Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
This was my point by linking to the SPG list. At least they are honest about raising and lowering properties -- Sorry Socrates, but this time I am not in your camp.
my camp? I didn't state an opinion - I only pointed out that distribution of HOT hotels was vastly different than MAR's and wouldn't make a valid comp....so no worries
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
This was more to illustrate in which categories the hotels went up/down.
I know. Great job.

Marriott: If you really want to soften the blow, why don't you do what SPG did last year and Hilton has been doing for some time now -- permit award nights to count towards attaining/requalification of elite status.

This would at least lessen the fact that many hotels that were usable with the Megabonus and Visa free night certificates can no longer be used at those properties, and the properties that you have elevated in their place are pale imitations of their value/location, etc.

With award nights counting towards elite status, we would at least have some better use of these now greatly devalued e-certificates.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
thanks for posting...can't believe some of the changes UP..especially the PHL Airport FS..give me a break, they don't even have WiFi in the rooms Not to mention, it needs a redo....

some of the other changes are nuts too...can't believe it......sheesh....

again, thanks to the concierge team for posting....but can someone please offer a suggestion as why i should remain loyal now that i have LT plat status (though it would be nice if i actually had a current card-it's been many weeks since i requested a new card, but i digress..)

Hmmmm *wood? Hyatt??/ Hilton??? ICH?? whomever has the best rate please.....

Last edited by megtravels; Feb 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Brilliant way to significantly devalue the program, without anyone noticing.

Most significant for those of us with Marriott credit card--many enticing level 5 properties where can can use our free annual one night certificate now become level 6s.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:39 pm

yup I noticed that as well.
This year I enticed all of my fam members(6 of them) to get the Marriott cc just to get that Cat5 voucher. Turns out we will ALL be cancelling our card in a few months... unfortunate... IC card looks excellent however. 80k to boot and an annual free night that can be used at *ANY* (read any hotel in their portfolio including ICs) all over the world. I think I(we, as well as friends and associates) are sold!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by libuser
yup

IC card looks excellent however. 80k to boot and an annual free night that can be used at *ANY* (read any hotel in their portfolio including ICs) all over the world. I think I(we, as well as friends and associates) are sold!
Hmmmm. Where have I read this before?

You forgot that it is only $49.00/year.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by libuser
huge devaluation. All of the Cat4 gems are going up in category. I shall list the blows to elites once again:

- removed EEO (no advance notice)
- will soon remove 135k/$1k (almost no advance notice - we had to come up with it)
- removed a/i packages (no advance notice)
- removed US Air FF programs (received advance notice I believe - AA is the big loser here)
- same old promos(while other chains come up with great promos)
- downgraded property(Cat 4 to Cat 5) with no advanced notice(JW MI)
- Huge devaluation now(advance notice but does it matter at this stage)
what is that?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
will soon remove 135k/$1k (almost no advance notice - we had to come up with it)
Originally Posted by travel.flier
what is that?
It's for elites - use 135K points to get $1k Marriott cheques.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by megtravels
thanks for posting...can't believe some of the changes UP..especially the PHL Airport FS..give me a break, they don't even have WiFi in the rooms Not to mention, it needs a redo....
It's not about a hotels physical conditions, star rankings etc - it's only about the number of points redeemed versus awarded at a hotel and airport hotels award a large number of points so there must be a large number of redemptions at this hotel regardless of condition & amenities
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
It's for elites - use 135K points to get $1k Marriott cheques.
And I must of missed where we were told it is going away? Can someone provide a link to that post? Where did libuser get that information? I don't remember any annoucement posts on this.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Weird that they make the changes half way through Q1, why not just make it all effective 1/1?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
This really kills the megabonus promtions for me. I've mostly used the Cat1-4 certs to stay at the fairfield inns at JFK and LGA before an early morning flight. Now I'll either get up earlier to drive right to the airport or maybe going out of BDL more often.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Weird that they make the changes half way through Q1, why not just make it all effective 1/1?
I don't know. FWIW, this is the time of the year they have always done Cat/Tier changes over the past few years.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
And I must of missed where we were told it is going away? Can someone provide a link to that post? Where did libuser get that information? I don't remember any announcement posts on this.
Perhaps libuser was reliving the panic that occurs at the end of each year about the pending Elite Member offer expiration. It is around until Dec 31, 2012, just like last year when it was around until Dec 31, 2011. We can enjoy the December panic thread again in about 8-9 months; no need to start now. From MR web site:

Marriott Cheques

Code: E195

For Elite Members Only
SAVE 28% on $1,000 in Marriott Cheques

The choice is yours through December 31, 2012.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Feb 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm Reason: Changed nacho to libuser
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Perhaps Nacho was reliving the panic that occurs at the end of each year about the pending Elite Member offer expiration.
I wondered if that was the issue or if there had been some specific notification that I hadn't seen. (As it is a bit early for the annual "sky is falling" posts.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.