from someone who has stayed there in the fall or winter of 2012 would be very welcome. Recommendations as to room location request? The hotel location is where I need to be for this trip.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
The highway noise is real, if you're on that side of the property. But the Buttes is a nice property, especially when it's warm enough to use the pool. It's amazing they don't have an airport shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.