Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to use a Freee 1 night Cat1-4 Cert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue

For the first time ever I got a free 1 night cat 1-4 cert in the fall mega bonus. It needs to be used by end March.

So I looked on-line to reserve a night but saw no way to book using the cert. So I call Marriott Rewards and they said I had to book by phone. So I booked the night and clearly stated that I wanted the mega bonus free night cert to be applied to the booking at the cat 4 hotel I had selected.

Now the reservation shows up in my list of upcoming reservations.

BUT.

1. It shows 20,000 points will be deducted from my account. However they have not yet been deducted.

2. On the reservation details it states: "You do not have eCertificates for this reservation. Order eCertificates. If you have not ordered eCertificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, eCertificates will be auto-ordered for you.

Marriott Rewards told me it takes 24 hours for the free night cert to be applied to the reservation. Why? Surely there should be a better, simpler way to do this?

Will this free night cert get applied to the reservation I made or will it cost me the points?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I think it's a bug in the system. It shows points but it will use the cert.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:02 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
In the past, when booking by phone, it has in fact taken up to 24 hours for the cert to show as being attached to the reservation. I received an e-mail confirmation once this was done.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by qwest01
For the first time ever I got a free 1 night cat 1-4 cert in the fall mega bonus. It needs to be used by end March.
Are you sure? Mine are expiring until end of May.

2011 Visa MegaBonus Free Night Certificate, Cat 1-4 hotel — 05/31/2012
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:27 am

I used 4 MegaBonus 1-4 category nights last fall and had to call to redeem them rather than have MR points deductions and confusion.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
OP

Your E-certs when applied at a CAT4 property is worth 20K points. The points will be covered by the e-cert, so none will be taken from your personal account.

It does take 24 hours--the e-cert will be sent electronically to your hotel of your choice.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i called one in, and the reservation shows "promotional certificate" as reward description.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by eleeut
i called one in, and the reservation shows "promotional certificate" as reward description.
The booking is now using the cert - took 48 hours to happen.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
To answer your original question... you can usually* book online. Just go thru the steps to make a points reservation and right at the end, before you confirm, there will be an option to use a cert.

* Some of us have had a heck of a time lately with this randomly not working then working again. Sometimes the certs just don't show up as an option.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Whenever I've booked MegaBonus nights online and later spoke to a phone agent, they've always made modifications to the reservation and told me the MegaBonus certs need to redeemed over the phone. I don't know if that means the online reservations wouldn't have worked, but it sounds like the company line is to book by phone.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:29 am

I think I had this problem once. I booked a dummy cancelable reservation to use up most of my points and then booked my one night stay and not having the points forced use of the cert. Then I cancelled the dummy and got the points back. At least that's how I remember it. Memory isn't as good as it once was. Maybe I imagined it.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by maize&blue
I don't know if that means the online reservations wouldn't have worked, but it sounds like the company line is to book by phone.
It's worked for me in the past but only when the option was actually offered, which isn't all the time. No problem at check-in, if I could actually book it.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:06 am

Worked for me just the other day when I booked reward reservations to use my MegaBonus free nights in May. The last screen showed that I could use the certificates if I clicked the radio button.

In fact, if I remember correctly, it was already clicked as the default.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by qwest01
Will this free night cert get applied to the reservation I made or will it cost me the points?
You will be fine. Last year I used one of my certificates (on the night it expired) to make a reservation just before driving to the hotel, and everything still worked perfectly. (I did get the same message on the website, and it took the front desk half a minute longer than usual, but they knew what to do.)

Here is another thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ows-using.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.