Bad Web Site Gets Worse

Old Mar 1, 12, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
Today when logging back in, the sign in box is not hopping around behind boxes anymore.

I'm glad they fixed the issue.^
It was back to the moving targets this evening.
Old Mar 1, 12, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
Today when logging back in, the sign in box is not hopping around behind boxes anymore.

I'm glad they fixed the issue.^
LOL - I never had the problem before today, but now I have the moving target.
Old Mar 1, 12, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msuroo View Post
LOL - I never had the problem before today, but now I have the moving target.
Me too! Never had it until tonight.
Old Mar 1, 12, 10:24 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. As a data guy, I would love to know how it's performing. I can only assume they did some A/B testing (which is dead easy to do) and got better results with B.
Old Mar 1, 12, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
The save-the-date feature works well when you are shopping around. For those of us who go into Marriott.com to make a month's worth of reservations, it can be problematic.

I think the poster's issue is that after you make a reservation for, let's say, March 15-16, you click to make another reservation, and the date is still populated as March 15-16 when you put in the information for the next reservation. If you're not careful, you can make a reservation for the wrong day. Previously, you would get a system error message reminding you to choose a date.

THIS WAS NOT AS BIG AN ISSUE WHEN YOU WOULD EASILY SEE ALL YOUR UPCOMING RESERVATIONS on one easy-to-read page. Now that you have to spin the Price is Right reservation wheel that doesn't show reservation dates or click to get to a sparse page of information-free reservation links, it harder to recheck the dates and easier to wind up with a reservation on the wrong date.
correct...it just lists a bunch of random dates..i don't care if it remembers the date in the same session if i am shopping other rates...BUT for instance, i was trying to book something today for a stay in april...the stupid calendar wouldn't budge...i couldn't type in the date and i got a list of dates i'd used on other sessions...

cleared out all the browser crap.....evenutally it worked.....but WHY can't the calendar just load????

i hate that stupid reservation wheel and i hate the darned pop up for cancelled ressies...can't we just have a list? ALL upcomings and all cancelled??
Old Mar 1, 12, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
After rereading megtravels' post I actually think she is talking about the browser's autocomplete feature since she used the phrase: That is the reason that I added the note to my original response to her. The reservation dialog actually displays the last date used, not the "last few dates" used.

I left the original response to her intact just in case I was wrong. Perhaps Meg will come back and set us straight.
yup..sorry, i have been preoccupied with attempting to get the *$^W#($*&^Q website to accept dates...Arrrghh....

i hate autocomplete unless i WANT it to autocomplete....and for some reason, it was doing this with Chrome, IE and the fox....

it wasn't broken...what possessed them to FIX it...???

the only res site i hate more is *wood...

Wonder if the bleeping up of the website is at all related to the launch of roomkey.com? i think i will just go through that to get into marriott.com

(if y'all haven't seen/heard of it, roomkey.com is a joint venture of Hilton, IHG, marriott, choice, wyndham and hyatt...a nice neat, clean way to see all the brands without 9000000 other extraneous pieces of $%!^ )
Old Mar 2, 12, 6:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ranman1973 View Post
I can only assume they did some A/B testing (which is dead easy to do) and got better results with B.
What are "better results"? If it is based on mouse clicks, then they definitely got better results. That is assuming B is the latest version of their web site.

I rarely say this about some unknown person or entity, but whoever is responsible for designing and signing off on these changes should be fired immediately.

It is so sad as Marriott had a great web site prior to Nov 2009. Sure there were minor, minor, changes that could have been made to that web site to make it functionally better, but it was great.
Old Mar 2, 12, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by ranman1973 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. As a data guy, I would love to know how it's performing. I can only assume they did some A/B testing (which is dead easy to do) and got better results with B.
They must have tested with the wrong consumers, just like many of their other recent changes to MR. I was a frequent user of the 'old' website and it allowed me to do what I really want to do. The new site has a lot of clutter with features I will never use and no longer does what is of value to me. There is too much marketing clutter. I can't believe that you no longer can add your MR number to a reservation without calling an agent.
Old Mar 2, 12, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
I just discovered whatever one else is complaining about with my last log in. What a trainwreck.
Old Mar 3, 12, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM 4.6 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA EXP
Marriott Concierge I will volunteer to help

Clearly the IT team has little or no interaction with heavy travels that needs to quick do and see things. I am offering my time to beta test or even discuss new changes. PM me if you are interested. I have 30+ years of IT experience and know what is reasonable.

Henry
Old Mar 3, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I hate the new website. And I don't use the word "hate" lightly. As another poster mentioned above, Marriott has (against all odds) now gotten their website down to the almost unimaginably bad level of Hilton's.

And I am another person who now seems to have dropped from PP to Plat. If true, it really pisses me off because last year I had 118 nights--every single one of them at FS Marriott, Renaissance, or Ritz-Carlton along with associated spend at restaurants, gift shops, parking, etc. I haven't checked the receipts, but my guess is that my average revenue for each of those 118 nights was $200. Add to that, that I've been PP for four years and lifetime platinum for three, and I just take it as a slap in the face to be downgraded.

And yes, I've read the posts from those who have gotten their PP credentials in the mail this year and who have verified that there is no tangible difference in benefits. I don't care. Even if PP is nothing more than a black card and a different phone number, it will piss me off to be downgraded after the loyalty I've shown this company...
Old Mar 3, 12, 7:45 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I can't get to Marriott.com. I tried for the past 2 hours but no luck.
Old Mar 4, 12, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by megtravels View Post
i hate that stupid reservation wheel and i hate the darned pop up for cancelled ressies...can't we just have a list? ALL upcomings and all cancelled??
Stupid site (Marriott's) keeps freezing on me. Grrr!

However, if you click on the "View All" link just above the reservation wheel, it does give you a list of all upcoming reservations as a pop-up. That list also includes cancellations.
Old Mar 4, 12, 1:44 pm

Marriott is one of the founding partners of RoomKey, which has a better interface and links straight to the booking page of Marriott.com.
Old Mar 4, 12, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If you want to talk about devaluations, the website is a great place to start. Functionality has been sacrificed for appearance. I cannot emphasize enough how much of a pain this is.

Marriott's mobile site is not as easy to use as Hyatt's, and I have fading memories of how "clean" regular the Marriott web site was a few years ago.

I really do not get why they cannot focus more on the functioning aspect of the website. If they really need to have extra visual fluff to attract the infrequent traveler, they should give the user the option of an "expert" mode that is more focused on function. This would make the more frequent guests like me happy.

Search this Thread