Bad Web Site Gets Worse

Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Thumbs up The Nightmare is Ending!

Part of the nightmare appears to be over...

When going to the Marriott Site today, the Wheel of Idiocy display for upcoming reservations seems to be gone. There is, instead, an easy to read graphics free chart showing all my upcoming reservations.

Hopefully, the geniuses that wasted Marriott's money implementing the horrible and, likely, expensive disaster this replaces will never again be allowed near the Website. Marriott, too, hopefully learned to ask customers about what's easy to use, rather than pay consultants for a study that results in the consultants getting a contract to do expensive work. Hopefully they've learned we use their Website as a quick, easy business tool, rather than as an entertainment, gaming or shopping site.

Now if Marriott could just start fixing the rest of the site, starting with making the Rewards number visible from all screens, things might get even better.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
When I sign in to my account I get a grey box that has a number of options including "upcoming reservations." Clicking on that gives me only my next reservation instead of "upcoming reservations." To see all reservations I have to click again on "view all upcoming reservations." For some unknown reason that line of text is a very light blue color on the grey background in a tiny font so it is more difficult to read than the other choices. Nevertheless, clicking on it brought up my reservations in a single list (I only have two at the moment).

But what I don't understand is how a major company can screw up a Web site so badly as Marriott did and take so long to fix it. Even now one has to click twice to see a list of reservations. And if anyone has a visual disability the text size and color of "view all upcoming reservations" must be nearly impossible to read without adjusting the screen size. Why make things so complicated? Why would a designer use such light blue tiny font on a grey background?

Clicking on "awards account activity" provides an experience as above. How many people want to see only the last transaction rather than a list of recent transactions? Why not make this simple as in click once and you get the information?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HereAndThere
When I sign in to my account I get a grey box that has a number of options including "upcoming reservations." Clicking on that gives me only my next reservation instead of "upcoming reservations." To see all reservations I have to click again on "view all upcoming reservations." For some unknown reason that line of text is a very light blue color on the grey background in a tiny font so it is more difficult to read than the other choices. Nevertheless, clicking on it brought up my reservations in a single list (I only have two at the moment).

But what I don't understand is how a major company can screw up a Web site so badly as Marriott did and take so long to fix it. Even now one has to click twice to see a list of reservations. And if anyone has a visual disability the text size and color of "view all upcoming reservations" must be nearly impossible to read without adjusting the screen size. Why make things so complicated? Why would a designer use such light blue tiny font on a grey background?

Clicking on "awards account activity" provides an experience as above. How many people want to see only the last transaction rather than a list of recent transactions? Why not make this simple as in click once and you get the information?
I'm not happy with all the things MR IT has been doing or not doing as the case may be, but in their defense:

"Previewing" the next reservation is not a bad idea. And showing the last point posting lets you know if the postings are happening. More data is available by clicking the links.

Nothing is going to meet everyone's needs, but they are FINALLY making updates promissed a long time ago.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Ironically, iMO, before they started messing with it, Marriott had a pretty good site. It was easy to use and clear to read.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Credit where credit is due.

The new upcoming reservations section is easy to use, does not require lots of extra clicks, and displays nearly all of my upcoming reservations on a single page. Yes!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
no more "last transaction" on Account Activity page

Now instead of displaying details about the last transaction, there is a link. licking the link brings a small pop-up window with the info that until very recently was on the main My Account Overview page (sorry - subject is wrong, but I don't know how to edit it!)

Seems like they are still tinkering!

Last edited by caldrich; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm Reason: corrected "Account Activity" page to "My Account Overview" page
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I very much like the new upcoming reservation page view, showing all the reservations on one page rather the 3 by 3 list view, which was really annoying.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Thumbs down roomkey.com SUCKS!

Originally Posted by megtravels
yup..sorry, i have been preoccupied with attempting to get the *$^W#($*&^Q website to accept dates...Arrrghh....

i hate autocomplete unless i WANT it to autocomplete....and for some reason, it was doing this with Chrome, IE and the fox....

it wasn't broken...what possessed them to FIX it...???

the only res site i hate more is *wood...

Wonder if the bleeping up of the website is at all related to the launch of roomkey.com? i think i will just go through that to get into marriott.com

(if y'all haven't seen/heard of it, roomkey.com is a joint venture of Hilton, IHG, marriott, choice, wyndham and hyatt...a nice neat, clean way to see all the brands without 9000000 other extraneous pieces of $%!^ )
I started receiving roomkey.com pop-ups on my desktop this morning when initiating reservations searches on marriott.com. Very annoying. This is only happening on my desktop. Both my desktop and laptop are running Firefox 15.0.1. Also after the roomkey.com pop up, all of the rate pages back on marriott.com are reformatted in a low graphics format, using font for the blind, and with the search criteria on the right hand side of the page.

I have spent the past few hours trying to get rid of the roomkey.com pop ups and get my marriott.com rate pages back to their normal format, but with absolutely no success. The only thing I did discover is that it is from a java script on marriott.com, but I need java script running for a multitude of things so only turned it off as a temporary measure. I also used ....... Plus to block roomkey.com but the pop-up still occurs, but is just blank. I have Firefox's pop-up blocker turned on, but it obviously doesn't help.

Below are a few links that I found on the subject which may be helpful to others should this occur with them. I have not yet found a solution and would welcome suggestions:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169466
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...dot-com-2.html

Also here is a link to their FB page. Others want to get this pop-up to stop, but roomkey won't provide steps and ask that you send them a PM or email. I have emailed them for steps to disable this in Firefox.

https://www.facebook.com/RoomKey?filter=2
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've been getting room key pop-ups for a while on my laptop running IE. It's a pain. I'm already on the site & either trying to book a room via the regular Marriott booking engine, so why do I need roomkey's help? I close out the roomkey pop-up, but haven't really noticed anything different in the format once I do that.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1 (w/o valediction).........

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've been getting room key pop-ups for a while on my laptop running IE. It's a pain. I'm already on the site & either trying to book a room via the regular Marriott booking engine, so why do I need roomkey's help? I close out the roomkey pop-up, but haven't really noticed anything different in the format once I do that.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
+1 I thought it was a Yahoo generated thing.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
That annoying RoomKey pops up on various hotel websites. I believe that they are contractually required to move part of their traffic to this website.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
why? with all the LNF/BRG programs one would think they'd try and keep the inventory closer to "home"...........

Originally Posted by holtju2
That annoying RoomKey pops up on various hotel websites. I believe that they are contractually required to move part of their traffic to this website.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
why? with all the LNF/BRG programs one would think they'd try and keep the inventory closer to "home"...........
Some sort of joint venture to combat Expedia's et al.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So it sounds like the hotel sites are taking the path of the commercial sites like AOL. We are no longer customers but a commodity and access to be sold to the highest bidder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.