Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes I can book the rooms again at CY HK (it wasn't available a couple of days ago), but how do you know that CY HK won't be Cat 5 March 2013 at the category change next year?
Keep talking about it, people flock to it to redeem and according to their head scratching formula, it WILL move up!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if Marriott keeps to it's latest notices, they'll provide such catagory increase notices in mid-February of 2013 allowing you until mid-March 2013 to make Cat 4 reservations throughout the year

Originally Posted by nacho
..............but how do you know that CY HK won't be Cat 5 March 2013 at the category change next year?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Ok, new question. Looking to book an award stay at a property that is moving up a category. Not sure at this point, but will either be 2 or 3 nights. If I book 3 now, and try to drop a night after 3/15 - will that cause a re-pricing to the higher rate?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by msuroo
Ok, new question. Looking to book an award stay at a property that is moving up a category. Not sure at this point, but will either be 2 or 3 nights. If I book 3 now, and try to drop a night after 3/15 - will that cause a re-pricing to the higher rate?
Easiest solution is to book 2 nights under one reservation and the third night as a separate reservation.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mjh5o
Easiest solution is to book 2 nights under one reservation and the third night as a separate reservation.
Duh, I'm an idiot. Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by joshua362
Keep talking about it, people flock to it to redeem and according to their head scratching formula, it WILL move up!
The hotel has been discussed a lot at the 'best cat 4 hotel' thread

Also why would people suddenly flock to somewhere unplanned just because they 'suspect' a hotel would move up 1 cat?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I believe the CY Waikiki is going up to a 5.

However, there is a new CY at OGG that is a Cat 4.

As for the CY in Kauai, I believe that Honu is correct. It was a Hilton or Hampton? prior to its incarnation as a Marriott family property and it is midway between the aiport and the Na Pali coast where the St. Regis is, I believe. It is not where the Kauai Marriott nor where the Vacation properties are near the Hyatt.
Back to this thread. If it's the one I think of, the current CY in Kapa'a was a Hilton for probably less than 2 yrs. Before that it was a Radisson, and before then it was an independent property which showed up a lot in cheapo flight-hotel packages. Not the greatest beach in Kaua'i, and it gets pretty windy there, but hopefully they did a good renovation.

Does anyone know when the CY OGG will be available? I checked the web site as far as next January, but there was no mention of it. To be fair, Kahului is really not where you want to be when you're on holiday on Maui. However, a nice airport hotel instead of the two older ones that are there now (Maui Seaside and Maui Beach) is a nice option if you have an early am flight.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Just a reminder to book your stays before the Category changes. I think these will kick in at midnight tonight. So act quick!

Regards,

RIP...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks, just did a few. Vacation clubs in MCO a double whammy since most are going 6 to 7 and most require a 10k or 15k PER NIGHT upgrade on top of the category creep...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No penalty to cancel! Might as well book em up.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by OU812
Just a reminder to book your stays before the Category changes. I think these will kick in at midnight tonight. So act quick!

Regards,

RIP...
Just tried to book at 11PM and the increase has already kicked in
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Again, these changes will go in to effect starting Thursday, March 15, 2012 so any reservations made prior to March 15 will be honored at the current category. If you have an existing redemption reservation at a hotel that is decreasing in category, you may call Marriott Rewards® Customer Support at 801-468-4000 to adjust the reservation after March 15.

Thanks and safe travels!
Andy & the Marriott Rewards team
I just made a couple of reservations tonight being Wednesday March 14th and the points have already increased.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:16 pm

hmm
Ren TA is still Cat5 after midnite. Some hotels still show the old Cats.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just did JR Marriott Guanacoste and Courtyard SF Downtown, got the old points (on the phone). Email shows right points, and it did when I made the reservation, 10 minutes later, it shows the new points. Luckily the email is dated 3/14.

It's 10:22 Pacific, 1:22 AM eastern

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by socrates
if you make a reservation today and a hotel is category X but at check-in the hotel is category Y you'll still be charged the number of points for a category X stay
This is NOT true! I have a reservation at the Ko Olina Beach Club that I made a long time ago. And when I went in and looked at the reservation today, it has been changed to show the new category thus needing more points.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't actually "buy" the certs yet with the points since I didn't have enough points yet for the whole reservation.

This sucks because now I won't have enough points before the trip and we just bought our airline tickets. I am going to have to switch to the Marriott Waikiki for the whole trip. :-(

And the Cat 4 certs I was planning on using at the CY Waikiki from a megabonus promo that I will get from a trip next week are useless.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiew; Mar 16, 2012 at 9:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.